Pilot Road 3

Ktkeith

Re: Pilot Road 3

Post by Ktkeith » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Rangoonruns wrote:How about running pr3 front and 2 rear
If someone will pay for the tyres I will fit them and be a test pilot in the name of smt science
:lol: :lol: :lol:

lcjohnny
675cc
675cc
City: Bristol
Year: 2009
Colour: Silver
Model: SMT

Post by lcjohnny » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:11 am

Just fitted PR3s they feel good but I hope to get more than 3000ml out of this generation of tyres :(
Has anyone tried Dunlop Roadsmarts? - all the tests rate them and they gripped hard with good feel on my - caned R1100s :twisted:
Or Maxxis? :?:

BTW
Good news for UK Michelin users is that the factory approve repairs (only one per wheel)
which can save you over £100 if you get a nail in a new tyre like I just did
Jon
-------------------------
Sold it. Got an Aprilia Shiver

manxzulu
250cc
250cc
City: South Shields
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by manxzulu » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:31 am

I had tro get PR3 fitted in Scotland last year and they were not my first choice tyre (Also robbed of £315 for the pleasure) but have to say after a trip to the Italian lakes and back and a few trips to Scotland they have now done over 5000 miles and still look good for plenty more.
Been excellent in the wet and dry.
I will still be getting either Avon Ultra 3D XM or Pirelli Angel GT for my next set. A 12 day trip to Switzerland planned for next year.

falcon4
675cc
675cc
City: FAYETTEVILLE
Year: 2010

Post by falcon4 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:15 am

Scutty wrote:I am in the same boat - limited range from PR3s has pushed me over to Angel GTs (ordered this morning). TBH, longevity is the only complaint I have against the PR3s.
So why the GT and how do you like them so far?
thanks

Scutty
990cc
990cc
City: Guildford

Post by Scutty » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:15 am

Its still early days for the GTs but they seem to be as good as the PR3s but, its not cold atm, its not really raining much - I'm going to need a few more miles to get a decent picture of them.

Wearing well though - still looking brand new.
2014 KMT 690 Enduro R and 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Because you can never have too much of a great thing!

falcon4
675cc
675cc

Post by falcon4 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 pm

but why the GT version?
do a lot of 2 up?

Scutty
990cc
990cc
City: Guildford

Post by Scutty » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:53 am

I weigh enough to equate to 2-up :oops:

No, the GT is supposed to be longer wearing with same performance as the ST - (why would you buy the ST?)
2014 KMT 690 Enduro R and 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Because you can never have too much of a great thing!

kaivalagi
990cc
990cc
City: Norwich

Post by kaivalagi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:09 pm

I'm getting GTs fitted tomorrow AM, longer lasting than the PR3 I hope...if they are they'll work for me. It will be a good tyre I am sure, just maybe no so great on the track (no matter to me then) but will last longer than most...
My other bike is a rocket ;)

ogden
City: London

Post by ogden » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Speaking of tracks, I'm going to be at Snetterton again Sunday next week...
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

falcon4
675cc
675cc

Post by falcon4 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:29 am

Scutty wrote:I weigh enough to equate to 2-up :oops:

No, the GT is supposed to be longer wearing with same performance as the ST - (why would you buy the ST?)
Good question I guess.
I didn't realize the GT would wear longer, and thought maybe the stiffer tire would not handle as well.
My bike shop ordered the bt023 in the GT by mistake, and I never liked that one too much, so avoided
the GT and ordered the ST instead....Oooops again I guess, but I'm sure it will be fine, lol.
thanks,

lcjohnny
675cc
675cc
City: Bristol
Year: 2009
Model: SMT

Post by lcjohnny » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:51 pm

I changed the PR3s at 5,500 miles there was good tread left on the rear but it started whitelining viciously :(
The PR3 were much better than the original continental Attack but never really impressed me like PR2s did on my SuperDuke

So I have gone to Dunlop Roadsmarts - we shall see.... :geek: :mrgreen:
Jon
-------------------------
Sold it. Got an Aprilia Shiver

kaivalagi
990cc
990cc
City: Norwich

Post by kaivalagi » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:19 am

I'm still on the first set of Angel GTs, although they're not as confidence inspiring as the PR3's they have a much longer life...I'm 6000+ miles in on them so far and the rear is only just starting to square, just...the front is wearing worse on these though, not sure how they'll look when I've been through a second rear!
My other bike is a rocket ;)

deanodog
125cc
125cc
City: Brighton

Post by deanodog » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:20 pm

deanodog wrote:I changed from Conti's to PR3s...and...WOW!

If you haven't changed to these tyres then do! So much more confidence. I got caught out in heavy rain yesterday and it was the same a if I was riding in the dry. Not a twitch. Even my mate said on the Scala he couldn't believe how much water the tyres were displacing.

I changed both boots at 9,000, now at 10,500 -- still showing as if untouched. Late June, off for a 2000 mile round trip to Switzerland so will see what wear an tear will be done then.

So much confidence!

Buy peeps..buy!
UPDATE 25th July 2015: I can't believe I posted the above comment over THREE years ago. After having kids, naturally my annual leisure miles have dropped but saying that my machine has now reached 18,000 miles (9,000 miles later) and my tyres have come to the end of the road. I could have probably pushed another 1,000 miles out of them but seeing I am going on short adventure around the UK soon, I don't want to be interrupted by having to change my tyres then.

So impressed with the PR3s (doubling its distance compared to the Continental Attacks) I am firmly sticking with Michelins from hereon in. In that time Michelin developed the tyre further with the introduction of the PR4s so it made a natural choice to go with these. A bit of research and Michelin claim that these tyre's longevity is increased by 10% so I am aiming that my next tyre change will be around the 30,000 mile mark.

Not once with the PR3s did the bike twitch when low speed cornering (ie junctions) but found confidence when heading into corners on cold sunny mornings when the roads are slightly damp with dew.

Going back to our trip to Switzerland in 2012, we left on a Sunday morning under heavy rain which continued all day until our first night destination in Saarbrücken in Germany. My brother had Continental Attacks on his machine, mine with PR3s. A friend on his BMW GS commented the water displaced on the Attacks shot up like a jetski whereby my machine was riding a cloud of misted water! Just goes to show how the PR3s break up the water. The only downside with so much water being shoveled to the sides by the front tyre is that my boots became swimming pools.

The fronts wore through as much as the rear so there is a fantastic balance with the tyres working together. This means both can be changed at the same time therefore saving the need to change two rears to every front.

To add, my neighbour, who owns a Triumph Sprint, fitted GT PR4s to his machine. He covers a fair amount of miles each year and duly impressed with the first 4000 miles. He changed his tyres after using Bridgestones for many years. He commented that he's glad to have made the change. Comparing his tyres after a number of miles and mine which were brand new, yes there is some wear but you do really have to look to see the difference.