Conflicting methods using Tune ECU

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
roblund6
250cc
250cc
City: Worcester
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Conflicting methods using Tune ECU

Post by roblund6 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Sorry to be a pain. I've been searching, but this has always been one of my weak points, I get distracted too easily, and get bombarded by too many search results.

One method I've been reading, says to load the EP map first, when done, ignition off 10 seconds, back on, slowly rotate throttle fully open, then slowly fully close, ignition off 10 seconds, back on, load FI map, then 15 minute idle with Tune ECU still active. Complete.

1. Someone please remind me where to download the maps. Preferably listing both EP and FI maps.

2. Kevs map #20 is recommended, but cannot see separate EP and FI maps. Does this map #20 do both? And if so, what's the procedure.

3. Does anyone know of any maps more precisely configured for my set up?
IMG_0305.JPG
Secondary flies blanked off with aluminium bolts sealed with Devcon
IMG_0298.JPG
Crankcase breather filter
My beauty; Full Akra titanium system including downpipes/manifolds, baffles left in, (Tried with baffles out, too loud, with no noticeable power increase, so refitted) SAS totaly removed, secondary flies totally removed, and disconnected. O2 elimninators left in, - for now, will be removing these at a later date. Original airbox completely removed, Rottweiller filter system fitted, with breather filter for crankcase breather mounter inside airbox.

Amazingly, with all the above mods done, she only started up, and felt/sounded pretty good without using Tune ECU to disable anything!! Even managed to rev her up a little, but turned off pretty soon before any damage occurred.

I've owned this bike from new, spent over £5k on her and countless hours and hours, embarrassingly only 4,900 miles on her! I will never sell the best all-rounder I've ever ridden, may buy another bike at some point, but my 'Katy' is here to stay, so I do NOT want to damage her at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: Conflicting methods using Tune ECU

Post by limeyduffa » Tue May 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Hi Mate. I've never heard of loading two separate maps. AFAIK, the map files configure the entire ECU system. Have I missed a step ?

Map #20 is for the DNA MK3 air filter (P/N AK­KT9MK3­S3). Are you able to find a map for your air filter ?

Also, is the oil filter too close to the intakes ?. Did you put it there ?. Will that effect air flow ?

Yes, SMT is an insane bike. Not too big, not too small. I did my mods two years ago. The bike pops it rolling it on in 1st and 2nd and 3rd on a good day :). F*king mental ! :)

roblund6
250cc
250cc

Post by roblund6 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Thank you for your response.
I was advised by Trevor Burgess who'd workd as a grade/level 5 technician at BMW for 35 years, he suggested the air flow disprution would be so low, it would not be noticed. Also, he stated that having the crankcase breathing a minor, filtered amount of oil into the top end of the engine would be beneficial.

Biggest problem I have is this. Originally from new, standard exhaust, Akrapovic slip ons. 12 months later, had the orignal manifolds/downpipes replaced for Akrapovic Titanium ones. £3k, because the original silencers are a smaller bore than the ones for the whole system, so ended up buying two pairs of Akrapovic silencers, (sold first pair) , but, due to the bigger bore throughout the exhaust system right through from ports on the heads, right through to the end of the silencers. Difference? Massive. Within the first 2 -3 seconds of opening her up in third gear, started lifting immediately. Absolute minimum, 5bhp, and 5 foot pounds of torque, if it was 10 - 15 bhp and torque, I would not be surprised at all.

So, the much bigger, noticeable air flow through the engine, I'm gravely concerned about the AFR, being a bigger air flow, does that mean too lean? Or would the ECU 'self calibrate' en-route to finely tune/adjust?
Last edited by roblund6 on Tue May 22, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roblund6
250cc
250cc

Post by roblund6 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Sorry, forgot to add this, it's the current map I read which took around 20mins, looks relatively smooth, or am I showing my inadequate understanding of using and reading Tune ECU?? :shock:
Attachments
KatyB4jpeg.jpg
Current map

roblund6
250cc
250cc

Post by roblund6 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:38 am

PLEASE, someone help me? Does anyone have a map for the full Akrapovic Titanium system???