500cc
500cc
City: Monterey, CA
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

P3 LED tail lights

Post by Doerbird02 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:02 am

Just wanted to share my install story for the p3 tail lights I just installed. The instructions are good and say it should take 45 minutes to install. It took me more like three hours. The lions share of that time was disassembling the entire rear of the bike to have good access to the tail light wiring. Once it was all exposed though, it went pretty quick. I mounted mine to top case base, but it is designed for attachment to the licence plate mounting bracket. Besides being my preference to mount them higher, my US licence plate mounting bracket was modified incorrectly from stock and mounting the lEDs off the licence plate mounting bolts would have resulted in a slightly asymmetrical layout. Long story about all that, but if you were to choose to mount the lights there instead, it might save a few minutes on the install

End result are some very bright and attention getting lights. I have them set to pulse five times fast and the five times a little slower before going full bright, upon activating the brakes. Highly recommended.
Rotweiler, Leo Vince cans, SAS and Canister removed, 2nd Flies Removed, Kev's #20 map, forks heavier springs and custom valving from KTM World, random orange anodized bits for looks

Bear990
675cc
675cc
City: Newcastle

Re: P3 LED tail lights

Post by Bear990 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:41 am

Any pics?

Doerbird02
500cc
500cc

Post by Doerbird02 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Sadly no. I thought of it while I was in the process, but thought never made it to action.

Only other issue that I forgot to mention was that the wiring instructions don't have KTM color codes. After doing a lot of searching on this site, I wasn't able to find anything definitive as not all posts agreed, including shop manual diagrams. Bottom line, brown in ground, the shade of brown is not consistent, but compared to the other options, it was not a problem. All wiring connects with easy to use quick connectors, so there is no special skills required.

The company that sells these lights is actually just a man that is an electrical engineer and BMW rider, who assembles the lights at his home. He is quick to reply to emails and shipping and packaging was prompt and professional. Highly recommended if you're interested. I have noticed that once I apply the brakes now, the usually very aggressive and close following drivers during my commute back off significantly. For what that's worth, just thought I'd share.
Rotweiler, Leo Vince cans, SAS and Canister removed, 2nd Flies Removed, Kev's #20 map, forks heavier springs and custom valving from KTM World, random orange anodized bits for looks

Doerbird02
500cc
500cc

Post by Doerbird02 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:33 am

Finally a picture...