Draw through circuits

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
ryanclark111
125cc
125cc
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:04 am
Country: Australia
City: Sydney
Year: 2010
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Draw through circuits

Postby ryanclark111 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:37 am

Hoping to gain a bit of information from the group. I think I might have an electrical issue with my bike, it is often difficult to start on the cold mornings. I think the battery is draining while off. I have tested the charging, maintains about 14.4v across the rev range, so I think it is charging fine.

Bike is 2010 SMT, no additional electrical bits and pieces.

I have tested the bike for current draw. It is pulling about 45mA total when off, which sounds high to me but I can't find anything to compare with. This is made up of 20mA on the ACC1/Clock circuit and 25mA on the Ignition and fuel pump (every other circuit is 0). Does anyone know/have values for what the draw should be on these circuits?

The other issue is that my commute is quite short and it may not charge enough for the big draw from starting on cold mornings. But there isn't a whole lot I can do about that. I don't have a garage so there is no option to attach to a trickle charger overnight without taking the battery out.

Nickhk
500cc
500cc
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:49 pm
Country: Hong Kong
City: Hong Kong
Year: 2009

Re: Draw through circuits

Postby Nickhk » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:59 am

How old is the battery - these things don't like 'old ones' ...

oldf4rt
250cc
250cc
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:17 pm
Country: England
City: Skipton
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Re: Draw through circuits

Postby oldf4rt » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:26 pm

ryanclark111 wrote:Hoping to gain a bit of information from the group. I think I might have an electrical issue with my bike, it is often difficult to start on the cold mornings. I think the battery is draining while off. I have tested the charging, maintains about 14.4v across the rev range, so I think it is charging fine.

Bike is 2010 SMT, no additional electrical bits and pieces.

I have tested the bike for current draw. It is pulling about 45mA total when off, which sounds high to me but I can't find anything to compare with. This is made up of 20mA on the ACC1/Clock circuit and 25mA on the Ignition and fuel pump (every other circuit is 0). Does anyone know/have values for what the draw should be on these circuits?

The other issue is that my commute is quite short and it may not charge enough for the big draw from starting on cold mornings. But there isn't a whole lot I can do about that. I don't have a garage so there is no option to attach to a trickle charger overnight without taking the battery out.





Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oldf4rt
250cc
250cc
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:17 pm
Country: England
City: Skipton
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Re: Draw through circuits

Postby oldf4rt » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:29 pm

I have a 2011 SMT. If I leave it a couple of weeks it won't start. If I keep the battery topped up it's fine. These bikes need maximum charge to start. With regular use it's OK.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Random00
125cc
125cc
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:11 pm
Country: United States
City: Los Angeles
Year: 2013
Model: SMT

Re: Draw through circuits

Postby Random00 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:01 pm

Track down your draw with the fuses. Pull one fuse at a time until you find your draw current go down.

ryanclark111
125cc
125cc
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:04 am
Country: Australia
City: Sydney
Year: 2010
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Re: Draw through circuits

Postby ryanclark111 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:56 pm

Nickhk wrote:How old is the battery - these things don't like 'old ones' ...


Not even a year old yet

ryanclark111
125cc
125cc
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:04 am
Country: Australia
City: Sydney
Year: 2010
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Re: Draw through circuits

Postby ryanclark111 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:57 pm

oldf4rt wrote:I have a 2011 SMT. If I leave it a couple of weeks it won't start. If I keep the battery topped up it's fine. These bikes need maximum charge to start. With regular use it's OK.


I use it as a daily commute, albeit a short one (10-15 min each way). And the charging circuit seems to check out ok

ryanclark111
125cc
125cc
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:04 am
Country: Australia
City: Sydney
Year: 2010
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Re: Draw through circuits

Postby ryanclark111 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Random00 wrote:Track down your draw with the fuses. Pull one fuse at a time until you find your draw current go down.


I did, see the paragraph in the OP

"This is made up of 20mA on the ACC1/Clock circuit and 25mA on the Ignition and fuel pump (every other circuit is 0). Does anyone know/have values for what the draw should be on these circuits?"

I am just not sure if that is an OK draw or excessive. My guess is that it is excessive on at least one (ignition and fuel pump) if not both.

Newjerseyduke
500cc
500cc
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:31 pm
Country: Usa
City: Riverdale , NJ
Year: 2015

Re: Draw through circuits

Postby Newjerseyduke » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:27 pm

Next time I'm in the garage I'll check my shop manual.

Nickhk
500cc
500cc
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:49 pm
Country: Hong Kong
City: Hong Kong
Year: 2009

Re: Draw through circuits

Postby Nickhk » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 am

These bikes are pretty fickle when it comes to batteries and I recently had similar issues with a [then] 16 month old battery. All the usual checking and fiddling, followed by giving up and 'jump starting' from one of those new fangled power bank things. IN the end I gave up and replaced the battery - hey presto, problem sorted.

Bike had regular periods of lying up (I was getting lazy with coming to work .. ) and short commutes only. Now I use more regularly and take the long way to work, which the bike seems to like.

Worth considering. Good luck.

Nick


Return to “Technical discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests