New chain/rear sprocket pitch query.....

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
terrydel
675cc
675cc
City: Dublin
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

New chain/rear sprocket pitch query.....

Post by terrydel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:34 am

Hi,
Ive got part number 611100510104 (41 tooth rear sprocket) but not sure of the pitch of this, which I need to order a new chain to go with it. Anyone know the answer to this? 520 or 525?
Also, should I go 16 or 17 tooth on the front? And can someone recommend me a front sprocket and chain to match up to the 41T rear sprocket I already have?
Cheers!

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Re: New chain/rear sprocket pitch query.....

Post by Magic Wand » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:16 pm

I have SMT 2010 and the chain is 525.

Can´t find that number on the Internet... did you type correct number?

Still I´m using original 17 teeth sprocket in front. But I also have 3 different rear sprockets, 38, 41 and 44 teeth to change with when I "need" to :-)

Many SMT drivers confirm that 16 teeth front sprocket makes the bike more handable in lower speeds (higher revs at a specific speed), not that snatchy throttle and also better acceleration. Slower high end speed though.

I use EK chain and JT front sprocket. No problem so far. (I have 3 front sprockets, 3 chains and 3 rear sprockets.) The chains has the clip lock, it is NOT "punched". It makes it " a bit" easier when I´m going to change sprockets ;-)

/M
-

Nordic09
250cc
250cc
City: Helsinki
Year: 2011

Post by Nordic09 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:12 pm

-1 up front is already quite a big change, if you drive a lot in highway speeds (yes, it changes more 6th gear, than first gears). I would prefer to increase 1 or 2 tooth at rear, but it seems very difficult to find those sprockets. Anyway with air intake mods and mapping, the need to change ratio is small.

Magic, which chains you bought, with speedy clip lock? For the DIY service, sounds like a feasible option.
KTM SMT 2010 (Rottweiler and map in, secondaries, SAS and O2 off)
ex Triumph Street Triple R 2013 (too little torque)
ex Triumph Street Triple R 2011 (stolen)
ex Honda CR125 1989
ex Suzuki RG125 1985
ex Yamaha YZ80 1987

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010

Post by Magic Wand » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi "Nordic09"

I agree with you about increase the number of teeth at the rear sprocket, it is better for the life span of the entire drive line.
(I also have to say that a Smaller rear sprocket (like 38 teeth) decreases the rattle sound from the chain hitting the swing arm.)

I bought EK (Enuma chain):
Drive line.jpg
The clips are D.I.D. I think...
NOTE! Due to that the pins in the chain lock (with clips) are longer than standard (because there must be a groove to fit the clip in) - the pin will touch the chain slider on top of the swinging arm!
I "solved" the problem by cutting 1-2 mm of, at the left inside of the chain slider rubber.)

I found 38 teeth sprocket at eBay. It is a Sunsstar. (And I also found original 38 t that I also bought.)
Sunsstar 38 t.jpg
Chain slider.jpg
Tripple rear sprockets.jpg
I have 2 rear wheels with different tires and 3 sprocket hubs.
-

You can try at Addemoto in Lund, Sweden - they have a lot of sprockets, chains and what so ever in this section of drive lines.

http://www.addemoto.se/

For information:
info@addemoto.se

To order:
order@addemoto.se

/M

terrydel
675cc
675cc
City: Dublin
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by terrydel » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:12 am

Thanks for the replies lads, sorry for delay in getting back to them.
I'll go with a 525 pitch chain, and I think I'll stick with standard 17 tooth at the front for now.
Cheers.