675cc
675cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Pilot Power/Road to Battlax

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:35 pm

Hello

I've been using Michelin tyres on my SMT since ownership (4 years). I currently run a Power and Road combo: A Pilot Road 4 on the back and a Pilot Power 3 on the front. I find this is a good combo for my style. I have never used Battlax's on this bike. Before the SMT, I owned a 06 Superduke and before that a GSXR1000. Both these previous bikes I ran exclusively Battlax's (BT series) on them.

The Michelins work really well, and now that they are shagged and need replacing, I should really get some more. However, as a change, I am thinking of getting the very latest Bridgestone tech: The Hypersport S21 series. What are people's thoughts on this ?. This tyre is marketed as a road sports tyre, but is it ?. Has anybody had experience with this tyre ?

My riding: Although I stick to the speed limits now days, I do work the tyres pretty hard. Hills, twisty roads. I like to drift the bike through round abouts and corners. Front wheel is mostly lifted out of intersections. Boolean throttle control type of guy. Every stop is an emergency stop etc. I don't care about millage, although I don't want a tyre that only lasts less than 3000km before it's bald or a less than a few months worth of heat cycles before it starts loosing it's handling (ie: I don't want a race tyre. It has to be a road sports tyre for every day use).

akuma
125cc
125cc
City: aberystwyth
Year: 2011
Model: SMT

Re: Pilot Power/Road to Battlax

Post by akuma » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:23 am

The launch of the s21 was in abu dhabi not long ago and it hammered it down and was praised highly for its wet weather grip but its the dry weather performance which they have shown a marked improvements over bridgestones last sports tyre the s20 evo- bridgestone also claims they give a 36% increase in mileage which is really good for a sports tyre. They would be a very good alternative to your michelins and when my road 4s are done i will be changing over to bridgestones to but will be going the t30 evo route instead.

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc

Post by limeyduffa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks for feedback akuma. Interesting how you are going to the T30's. I had a quick look. They are a touring tyre ?. My last experience with Battlax tourers was the BT2x series 9 years ago. I found that they took ages to warm up before having acceptable grip (and predictable release), and before that they would unpredictably skip out or loose the front. I got rid of them after 100km.

akuma
125cc
125cc

Post by akuma » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:38 pm

The t30 evo is more of a touring tyre yes but most modern sport touring tyres have the performance of sports tyres anyway- as an example the ron haslam race school used to use 023s and now use the t30s on their track bikes which is a testament to their grip levels but you don't compromise on mileage then- its highly unlikely you would out perform a set on t30s on the road anyway but if its very fast road riding you are after and arent concerned about mileage then the s21 might suit your riding style more.

if your last bridgestone was an 020 or 021 based on how long ago it was then you will be amazed at how far they have progressed since then.

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:17 pm

I got the Bridgestone Battlax S21's fitted to the rear and front today. After the mundane ride back to work (which told me nothing), I decided to scrub the tyres in up a section of road called the Chain of Ponds after work.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.818 ... 146191,14z

My first impressions: I don't like em !. They grip really well, they point well (ie: they go were I tell them to go), but I don't like the feeling. Infact, they grip a bit too well. I actually like a bit of slip in and coming out of corners.

When I got home, I decided to check the pressure in the tyres. As suspected, the fitter has loaded them with 36/42, instead of 34/34. so I'll need another ride in the hills to get a true indication. I probably can't do it this weekend as it's predicted to be rainy and windy (I Windsurf in those conditions ! :D).

I'll give it another few weeks of riding and report back. 1st impressions are the best. This is normally happens for all products I use.

akuma
125cc
125cc

Post by akuma » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:36 pm

interesting you would say they grip too well but i suppose tyres are a subjective thing really and it depends what you are looking for when it comes to the performance of tyres for me its all about accuracy of the steering, the confidence you have in the grip levels in both the wet and dry and the feedback they give the rider when working. i think you may have gotten too used to the miss matched pair you had on before the power being a sport tyre and the road being a sport touring tyre which have different levels of performance as it is so your front will grip more than your rear which causes the slip that you like. whenever you fit a new set of tyres there is some period of adjustment to get used to them but i think if you give it time you will adapt- would be interested in your update though

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi All

I've been for a few rides on my new BATTLAX S21's tyres (front and rear). The more I ride them, the more I hate them !!!!. Before I decide to ditch them and get what I had before, I what to experiment with tyre pressure. Has anybody had experience with playing around with this variable ?. I have always stuck to KTM's recommended 34/34 and had no problem with it.

The 1st ride was using 42/36 PSI pressure. The tyres felt weird, but not exceptionally offensive.

So I changed the pressure to 34/34. The tyres felt like a slug. Would not turn, horrible. No reaction. It was like I had flat tyres !

So, I put 40/36 in today. The ride felt much better (more nibble, more reactive, could corner the bike better etc). I try for a few days, then put 42/36 in and try that.

Thoughts ? :)

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc

Post by limeyduffa » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:37 am

Yep, the 40/36 pressure in these S21's definitely make the bike feel and turn better.. although, coming out of corners, intersections rolling it on with he front wheel lifting up, the bike isn't as settled and controlled at the Pilot Road 4 (rear). The S21 rear tends to make the bike track off course and it's hard to steer the bike with the front wheel up with this S21.

Anyway.. that's my feedback.

Winterwolf
250cc
250cc
City: Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Year: 2013

Post by Winterwolf » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Good info cheers... As was looking to replace the continent attacks on my SMT as not keen on them. Was just going to put Road 4 on, but now you got me thinking with the t30 and s21!

Have done the Ron hallam says a few times now on both classes and must admit the t30 were spot on... Even in the wet.

Any chance to show off me getting a knee down on them [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc

Post by limeyduffa » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:30 am

No worries. Cool pic :)