Conti TrailAttack 2

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Conti TrailAttack 2

Post by ogden » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:47 am

Continental have a new tyre out this year, the TrailAttack 2, which KTM are using as OE rubber for the 1190 Adventure. I had a trip coming up which would involve an unknown variety of road surfaces (documented elsewhere) and knowing that the PR3 is awful on gravel I thought the TA2 might be a worth a punt.

So far I've done some 5000 miles on them, on everything from Autobahn and gravel to rubble and dirt, in 40 degree heat and pissing rain, and they seem to be up to the task. They're probably about a third worn, maybe half (it's hard to tell by eye and I didn't measure the tread depth before I left) and are still going strong. They haven't felt particularly confidence-inspiring in the wet - certainly not on a par with the PR3 - but for everything else they've been tip top. I'm back to cross-town commuting now, with straight-line stop-start riding which kills rear tyres in short order, so I won't get to see how long they'd last under normal riding conditions, but if I needed an all-round tyre for a variety of surfaces, and there was a good reason to discount the PR3, I wouldn't hesitate before buying the TA2 again.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

kaivalagi
990cc
990cc
City: Norwich
Colour: White

Re: Conti TrailAttack 2

Post by kaivalagi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:43 pm

It'll be interesting to see how well they survive with the daily commute!

For now I'm gonna try some Angel GTs out as the PR3's haven't lasted as long as I'd like due to lots of commuting and the GTs may do better
My other bike is a rocket ;)

Chileansurg
125cc
125cc
City: Santiago
Year: 2012
Colour: Silver

Post by Chileansurg » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:16 pm

ogden wrote: So far I've done some 5000 miles on them, on everything from Autobahn and gravel to rubble and dirt, in 40 degree heat and pissing rain, and they seem to be up to the task. They're probably about a third worn, maybe half (it's hard to tell by eye and I didn't measure the tread depth before I left) and are still going strong.
The tread depth of the rear tire is supposed to be 8,6 mm when new.

Cheers!
Current ride:
KTM 990 SMT 990 Keity '12

Previous loved ones:
Honda VTR-1000F The Storm '03
Honda VFR-800 Viffer '07
Yamaha TDM-900 T-Deemer '08
Honda CBF-250 Twister '06

ogden

Post by ogden » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Just checked, 3.5mm left.
ogden

falcon4
675cc
675cc
City: FAYETTEVILLE
Year: 2010

Post by falcon4 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:13 pm

kaivalagi wrote:It'll be interesting to see how well they survive with the daily commute!

For now I'm gonna try some Angel GTs out as the PR3's haven't lasted as long as I'd like due to lots of commuting and the GTs may do better
I just got my Angel ST rear in, so installing that soon.
Good to hear the things about the trail attack.
Maybe I will reduce the commuting on the SMT to save the tire a bit and start saving more
gas and cheaper tires on my KLX250 ;)

matejs
250cc
250cc
City: KP
Year: 2010
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Post by matejs » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 am

Chileansurg wrote:
ogden wrote: So far I've done some 5000 miles on them, on everything from Autobahn and gravel to rubble and dirt, in 40 degree heat and pissing rain, and they seem to be up to the task. They're probably about a third worn, maybe half (it's hard to tell by eye and I didn't measure the tread depth before I left) and are still going strong.
The tread depth of the rear tire is supposed to be 8,6 mm when new.

Cheers!
For the 180 mm tyre, the tread depth is 6,8 mm.

br

ogden

Post by ogden » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:30 am

Never did get to find out exactly how long these would last - just had to get the rear replaced (with a PR3) after picking up a 4" bolt through the tyre yesterday - it was still clanking around inside the tyre when I took the wheel in for fitting this morning.

Did about 6400 miles in the end, 5000 miles or so of which was trundling around Europe, the rest mostly commuting across town.

Final verdict: wear OK, seem to work on gravel, feel OK in the dry, but utterly hateful in the wet. I won't be buying them again unless I have a firm reason to do so. Back to PR3s until something better comes along.
ogden

Yoozy
Supporter
Supporter
City: Extreme Mancunian.
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Post by Yoozy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:48 pm

falcon4 wrote:
kaivalagi wrote:It'll be interesting to see how well they survive with the daily commute!

I just got my Angel ST rear in, so installing that soon.
Good to hear the things about the trail attack.
Maybe I will reduce the commuting on the SMT to save the tire a bit and start saving more
gas and cheaper tires on my KLX250 ;)

Good tyres them Angels, I got 5000 out of the rear on my Tuono. Torrential rain, euro jaunts, track day all in its stride. First thing I'm doing when my bike lands.
A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM