500cc
500cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Continental Motion sports touring tyres on SMT

Post by r0bb0mc » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:11 am

Hi guys. I've just bought Continental Motion tyres for my SMT and will fit them over the next month while I carry out a major service. The cost for the set was $340 delivered from Melbourne. Normally I'm paying around $450-$500 in canberra for a set of quality hoops.
I decided on a budget set of tyres for my ride from Canberra to Port Douglas via Bourke in May. A lot of flat, boring, red roo dodging, highway riding going up but the return trip will be closer to the coast with lots of mountains roads and gravel. If I kept my current Pilot Power 3's fitted for the trip, I'd say they'd be squared off badly by the time I reached North Queensland.
There's not a lot written about these tyres on the web, so I thought I'd give my thoughts. The tyres will have over 5,000 km by the time i get back to familiar roads. I should find out then how different they are compared to my old PR4's and Angel ST's. I don't expect these tyres to be as good but I'm very curious to see how they go.
Has anyone else here run these tyres before?
Rob

Hotbrakes
125cc
125cc

Re: Continental Motion sports touring tyres on SMT

Post by Hotbrakes » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:13 pm

I've run a couple sets, the price here in the US is on par with Stinkos...They handle very well but the rear doesn't last, I get about the same mileage as I would from a sporty tire, roughly 3k miles. For double the price I can get PR4's and get at least 3 times the wear out of a rear. That makes the choice clear...

r0bb0mc
500cc
500cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Post by r0bb0mc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:47 am

I've done just over 6000 kms with the rear conti motion. It's pretty much knackered now, after mostly flat highway riding. I did take it on some gravel roads and mountain twisties, and it was just as good as anything else I've used. The tyre did scallop a fair bit but didn't affect handling at all. I would gladly put a conti motion on again, if I couldn't afford a premium tyre at the time. I haven't tried the front motion tyre yet, I'm reluctant to use anything else but a PIlotPower3 on the front. Next rear tyre will be a Angel GT.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Post by Gimlet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Don't get Z8s. You'll fall off.
That's some run. Say hello to Port Douglas for me. Lovely place.