990 SMT: Water pump gasket leak fix using locally supplied o-ring

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

990 SMT: Water pump gasket leak fix using locally supplied o-ring

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:08 am

This post is for Australian/NZ SMT owners that have difficulty getting OEM parts from local KTM dealers.

My water pump gasket (P/N 60035053000) started to fail a month ago at 33500km (a 5 year old bike). A coolant leak was the result. I wasn't able to get the part from any KTM dealers without a back order through KTM Australia - a 1 to 6 month wait.

After experimentation, I discovered that a 115mm x 1.4mm Nitrile o-ring will do the job. CBC Bearings (www.conbear.com.au) supply OR115x2.5N70 for $10inc. The cross-section diameter of this part (unused) is 2.4mm and not 2.5mm as coded in the part number. This part is available over the counter without ordering (in my case, this was the Holdern Hill store in South Australia). If you go to another supplier, ensure that the SC diameter is 2.4mm and not 2.5mm. 2.5mm is too thick and the cover will not sit flat against the pump.

CBC recommended that if the Nitrile o-ring (max temp 120C) is failing due to heat (a likely case since the SMT cooling system is under engineered in my opinion and works very hard), then they recommend a Viton o-ring (max temp 220C), but they would need to order this. The cost of these are $12inc each and can get them over night.

“The burn in”: So far so good !. I fitted part three weeks ago and the bike has had 6 rides at 400km distance. I've just finished a 5 hour 250km spirited ride, it hasn't failed yet. So, I'm very happy about the bike not being laid up during some of the best winter riding weather of the year.

At Milang, SA today: