Pilot Road 3

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Re: Pilot Road 3

Post by ogden » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:41 pm

kaivalagi wrote:Well, just ordered a replacement rear PR3, after just over 5K miles the tyre is wearing a little thin now in the center
Hark at you, master of understatement.

I ditched my rear after about 4000 miles despite it having a good 1.5mm of tread left in the middle, for two reasons. Firstly, it was playing havoc with the handling while loaded up. Secondly, I was a thousand miles from home and it was my last chance to go tyre shopping without cocking up a 300 mile riding day.

Riding back to the hotel with the new hoop was six or seven hundred different kinds of awesome.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

kaivalagi
990cc
990cc
City: Norwich
Colour: White

Post by kaivalagi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:14 pm

ogden wrote:
kaivalagi wrote:Well, just ordered a replacement rear PR3, after just over 5K miles the tyre is wearing a little thin now in the center
Hark at you, master of understatement.
lol, I was thinking of a replacement about a week ago but thought no more of it, then did some serious miles this week (no work at present :)) and was a little taken a back at the wear when I checked today...I think the wear rate increased dramatically once it started to flatten off.

Anyway, I look forward to a nice round tyre again tomorrow, just hope I get it scrubbed in without too much rain around :)
My other bike is a rocket ;)

ogden

Post by ogden » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:24 pm

kaivalagi wrote:I was thinking of a replacement about a week ago but thought no more of it, then did some serious miles this week (no work at present :)) and was a little taken a back at the wear when I checked today
Same thing happened to me with the OE Contis. When I left on the Friday it had plenty of tread left. When a mate looked at it 24 hours' later it was bald down the middle - I've been using sensible tyres on bikes for so long it didn't occur to me that a scenic route from Wimbledon to Devil's Bridge would be enough to finish it off.
kaivalagi wrote:Anyway, I look forward to a nice round tyre again tomorrow, just hope I get it scrubbed in without too much rain around :)
I can recommend a weekend trip to Belgium for scrubbing a tyre in. That or an energetic ride from Huesca to Biescas chasing the back end of a 'Busa. ;)
ogden

kaivalagi
990cc
990cc
City: Norwich

Post by kaivalagi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:37 pm

ogden wrote:I can recommend a weekend trip to Belgium for scrubbing a tyre in. That or an energetic ride from Huesca to Biescas chasing the back end of a 'Busa. ;)
<derail>I'm heading up north when I get back from my holiday in September and have had the third service done (need another 600 miles on the bike first), I wont be ready for work again until after all that :) Not had a holiday in 3 years so I think it's well justified...I have someone to call on in Edinburgh and stop over, and another to share a cup of tea with in Perth...not sure on the roads in between and over to Skye yet...that will be for another thread closer the time...</derail>
My other bike is a rocket ;)

deanodog
125cc
125cc
City: Brighton
Year: 2010
Colour: Silver

Post by deanodog » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi All,

Got back from our five day trip to Switzerland and Italy in June with two days being very heavy wet weather. Nice to see so many SMT fans out there! :lol:

My bike's odometer now says 13,685 miles (about 4,500 on the PR3s) and still plenty of life in them yet. No sign of squaring. The tread is still so deep. My OEM Conti's would have given up by now.

I had so much confidence in the tyre heading up cold wet Swiss mountain roads. It will be my only choice of tyre for my machine.

Interestingly, where the weather was so heavy with rain and doing a lot of motorway miles on the first day, a friend said my brother's SMTs Contis sprayed the water up like a Jet Ski where it looked like I was sitting on a mist of water. Goes to show how much water is dispersed to the sides.

If you want to see a bit of footage going up the Stelvio Pass in Italy, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijzzuNnoGuw
Or there is the B500: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lp8PxQK7oY
deanodog wrote: May 2011,

I changed from Conti's to PR3s...and...WOW!

If you haven't changed to these tyres then do! So much more confidence. I got caught out in heavy rain yesterday and it was the same a if I was riding in the dry. Not a twitch. Even my mate said on the Scala he couldn't believe how much water the tyres were displacing.

I changed both boots at 9,000, now at 10,500 -- still showing as if untouched. Late June, off for a 2000 mile round trip to Switzerland so will see what wear an tear will be done then.

So much confidence!

Buy peeps..buy!

ogden

Post by ogden » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:08 pm

deanodog wrote:I had so much confidence in the tyre heading up cold wet Swiss mountain roads. It will be my only choice of tyre for my machine
I took mine out for a quick test ride yesterday and around Dorking the rain kicked in with a vengeance. By Guildford it'd pretty much stopped but the road was still wet. Giving it some mild welly on the approach to Newland's Corner I had the back step out and what felt like a *huge* shake of the head as it fishtailed before regaining traction and straightening up.

PR3s are great tyres but they can still let go in the wet.
ogden

Ktkeith

Post by Ktkeith » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Fitted PR3's today £274 fitted took my breath away but I had no confidence in the Contis on our crappy Essex roads. Not nearly flexible enough to cope with all the grooves and tramlines. Hope these are better.

Aircon
125cc
125cc
City: Camberley

Pilot Road 3

Post by Aircon » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Road pilot 3 = nearly killed me :( ... I agree in the wet yes there good but on a hot day they don't compete in any form with the Conti attacks ... I spent ten days on the rp3 in Austria in may expecting rain but it very hot lol ... I found the only way to get any grip on the hair pins was to spin the tyre up and flick the bike around the corner moto cross style ... The plus point of the rp3 is it lasted me 3500 miles and still had another 1000 at least but the fact the tyres kept letting go on hot days I have replaced back to contis ( first sets only lasted 2500 miles lol ) I left the rp3 with the tyre dealer as a bonus ... Any way my fingers hurting from typing now night all
BMW G650x moto
KTM' 200 exc
KTM 990 SMT abs

Hampshire /Surrey based ...
Live while ur alive as ur a long time dead ....

ogden

Post by ogden » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:22 am

A couple of months ago I had a new PR3 rear fitted in northern Aragón while on holiday. After having the tyre fitted I rode back to my hotel 80 miles or so away in the mountains. It was 40 degrees Celcius in the shade due to hot air blowing up from northern Africa, the TV news in town was all about tarmac melting in Madrid, and the locals were all apologising for the heat and saying it was not just unseasonable but downright weird.

With every mile that passed between the tyre dealer and the hotel, I could feel the tyre gradually scrubbing in and coming up to temperature, with grip slowly increasing from an initial level of diesel-covered-icerink to shit-on-a-blanket.

On my journey back to the hotel I was accompanied by a mate, Neal, on his Hayabusa. Neal is a Manx GP racer, due to do the TT this year, and has a 115mph lap of the island under his belt on a 600. He's not slow, put it that way. A few weeks ago I had him out with me at Cadwell Park (me on my GSXR1000, him on his BSB spec ZX10R) for an instructor session. His main observation was that after I bought that tyre he'd had trouble keeping up with me on the way back to the hotel, and that, if anything, I seemed to be slower on a litrebike on track.

All of which leads me to suggesting that if you think a PR3 can't cope with an SMT in hot weather on mountain roads, either
a) your tyre was fitted badly, and/or
b) your tyre was inflated to the wrong pressure (by a significant margin) and/or
c) there's something seriously wrong with the way you ride a bike and/or
d) the tyre was a lemon

I don't mean to be rude, and I honestly hope it's a) or b), not c) or (for Michelin's sake) d), but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a PR3 on an SMT in hot weather on mountain roads. Really. Honestly. From the bottom of my heart.
ogden

Aircon
125cc
125cc

Pilot Road 3

Post by Aircon » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:33 am

Lol not sure if to take offence really ill make my self clearer but on the mountain roads I was on they went from minus temps to plus temps in the valley ... Max elevation of 2600 .. Lowest 200 .

The tyres I worked very hard but neither myself or the other rider on them could get any grip near the Conti at full lean over ( yes I can scrape my pegs ) ..

The final straw for me was the round a bout on my way to Guildford after going through the pirbright bends at a rapid pace the back end stepped out dramatically when laying the power on ... I went back and checked the road about out for debris / die sal Ect none there.... Dry day ... Tyre pressure definitely ok ..

So in short they may work in Spain but the expierience I've had with them is they are not a patch on the Conti ... So if your maxing the smt out wot about the instability with the hard acceleration ? Which again felt by my partner in crime on his duke..

As for your points

A: I did initially think it badly fitted so hence paid another £45 to have it refitted and rebalanced .... No joy ...

B: I checked tyre pressure at starting and mid ride and end of ride... I even tried nitrogen since I have a plentiful supply no joy ... I tried varying the pressure to give me more foot print ( yes slight squiggly ) but no joy
Still not a patch on the Conti ..

C: serious you criticise my riding ? Mmm nope definitely not that ... Had to adapt to riding on the road admittedly 20 years ago from my little ride off road but nope I'm a "competent rider" never done the isle but I'm fast and smooth ... I've not even done any track days to Guage myself against serious track riders but plan to change that soon after I've purchased a track bike of form ( I just made room by selling my exc :) ) Still trying to get weight down to 13 stone at least to give myself fighting chance. ( lost 2.4 stone in 6 weeks) ... I will admit I probably will need some track lessons one mainly being on how not to wear front and rear tyre out at the same time lol I have tried softening the front end but it felt not so good I've tried balancing my braking effort but the fact the back brake it not some thing to write home about lol ..

D: a lemon no just think it is horses for courses.. In the wet I could not complain on it .. The web site says they are no good for touring with weight Ect but on way back from Austria it rained cats and dogs and I'll agree they do clear some water .. At the wet patches from the snow melting in the mountains the grip was good ... BUT .. Not a patch on level ground normal English DRY weather..

Sooooo in conclusion I would buy rp3 if it pissing cat and dogs but for serious hard riding I'll use contis not only for the lean angle but the fact I can accelerate bloody hard still above 117 to the full speed ... I just accept the fact I m only gonna get 2000 miles if I'm nice to them ...
BMW G650x moto
KTM' 200 exc
KTM 990 SMT abs

Scutty
990cc
990cc
City: Guildford
Colour: Silver

Post by Scutty » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:45 am

Aircon,

It is a strange situation, I swapped over to PR3s about 5000 miles ago from the OEM Conti's and I have to agree with Ogden. Although the Conti's were grippy when warm, they took a long time to heat up, lost heat fast and gave inconsistant grip. Also, I found them poor in the wet and cold.
I live just down the road from you and drive the roads you mention all the time, I couldn't be happier with the PR3s plus, at 5k miles down, they look like they'll go to 8k before the rear needs replacing. I have also done a 7 day 2000 mile trip through the Alpes and the PR3s shone the whole trip, from 38C in Monaco to snow covered passes the constant grip was very confidence inspiring and I have ridden them to the edges - something I have struggles to do on other bikes/tyres.

I can only comment on my experience and I will be buying PR3s again.
2014 KMT 690 Enduro R and 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Because you can never have too much of a great thing!

Ktkeith

Post by Ktkeith » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:59 pm

My two penneth for what it's worth. I wonder if it is some tyres like weight on them and others don't. I have just thrown my Contis away with less than 2k on them. I only weigh ten stone and they kept breaking away on rough roads. I am not a hard rider, I don't ride the racing line I ride police style so no real power on until upright and constant power through the bends riding for visibility. I've never had a problem with Michelins so KT now has PR3,s fitted (since Wednesday) so I haven't really tested them yet as still wearing the wax off. But rode some freshly chippings dressed roads today and she felt a lot more stable, the Contis would have had the bike moving about. I tried reducing pressures but it made no difference. Perhaps the Contis need more weight than I've got.

Aircon
125cc
125cc

Pilot Road 3

Post by Aircon » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Lol that's me buggered then I'm losing weight .... God only knows but I do ride very hard and aggressive once I have warmth in the tyres ( I'm an enduro rider at heart I am afraid :) )
BMW G650x moto
KTM' 200 exc
KTM 990 SMT abs

manxzulu
250cc
250cc
City: South Shields

Post by manxzulu » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:08 pm

My gold plated PR3's have now done 3000 miles round Europe and still have loads of tread left. (Sportsmarts lasted 3500 miles) They are really good tyres in the wet but not as good as the Sportsmarts in the dry, which is expected I suppose. Comparing a sports tyre with a sports/touring tyre is not really fair.
If I get 7000 miles out of them then the Jock costs may well be worth it but I think I will be going for the new Dunlop Roadsmart 2 next time. My mate is a bike cop and he thinks they are the "dogs".

Anyone tried them on an SMT yet?

Count
250cc
250cc
City: Sleepy Hollow

Post by Count » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Yup, done 3k on the rear and 2k on the front. I recon they'll last very well, but that's about the only good thing I can say......

They slow the steering so much its like riding a log down the river!! and the warm up time is tedious.... pr3 s are better, they slow the steering, but not as much, a bit faster wearing though. And you don't need to pussyfoot around for ten miles in the rain before you can go round a corner without having to think about the tyres skittering about.

Also... had a front slide in the dry last week, wasn't going that quick either... but that could be anything... least it stayed upright.

Possibly a harder construction than what I like??
The michelin 2cts pr3s and conti ra2s I've used recently have all felt softer to poke at (technical I know!), and provided a far better ride.

Tyres are a very personal thing, I hate these with a passion!!

ogden

Post by ogden » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:03 pm

Count wrote:The michelin 2cts pr3s and conti ra2s I've used recently have all felt softer to poke at (technical I know!)
The PR3s at least have a *very* soft carcass. Highly flexible when not inflated compared to some of the other tyres I've had in my garage. I suspect that contributes to their ability to warm up quickly.
ogden

dflowers
900cc
900cc
City: Seattle

Post by dflowers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:36 pm

I just ordered a set of these tires. I have been running my 2010 SMR with the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas that came on it and do not like them. They would be great for the track but on the roads they feel harsh and do not inspire confidence. Also we are going into fall and winter which means cold and wet. Riding the Supercorsas in cold wet conditions is scary. I have a feeling these Pilot Road 3 tires are going to transform the way I ride this bike. I have always liked the Pilot Powers on other road/sport bikes.

ogden

Post by ogden » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:09 am

dflowers wrote:I just ordered a set of these tires. I have been running my 2010 SMR with the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas that came on it and do not like them. They would be great for the track but on the roads they feel harsh and do not inspire confidence. Also we are going into fall and winter which means cold and wet. Riding the Supercorsas in cold wet conditions is scary. I have a feeling these Pilot Road 3 tires are going to transform the way I ride this bike. I have always liked the Pilot Powers on other road/sport bikes.
I had a set of those on one of my gixers and hated them throughout. They're the only tyres I've ever had that I spent every moment wishing they'd wear out or pick up a nail in an unrepairable way. Usually I'd not blame the tyre, and just accept there was something going on in my head, but I had a chat with a racer mate and all the reasons I hated them tallied exactly with his reasons for loving them. Awful things, whereas PR3s are practically the second coming of the messiah in rubber hoop form. Be careful though - they do grip like shit to a blanket most of the time, but when they let go (and in really horrible conditions they will) you need to have your wits about you.
ogden

dflowers
900cc
900cc
City: Seattle

Post by dflowers » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:52 am

Thanks! Look forward to trying these tires.

r0bb0mc
500cc
500cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2012
Model: SMT

Post by r0bb0mc » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:19 am

I've just replaced my Pilot Radial 3's after 10k klm's. For Bitumen and Gravel roads, these tyres were great and I doubt if any other tyre would offer better performance \ tyre life for the SMT.

The only complaint I have for this tyre, is the difference in grip between the different tyre compounds when the rear tyre is over 1/2 worn. I have been caught out a few times with the rear tyre spinning under hard accel and then it will grip if the bike moves to the outer part of the tyre (only a fraction off the centre). Also, if sliding the rear slightly during downshifts into a tight corner the rear will move out until the outer section grips and stands the bike straight up (like a highside situ). I didn't encounter these problems with the conti and on previous bikes I used Bridgestones single compound.

I've just fitted Pirelli Angel ST tyres and I'm expecting to get slightly less milage out of them, but I'm curious to know if I will encounter the same problem as the dual compound tyre..

Note: I normally run between 32 - 34 psi front and rear. Temperatures have been cool, which I know doesn't help. I've never used a dual compound tyre prior to the PR3.

Other than this, I loved the PR3 on the SMT.