990cc
990cc
City: Darlington
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

M7RR replace Avon Ultra sport 3D

Post by Thirdway » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:00 pm

I'm off to Scotland on Friday for 3 days and the Avons are beginning to show signs of shoulder wear. No problem with squaring off, just the shoulders, particularly on the front. Thought I better change them earlier than risk getting them down to the canvas. There's still plenty of wear, but the front profile is just giving a touch of nervousness at high speeds and its dropping into corners a bit.

Anyway Metzeler M7RRs fitted.

It's always true that new tyres just feel better, but, as I was riding on wet roads and new tyres I was a touch worried, but took it steady.

I think these tyres suit the SMT really well. I can remember being a little bit careful with the Avons and it took a while to work up the confidence to throw the bike around. The M7RR give loads of confidence, even in the wet I really felt quite happy. As the roads dried a bit I began to explore them. It was all I could do to restrain myself from flinging it about. It's a really nice tyre, it makes the bike feel more settled and it rolls onto its side with a precision feel. I thought the Avons were neutral, but these tyres seem very carefully profiled never to feel that any angle of lean takes more or less effort. That means less need to counter the lean.

They are also very plush, yet, weirdly I can feel exactly what the road surface is like. It like a sensor connected to my back side, but it's not harsh in any way. It makes the suspension feel as if it's working better. The tyre is skipping across imperfections, it's rolling over them and staying glued to the road which I've never felt on sports touring rubber. This isn't a pure sports tyre of course, but it's definitely got the feeling of a pair of light running shoes, compared to a heavier walking shoe.

£267 ride in ride out which I thought wasn't too bad. I noticed that there wasn't much in the way of weights in the rear and none at all on the front which is a good sign.

Bug
675cc
675cc
City: West Wales.
Year: 2010
Colour: Silver

Re: M7RR replace Avon Ultra sport 3D

Post by Bug » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:22 pm

I was considering putting these tyres onto my 690 Duke when they are due, so nice to read some feedback.
But I will be putting Metzelers sports touring Roadtec 01's onto my SMT next, as it just makes sense with the year round weather I encounter (often wet!).
Both have been highly recommended if you are to believe some of the motorcycling press.
2010 KTM SMT
2012 KTM 690 Duke

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:15 am

Few lads I know tried the new Roadtecs and weren't all that happy with them. They had the M7RR previously so it might just be familiarity. They actually preferred the Z8, but on a heavier touring BMW.

Sport touring there is still a general feeling that the BT023 is the better bet-personally I found the tyre a bit wooden, but it grips well in wet or dry and lasts a lot of miles.

Tyre dealer likes the new Roadsmart 3s.

The best tyre in the wet, bar none, is the PR3 and it lasts well. I found it to be a bit woolly and shuffled about at the front, but it sticks well in the dry. In the wet, it's almost better.

The key to all these tyres is the mix of wear, handling, warm up time and water clearance. The amount of silica in the mix gives faster warm up and better grip on wet roads. The more grooves, the better the water clears, but the less precise the tyre is in handling. The cooler a tyre runs the longer it lasts, which means a low silica tyre.

There isn't a bad tyre. The M7RR doesn't wear as well and won't be as good at clearing water, but will still have high grip levels. The PR3 could cope with a river, so high speeds on autobahns won't produce Aqua planing. However, few of us ride that quickly in the wet, so the M7 should be fine on wet British roads. That's the theory.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Colour: Black

Post by Gimlet » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:33 pm

I've had M7s on mine for about 1000 miles now. I absolutely love em. I use on my Ducati and my 1290. Those bikes get thrashed and scratched and eat whatever tyre is put on them but I was wary of using them on the SMT as its a more general purpose bike and I thought perhaps they'd square off to quickly. I was using Roadsmart IIs before and I was very happy with them but I'd been finding the tyre edge and the limit of grip rather too often so thought I'd go up to the M7s.
Like your description of the way they turn in Thirdway. That's exactly how I find them. Smooth, progressive, quick but predictable. No hint of squaring so far and chicken strips down to a fag paper which suggests the profile suits the bike and the sort of riding I'm doing. I think they compliment an already effortlessly chuckable chassis and really bring out the best I the bike.
I have found them most assured when run a little firmer than my usual pressures. 38R/35F suit me perfectly.

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:05 am

I've decided to try Metzelers recommended pressures rather than KTM. That's 2.2 at the front and 2.5 rear. So firmer than we normally run the rears, but slightly softer at the front. I find the front normally catapults off things so I'm wondering if this will tame it. Not tried it yet. Felt pretty good at 2.4/2.5 which was what the tyre fitter had used.

Nordic09
250cc
250cc
City: Helsinki
Year: 2011

Post by Nordic09 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Fitted Roadtec 01 rear, and after worn pr2 it is really good, on tour and fast roads and tire shape and turning seem good par with conti sportattack 2 up front. Next summer I'll change Roadtec01 also up front.. Been also considering some metzeler spot tyre to front but according their table, the recommend roadtec also to front for smt. 2,2/2,5 pressures.
KTM SMT 2010 (Rottweiler and map in, secondaries, SAS and O2 off)
ex Triumph Street Triple R 2013 (too little torque)
ex Triumph Street Triple R 2011 (stolen)
ex Honda CR125 1989
ex Suzuki RG125 1985
ex Yamaha YZ80 1987

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:45 pm

There is a note on the Metzeler site which says the pressures are a guide only and the proper pressures are as recommended by the motorcycle manufacturer.

I used the M7s in the pouring rain for 8 hours or so of riding and gradually explored the grip. I have to say they performed really well and gave no moments on wet roads despite the abuse I gave them. That was with hard panniers fitted too. Not managed to explore the edges quite yet, although pretty much there on the right shoulder. Seem well behaved, easy turning with a neutral feel over the entire angle of lean, no sudden drops or resistance.

I suspect the Roadtecs are a tad more comfortable over rough roads but a little less accurate.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Colour: Black

Post by Gimlet » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:38 pm

I'm wary of Roadtec 01s after the tankslapping trouble I had with Z8s. I'm off on a bit of a tour shortly. The M7s only have about 500 miles on them so I'll keep them on and see how they stand up to touring. If it has to be a sports touring tyre I'm minded to try Angel GTs. Standard fit on the 1290 GT so they ought to be fine on the SMT.