Tyre Pressures

pasen
500cc
500cc
City: Nässjö
Year: 2012

Re: Tyre Pressures

Post by pasen » Sat May 25, 2013 7:25 am

ogden wrote:Anything between 7 and 38 psi depending whether I've got a puncture, have checked the pressures lately, have accidentally set them a bit high or last set them on a really cold day.
That aint a really helpfull answer you know ;)
Swedish KTM 990 SMT 2012 owner
Excuse my English if it's bad sometimes ;)

Rangoonruns
990cc
990cc
City: Wolverhampton
Year: 2010
Colour: Silver

Tyre Pressures

Post by Rangoonruns » Sat May 25, 2013 10:28 am

Pasen
It is if you got a puncture lol
:)

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Post by ogden » Sat May 25, 2013 10:37 am

pasen wrote:
ogden wrote:Anything between 7 and 38 psi depending whether I've got a puncture, have checked the pressures lately, have accidentally set them a bit high or last set them on a really cold day.
It is if you interpret the answer as "on the road it's not nearly as important as you might think it is".

Worry less, ride more.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

pasen
500cc
500cc
City: Nässjö

Post by pasen » Sat May 25, 2013 8:04 pm

ogden wrote:
pasen wrote:
It is if you interpret the answer as "on the road it's not nearly as important as you might think it is".

Worry less, ride more.
According to me, the tire pressure is always important. It is dangerous to drive with too low or too high tire pressure. +/-0.5 bar (6-7psi) can be the difference between going offroad or not depending on how you drive onroad.

But that's just what I think.

Tried today with around 2.3 bar (around 33 psi) in front (cold) and thought it worked well, gonna try a little bit up and down to see how it gets :)
Swedish KTM 990 SMT 2012 owner
Excuse my English if it's bad sometimes ;)

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Post by ogden » Sat May 25, 2013 8:24 pm

pasen wrote:According to me, the tire pressure is always important. It is dangerous to drive with too low or too high tire pressure. +/-0.5 bar (6-7psi) can be the difference between going offroad or not depending on how you drive onroad.
Depends what you're used to, I guess. I still think the SMT handles like a drunk pig, albeit one that's easy to chuck around, so the effect of a flat rear tyre is minimal compared to the way it feels in the first place. Conversely, a flat tyre on my gixer would be noticeable immediately.

That's the rear though. I won't argue that a flat front is more of an issue, though I can remember having one as much as 15psi below where it should be before noticing, and still didn't die in a fireball.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

IanM
50cc
50cc
City: Bedford
Year: 2013

Post by IanM » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi, I run Dragon Rosso Corsas at 33psi front and rear on my 2013 bike. Fantastic grip and feedback to knee down levels of lean in dry-ok in wet,
Ian

BradTaz
Supporter
Supporter
City: Strahan
Model: SMT

Post by BradTaz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:06 am

ogden wrote:
pasen wrote:According to me, the tire pressure is always important. It is dangerous to drive with too low or too high tire pressure. +/-0.5 bar (6-7psi) can be the difference between going offroad or not depending on how you drive onroad.
Depends what you're used to, I guess. I still think the SMT handles like a drunk pig, albeit one that's easy to chuck around, so the effect of a flat rear tyre is minimal compared to the way it feels in the first place. Conversely, a flat tyre on my gixer would be noticeable immediately.

That's the rear though. I won't argue that a flat front is more of an issue, though I can remember having one as much as 15psi below where it should be before noticing, and still didn't die in a fireball.
A drunk pig? Love it. Mine seems to have a second head stem and bearings that only work during fast flip flops. Having never ridden a drunk pig, I imagine that must be how they handle when asked to change direction quickly in the sow pen.
A boost in tyre pressures up to the usual 36f 38r has only sharpened it a little, allowing the tyres to maintain their profile during heavier steering inputs. Dropping the forks should address the issues and sober up the old porker. Or I'll have a few beers first and maybe we'll get on better...
Current Bikes: SM-T, Sprint 1050GT, VTR250, EXC250(400 piston)

Ktkeith

Post by Ktkeith » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:27 pm

Went for a little ride today mainly B roads and unclassified with some Dual. Bike handled really well on the P3s except for one little low speed head shake after catching a bump on an unclassified. Some edge of the tyre stuff on roundabouts no probs. checked tyre pressures when I got home 15 lb front and back :roll: bloody good tyre that PR3 :D

falcon4
675cc
675cc
City: FAYETTEVILLE

Post by falcon4 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:42 am

BradTaz wrote: A drunk pig? Love it. Mine seems to have a second head stem and bearings that only work during fast flip flops. Having never ridden a drunk pig, I imagine that must be how they handle when asked to change direction quickly in the sow pen.
A boost in tyre pressures up to the usual 36f 38r has only sharpened it a little, allowing the tyres to maintain their profile during heavier steering inputs. Dropping the forks should address the issues and sober up the old porker. Or I'll have a few beers first and maybe we'll get on better...
Maybe if he minded his tire pressure a bit better, his Pig might not seem as drunk?

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Post by Bootworks » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:11 am

I've been rolling on PR3's for the last, er, three sets. 34/34. I dropped it today to the (sticker, solo) recommended 31/31 felt great. Every time I get a new set mounted my tire guy over-inflates to 40psi, he goes on about how much longer the tires will last. The first time I took his word for it and rode a canyon home. Squirrelly as Hell!

As far as "handling like a drunken pig", I don't get that at all. I sold a '07 MTS 1100S when I discovered the SMT, just out-performed the Ducati in every way. It out-handles my '12 MTS 1200 Pikes Peak and the '06 Brutale, even though they've had serious suspension upgrades. I had David Moss setup this SMT and other than fork fluids I haven't done a thing to the WP's. My SMT has lost some weight, gained some grunt (thanks, Kev!) and on fast technical roads it keeps up with nearly anything out there...The twistier and goatier the road, the better!

It's been suggested I sell the SMT & the MTS to get a new Adventure, (a merging of the two) but I can't bear the thought of parting with the SMT.

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver
Colour: White

Post by adcolor » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:27 am

A method that has some merit: set your tire pressure so that the cold versus hot differential is less than 4 psi.
It will take a bit to get that figured out with all the stopping (not the easiest thing to do when all you need to do is go find a set of curves).
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.