Tune up parts

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
Zombie Master
Supporter
Supporter
City: Victoria
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Tune up parts

Post by Zombie Master » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:02 am

2013 990 SMT

So I'm about to do a tune up, including new plugs, air filter, and valve check. I have the parts mentioned, a shim kit, and the bolt needed to hold the crank. I've never done this before so I'm wondering what other parts should be changed out in terms of O rings and gaskets or? :geek:

BTW I have the bolt that should fit the crank but I haven't modified it to fit. I tried to buy the actual tool, but my dealer's parts department doesn't have it in their parts book. What do I need to modify the bolt to make it the right tool? :|

Thanx! :)

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex

Tune up parts

Post by jhalfhide » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 am

Gaskets are fine to be reused so long as you don’t damage them. It’s not too bad a job, I did mine over the Christmas break. The most difficult part was manoeuvring the rad out the way as I didn’t want to take it off.

On my 13, I didn’t need the thin walled socket others mention. A standard socket went down fine as the plug’s socket size is smaller on those plugs. Check your manual first as I just read the online guide and ordered the socket.

A strong magnet is the best tool for removing the buckets/shims. I put a small magnet inside the finger of some rubber gloves (so as not to damage the buckets).

I didn’t change anything else, just shims and an oil change.

Regarding the locking tool, it’s just tapered at one end. I’ll send a pic later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Zombie Master
Supporter
Supporter
City: Victoria

Re: Tune up parts

Post by Zombie Master » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:45 am

jhalfhide wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 am
Gaskets are fine to be reused so long as you don’t damage them. It’s not too bad a job, I did mine over the Christmas break. The most difficult part was manoeuvring the rad out the way as I didn’t want to take it off.

On my 13, I didn’t need the thin walled socket others mention. A standard socket went down fine as the plug’s socket size is smaller on those plugs. Check your manual first as I just read the online guide and ordered the socket.

A strong magnet is the best tool for removing the buckets/shims. I put a small magnet inside the finger of some rubber gloves (so as not to damage the buckets).

I didn’t change anything else, just shims and an oil change.

Regarding the locking tool, it’s just tapered at one end. I’ll send a pic later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great advice Thanx! I have always found that there is a spark plug tool in the tool kit. Wouldn't that be the case with the SMT?