Hard Cases

dancerdave
City: Larne
Year: 2010

Re: Hard Cases

Post by dancerdave » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:01 pm

Titbird wrote:DancerDave might have a problem with dents too, if I look at his avatar. :lol:
They're not dents they're lady-bumps :lol:
I wouldn't be letting her anywhere my luggage ;) :roll: :P
Dave
2012 F800GS Triple Black
2005 BMW 1150 GSA SE

SM-T NOW SOLD

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Post by Bootworks » Fri May 20, 2011 3:11 am

Well, having done my due diligence I went down to my local dealer today and plucked down my hard-earned dollars on a set of 'Adventure' cases, (Part # 600120251003000), 'Baggage carrier system' (Part # 6201202000) and a mysterious 'Adapter-Kit, Plastic' (Part # 60112025050).
Maybe someone here can shed some light on what this 'Adapter-Kit, Plastic' does...Just had to have it, whatever it is.
I inquired about 'Caribous', 'Peli-cant's' (which had a carrier conflict) and the SW Alums', which seem to get 'Lady-Bumps' in campsites when Sumos sit on them (no offense meant). This just seemed like the most likely solution to convert the bike from the overnight stock bags to something useful on a 3,100 mile upcoming tour of the U.S. NorthWest motorcycle wonderland.

Weight is a worry, I've lost 5Kg with a LeoVince but I'm about to strap, what, 13Kg (?) with the 'Adventure' cases. Easy wheely, price you pay for carrying an extra change of riding gear and a 52" LCD TV (Kidding!) Coming off my Ducati the look of these is rather...'Adventure, next stop Mozambique', but what the Hell, function rules, right?

Net cost...Ouch! US$1030. My dealer looked pretty happy! Well, doing my best to help the Economy, "money is like manure, doesn't do any good until you spread it around" and I hope, in the middle of this upcoming trip, I would have been happy to pay twice as much. That's how it usually works. Besides, it says "KTM" right on the cases, right? :lol:

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Post by Bootworks » Fri May 27, 2011 6:37 pm

A short report on the KTM adventure cases.

Received the cases and the rack yesterday. The 'adapter kit' was back ordered: It turns out this kit will be needed to attach the cases to the rack.

First impressions: BIG! Heavy. Will definitely change the handling character of the bike with this much weight/bulk bias shifted to the rear. The satin black finish looks as if it will resist scratches and scuffs well.

The cases appear indestructible: Double-wall construction allows for carrying up to 3 liters of water between the walls, when installing an optional tap/faucet which requires drilling a 7mm (not deeper than 15mm, for fear of perforating the inner wall.) The taps then would face forward on the vertical face of the cases.

The width of the installation will also limit lane sharing.

The racks installed easily and without trouble over the existing exhaust heat shields, retaining the OEM soft-bag hangers. This is a pleasant surprise since the six quick 1/4 turn fasteners holding the rack can come off in a hurry to allow use of the small stock side bags for weekend or sporting day trips. The racks are solid, well welded and finished.

Installation is quick and easy, with no conflict with any existing components: It simply requires removal of the passenger pegs and the top rack to mount the receiving metal mounts, a rear (through the license-plate) receiving metal mount adding strength and stiffness, then using the six 1/4 turn quick fasteners to mount the rack unto the receiving mounts. Easy.

The cases are top-loaders with a heavy-duty full length rubber hinge. The double latch locking hardware looks very solid and there's an additional locking latch to secure each case unto the frame/rack. Two keys are supplied. The inner plate and screws holding the frame latch is covered with a removable rubber gate, to insure it does not mar the cargo and to allow for latch replacement, if ever needed. There's also a full (replaceable) rubber gasket inbedded in each lid groove, to insure waterproof closure.

The exterior mounting face of the bags are marked "Hepco & Becker" "Gobi" and 610.083 L/R

All together what these 'Adventure' cases lack in subtlety they make up in ruggedness: I'd be afraid to hit them with a sledge hammer...For fear of damaging the hammer! One of the best features is the quick disconnect of the racks to allow use of the stock (lightweight) sidebags, a feature that will see frequent use.

katum_smt
675cc
675cc
City: Jo'burg

Post by katum_smt » Tue May 31, 2011 10:35 am

So lets see em,,,,

I used to ride normal until I got "oranged" ~ KTM SMT

Currently in the garage
2013 KTM 1190 Adv
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 920
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200
2010 KTM 990 SMT
1981 Kawasaki Z1000 ELR
1980 Honda CB900F

supertoon
125cc
125cc
City: Bromont

Post by supertoon » Tue May 31, 2011 1:57 pm

I have installed the quick release Motech Side racks and am in the process of hard mounting two storm iM2600 hard cases. As soon as I am done I will attache some pics. I had these
on my Strom and liked them alot. They are virtually indestructible and cheap. The matte gray goes nicely with the SMT as well.

deanodog
125cc
125cc
City: Brighton
Colour: Silver

Post by deanodog » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:02 pm

Finding reasonably priced hard cases can be difficult but I found this site. It appears (after 20 minutes or so researching) a full set of hard cases costs about €830 / £730. I will email them and see what they are all about.

http://holan.pl/en/catalog/24/181/407/0/KTM_990_SM_SMT

Has anyone else dealt with them?

dancerdave
City: Larne

Post by dancerdave » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Yeah, I've heard of them. Thats great news - I only need the frame at £150 as I already have the Zega panniers for the GSA :D
Attachments
DSC00065.JPG
Dave
2012 F800GS Triple Black
2005 BMW 1150 GSA SE

SM-T NOW SOLD

deanodog
125cc
125cc

Post by deanodog » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Since my last post. I found the UK distributor. A guy called Roger Munsey also fabricates his own aluminium hard cases and appears he can supply the frames as well. Visit www.ardcases.co.uk or email him info@ardcases.co.uk.

Admittedly his website isn't great but there again he is not a web desginer - he makes hard cases and supplies Nomada cases too. I have emailed him and we'll see what happens. Apparently you can choose your own colours? Orange lid and black box and buy a couple of KTM decals. Should look like KTM made their own!

redcap
50cc
50cc
City: ramsey

Post by redcap » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi all
I am the guy making the ARDcases and thought i would say hello ! The webpage is a pre-production mock up ,i am not sure how it got out there .If anyone has any questions please feel free i won't bite .info@ardcases.co.uk
Kind regards Roger

deanodog
125cc
125cc

Post by deanodog » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi Roger, Great to see you here. I emailed you to see if we can see piccies. Can you upload to here too? Hopefully I will see you on Monday / Tuesday next week. Best regards Dean.

steve-a
125cc
125cc
City: London

Post by steve-a » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:50 pm

deanodog wrote:Hi Roger, Great to see you here. I emailed you to see if we can see piccies. Can you upload to here too? Hopefully I will see you on Monday / Tuesday next week. Best regards Dean.
Do I take it from this that you are going to meet Roger next week so he can measure the SMT for luggage?

deanodog
125cc
125cc

Post by deanodog » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 am

Since the last post my timings are not convenient so will try and opt for a nice Saturday morning ride out to see him in a couple of weeks. Roger already has frames for the SMT and can create panniers to any measurement you give him. If you want bespoke panniers then, according to all the great reviews, this is the man to see.

steve-a
125cc
125cc
City: London

Post by steve-a » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:05 am

OK, he has asked me to go up on Saturday so he can measure the SMT up for a Top box (Not really interested in the luggage at the moment), I did not want to use the day up if you were already going to do the same a day or so later, will drop him an email.

Cheers

deanodog
125cc
125cc

Post by deanodog » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Steve-a, Yeah, Roger said the same to me but only because he said he hasn't fitted a top box for SMTs and doesn't know where to position the fixings. He does do top boxes but just needs to measure the back plate. As there are more holes than a colander on the back plate he will have plenty to choose from for the best fit :lol: . I am thinking to have just the panniers but pop on a roll bag if I need to take more luggage. There is a great roll bag available from www.GetGeared.co.uk. Costs about £25! Amazing price but it will need support - ie I duck taped wooden batons to the base of the bag to stop it overhanging the sides. :roll:

phxrider
250cc
250cc
City: Gilbert
Model: SMT

Post by phxrider » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:04 pm

FYI - all Hepco & Becker side cases use the same mount - so if you were into a more conventional case (personally I probably would have kept my Adventure and not gotten the SM-T if I was going to be doing the kind of riding that requires a super-tough case like the Gobi), you can get something like the Journeys, which are lighter and hold more than the Gobis. These will mount right up to the Gobi adapter plate KTM sells. http://www.hepco-becker.de/_eng/pdf/Jou ... fo%20E.pdf ( http://www.hepco-becker.de/_eng/frameset.php for the whole lineup.)
-Rob
--
2010 990 SMT, 2008 690 SMR

redcap
50cc
50cc
City: ramsey

Post by redcap » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:27 am

Hi All
I now have a set of pannier frames for the smt ! Anyone thinking of getting some hard luggage who would like to pop over for a measure up/etc could be in for a nice discount or extras thrown in .Who would like to be the first to have ARDcases on their SMT ?
Kind regards Roger

hornet
250cc
250cc
City: SA

Post by hornet » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:57 am

Has anyone looked at the Nomada Pro cases from Holan?

http://holan.pl/en/catalog/245/395/0/NOMADA_cases

I believe these including the mounting frames are very reasonably priced

deanodog
125cc
125cc

Post by deanodog » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:11 pm

I saw Roger at Ardcases a couple of weeks ago who personally makes bespoke Panniers for most bikes - incuding SMTs... :P
Roger is very very helpful and prides his own workmanship. SMTs would be suitable for two 8" wide pannier sets. I have chosen my size, colours and frames ordered.
The panniers are so good that my brother (who also has a 2010 SMT) has ordered some too.
We will head up to see him this Saturday to fit them. I will try and upload piccies next week.
Where else can you find bespoke handmade durable panniers and choose your own colours? One thing for sure, you will be very surprised at the price. :D
Visit: http://www.ardcases.co.uk.

deanodog
125cc
125cc

Post by deanodog » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:16 pm

My brother and I have our panniers. We picked them up today and what can we say..... WOW, AMAZING, SPOT ON. :D :D :D :D :D I can't say enough about Roger. I am very grateful that he has pursued his interest to make bespoke panniers -- and for SMTs. My brother's new panniers (Orange and Black) are just brilliant and he is chuffed to bits. My chosen silver for the boxes is an exact colour match. Have a look for yourself. Bespoke made panniers, you choose the size and colours for under £400? Speak to Roger: info@ardcases.co.uk and tell him you heard about him here.
Attachments
IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG

Nico_de_Nirvi
125cc
125cc
City: Muurame
Year: 2011
Colour: Black

Post by Nico_de_Nirvi » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:45 am

Nice handy work from Roger. What size those are?
My Mods:
Leovince cans and Y-pipe/Akrapovic fuel map/EPC turned off/O2 sensors turned off/KTM Frame protectors/KTM Skid plate/KTM Front- and rear axle pads/KTM Crash bars/KTM Super Enduro Radiator Guard/Pyramid Plastic Fenda Extenda/Garmin Zümo 660