Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Low speed slide..

Post by Gimlet » Sat May 30, 2015 8:35 pm

Had a bit of a slide today on the SMT. Going round a second gear roundabout, good surface, good camber, clean and dry, no loose stuff, steady line, light throttle. Shouldn't have been a problem but the back went out good and proper like I'd run off the edge of the tyre. Straight on to the pegs, knocking my foot off and I went round sideways speedway style. Managed to pull it up on the bars and somehow got away with it.
The tyres were Metzeler Z8s. I knew there were still some chicken strips on so I pulled over to see if I had run off. It didn't feel that far over and it wasn't. I was nowhere near the edge. Nearly 1/2" to go.
I picked these tyres because I had them on a Speed Triple and really rated them. I took them right to the edge on that bike and they loved it. I guess they just don't suit this lighter, taller bike. I think I'll rag the middles out of them and change to Dunlop Spotsmarts.
Any one else had trouble with these tyres?

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Re: Low speed slide..

Post by Gimlet » Sat May 30, 2015 10:16 pm

Or maybe M7RRs.... Running my second set on the Ducati and they're superb.

bambadoo
675cc
675cc
City: Haugesund
Year: 2009

Post by bambadoo » Sat May 30, 2015 10:34 pm

Yes. Had Z8 interact last season. Not again. Had many "near accidents". Back again to Michelin now.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Sat May 30, 2015 10:52 pm

PR3s?

bambadoo
675cc
675cc
City: Haugesund
Year: 2009

Post by bambadoo » Sat May 30, 2015 10:55 pm

pr4. 2 seasons ago I used pr3.

xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Post by xaotikos » Sun May 31, 2015 11:52 pm

I have m7rr for some time now and they feel very good. When warm (does not take long), no spins or slides unless i want to.

ceh
Supporter
Supporter
City: winton
Colour: Silver

Post by ceh » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:39 am

check your suspension settings against the manual.
I had a similar experience some years ago on my new 2010 smt ,and the suspension settings were all over the place

kennykjam
125cc
125cc
City: Amsterdam
Year: 2012

Post by kennykjam » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:28 am

I just put on my first set of pr3s. First impressions, they feel fantastic. Lots of good reviews here and else where online too.

xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by xaotikos » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:52 am

ceh wrote:check your suspension settings against the manual.
I had a similar experience some years ago on my new 2010 smt ,and the suspension settings were all over the place
Thats true also...i had a local mechanic setting up the suspension and that was really stiff. Out of every corner i had a slide

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:30 pm

I don't t think I've got a suspension problem. I've been doing a lot of incremental fine tuning of the suspension recently, starting from the stock "sport" settings. I'm not a million miles away from stock settings but as sporty as I can go without making it unacceptably harsh. The front end is now much more stable and planted than it was on stock settings and the rear is nicely taut with no wallowing but not harsh. I'm fitting a pre-load adjuster which arrived today because I feel it could do with a couple mm more preload but I'm certainly not running out of static sag. On fast downhill switchbacks the rear tyre feels like its being sucked down onto the tarmac and under heavy braking there's not a hint of patter.
I'm sure there are still small improvements to be had but I'm confident I've got it pretty damn good.
This was a low speed let-go on a level surface with little suspension movement or excessive cornering forces. The fact that this incident had not wiped out the chicken strips suggests that the same angles of lean at higher speed with more tyre heat and more G forces at work are being maintained without a problem, but cooler and slower and the grip isn't there. I'm sure that is down to a lack of tyre grip rather than a lack of mechanical grip.

I have M7RRs on a 1098 Streetfighter and the cornering grip is terrific. My bike's been tweaked and it has a very aggressive power delivery. It is all too easy to exit turns with the front wheel airborne while still cranked over if you're not concentrating. (There is no TC). You can't get away with that without exceptionally good rear wheel grip and I won't risk experimenting with other tyres on the Ducati. But I'm thinking these might make for a sticky sports touring tyre for the SMT. The last rear on the Ducati went to nearly 4000 miles but a lot of those were cold weather miles using modest power. Aggressive riding on warmer roads halves that mileage so I figure I should average 3000 miles out of an M7rr rear on the less powerful SMT. I'd be quite happy with that if it means staying sunny side up.