Faded SMT Soft Pannier Side Bags

motoyoyo
125cc
125cc
City: Malibu
Year: 2018

Faded SMT Soft Pannier Side Bags

Post by motoyoyo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:52 pm

It must be common knowledge by now that the original soft side panniers become faded by the sun very quickly. The most common solution seems to be to replace them with new original panniers or something else. If KTM eventually came out with a UV stabilized dye, then an oem replacement would be fine. Otherwise, just a week in the sun would probably return them to a faded condition.

I have searched extensively to see if anyone has attempted to dye faded bags, but have found nothing on the topic. I recently bought a used SMT, and unfortunately, the guy used only one bag all the time. So, I have one new looking bag and one heavily faded bag. I am going to attempt either dying or trying a specialized fabric paint to see if I can end up with something halfway decent. Has anyone here tried anything like this, or heard of anyone doing this before?
2010 990SMT, 2008 990SDR, 2007 S2R1000, BMW R1100S

slowdown
125cc
125cc
City: PORTLAND
Year: 2014
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Faded SMT Soft Pannier Side Bags

Post by slowdown » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Are they different than the PP bags for other bikes? Check this thread, the guy uses Rit Dye with pretty decent results:

http://ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t= ... dye#p60647

I haven't actually done it, but probably will soon.

motoyoyo
125cc
125cc
City: Malibu
Year: 2018

Re: Faded SMT Soft Pannier Side Bags

Post by motoyoyo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks for the response. I guess I missed that one. I searched for fade and faded but not fading. Oh well, I thought about using the Rit dye method but the synthetic fabric dye method called for heating the mixture and dipping the fabric. I just wasn't sure about how it would work brushing it on, without seeing if anyone had done it before. Looks like it would have worked pretty good.

I decided to try the Duplicolor Fabric Flat Black paint method instead. It worked pretty well and definitely got rid of that horrible purple faded look. On the first bag I went too heavy, expecting to cover some boot drag marks. I just went with three light coats on the second bag and it turned out nice. Back to Black again is all I was hoping for.
Before

After
2010 990SMT, 2008 990SDR, 2007 S2R1000, BMW R1100S