SMT rear hugger.

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

SMT rear hugger.

Post by Gimlet » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Anyone know if a rear hugger for a 990 Superduke will fit the SMT?

pk1
675cc
675cc
City: perth
Year: 2012

Re: SMT rear hugger.

Post by pk1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:33 pm

I have a red fox hugger for the superduke on my smt no problems. for some reason it was £20 cheaper than the one listed for the smt? I could not see the difference so i ordered the superduke model and it fits fine.
hope this helps
cheers
pk

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:20 pm

Cheers. That's what I wanted to know.
How do you find the quality of the Red Fox?

pk1
675cc
675cc

Post by pk1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:36 pm

1st one lasted 2 yrs now on my 2nd one they start to crack on the left hand side after a while it creeps up and gets bigger until it needs to be removed :oops:
However I believe others do the same :?: I think the red fox looks the best and at the cost I can put up with the 2 yr lifespan.
Cheers
Paul

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:07 am

I've got a Skidmarx fibreglass at the moment. Its disintegrated around the screw hole where it's fixed into the top of the swinging arm fork on the L/H (chain) side.
Does yours start to break up around screw holes? I could reinforce that area with a stainless steel or aluminium bracket or I could get a carbon hugger. I've got or carbon one on my Ducati that's done about 6000 miles and, touch wood, its never cracked, crazed or given any trouble. Wasn't cheap though..

pk1
675cc
675cc

Post by pk1 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:29 am

No its fine at the screw holes although i did cut up an old inner tube and made some rubber washers to go between the hugger and swingarm.
Its were the cut out in the design stops must be a stress point whith the vibrations it tends to crack
Ive currently got a hairline crack not easily seen about 1cm long been like that for months now.
Hopefully it wont get any bigger.
cheers
pk

Elvis
250cc
250cc
City: Dresden

Post by Elvis » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:10 pm

I have the skidmarx as well, so far it holds very well (half a year and about 5000 km) the main issue was the fitment, it just didn't fit well out of the box and needed some spacers here and there.
I can only guess that without the spacers i put the pressure of the screws would have crack it.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Model: SMT

Post by Magic Wand » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:44 pm

I ordered a RedFox hugger for my SMT 2010.

There are no mounting instructions included... There are some printed photo´s on paper included, just to show which mounting screws has to be put where in the hugger/in the swinging arm.

But... it fit´s like a square in a triangel! Not at all that is... I became so very much disapointed.

Spacers is not enough to mount the hugger on my bike, also the holes in the hugger are like drilled in wrong position.

Yes, I have sent an e-mail to RedFox - but so far no answer... :(

/M
-

UPDATE
I got an answer from Red Fox and I had to take some photos of the hugger when "mis-fitted" and sent to them.
Let´s see what happens. I believe they sent me wrong hugger...
-

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Thu May 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Update (again)

The mounting screws were placed in the holes (during shipping) of the hugger and hold in place by nuts.
No mounting instruction included, but just 5 images (paper copies of photos) showing the brackets mounted on the swing arm.
When I tried to mount the hugger following the images I found that something was wrong.

The left side rear bracket isn´t the same as seen at one of the images.
The image shows wrong bracket!
More to come, the fit is like.... a pain in the ars...
IMG_1844.jpg
(Forget about the nut under the bracket - it should NOT be there)
-

The left side front bracket can´t be mounted into the bush for the chainguard guide. The bracket is to big. Doesn´t matter if one puts the rubber thing under the bracket, it´s still a strange way to mount the bracket and the screw can´t be tightened in a correct way.
Also, the drilled hole in the hugger is placed in the ”bend”, and it will make stress to the material when tighten the screw.
-

Right side front bracket: there is no instruction/image that shows how to mount it into the hugger.
More over, the front lowest part of the hugger will scratch the swing arm.
IMG_1841.jpg
-

The right side rear bracket mounting is very strange (see attached photo).
The hugger should be standing on the swing arm, but it´s not possible without a distance under the bracket, as you can see in the photo.
DSC07334.JPG
This photo is from the seller! Note: the nut should NOT be mounted.
-

The brake hose is normaly placed on top of the swing arm, but with hugger mounted the hose will be placed outside the hugger and be bent in a strange (and ugly) way!
IMG_1845.jpg
-

The original small hole in the swing arm right side rear (just in front of the mounting hole for the bracket) is open. Water will come into the swing arm and make the chain adjuster screw rusty, inside the swing arm.
-

The seller told me that the hugger should be mounted with tension/stress in the material. I can´t believe it and I´m quite sure that the hugger will crack, sooner or later.

The seller also told me that the hugger´s manufactured before 2015 had some problems and could crack on left side bracket point. But from 2015 and later they are updated to perform better (should not crack).

/Magic
-

Bermit
125cc
125cc
City: paris
Year: 2011

Post by Bermit » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:25 am

Hello !

I don't know what happened to you since your last post, but here's my feedback, as I just bought the Red-fox hugger, ans installed it yesterday...

- first, the overall quality looks good... until you try to place it on the bike => same issues as the one you mentioned regarding the adjustment
- on the right side, i used a rubber spacer (5 mm) to raise the bracket and have the hugger correctly fitted to the swing arm. I also filled the remaining hole with some black silicone.
- at the middle i forced the plastic (it is quite flexible) to insert the lowest part of the hugger between the two arms. but then, the hole is still not perfectly matching his nut (I noticed the washer provider for this screw is a large one)
- on the left side, the major issue I had was the nut of the bracket that was too close to the chain. The chain was touching this part while driving, so I had to make it thinner (50% approx) to be sure the chain won't touch. No issue with teh screw.

I will drill small holes at the bottom of the arms to remove water (pretty sure there is water inside)

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:50 am

Hi "Bermit"!

Yes, you are next one in line that had to "work a lot" to make the hugger come in "right" place!
I guess you bought it from UK, and I strongly recommend you to contact the seller (Niel?) and tell him exactly what issues you had to mount it!

I also had to make a new angle ot the bracket close to the drive chain, otherwise the chain touched the bracket. I also shortened the screw.

Just like you did I put a thick plastic washer under the rear right side bracket to raise it.

Then I had to make the big hole (front right side) even bigger to make it fit.
My hugger has now cracked (of course, as I predicted even before I started to mount it!)... The cracked part is at the front right side.
I´m SO disappointed of this sh.. thing.

/M
-

Bermit
125cc
125cc
City: paris
Year: 2011

Post by Bermit » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:57 am

I noticed the difference on the left side, there's a metal part to reinforce the hugger at this fitting point...

You're right, I will have to contact the seller, in case i have future issues...

to be continued...

Guillaume

edit: Will certainly work it out again this weekend to improve the fitting... I think of cutting a little of the lower part (in between the arms), enlarge the hole, use a rubber washer at this point to give more flexibilty to the fixation point...

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:58 pm

Bermit

Contact the seller imediatelly, to let them know that they are selling a hugger that creates a problem for the buyer! It´s insane.

Yes, do it the best you can!
I strongly recommend you to change the angle of the front right side bracket, to make it tilt backwards a bit (not to stay at 90° angle). I believe that the 90° angle is one of the reasons the hugger on my bike cracked. Among poore fixing points at the other 3 brackets...
-

These are the "adjustments" I had to do on my own, to make the hugger fit "fair enough".

Rear left side:
Make new angle for the bracket (tilts outward) and shorten the screw by 2 mm and added a flat washer at the outside of the hugger. All to prevent the drive chain to hit the brackets inside.

Front left side:
I had to make the hole wider (to the front about 2 mm) to make the screw fit fair enough. I also put a rubber washer between the washer and hugger.
Also, I had to put a "distance socket" under the bracket to make it stay horisontal in the bucket.

Front right side:
Had to make the hole wider (about 6-7 mm) to make the bracket to fit fair enough.

Rear right side:
Mount a plastic flat washer (a hight of aprox 4 mm) under the bracket to raise the hugger to make the fit of the screw possible.

All these adjustment made the hugger not to be centered campared to the tire, and it looks quite "odd". I would say it looks crazy!

/M

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:30 pm

I have to make an update on this one...

Rear left side:
I grinded off the inside of the threaded part of the brackets about 2 mm, and also made the screw hole wider, to make the bracket come more far from the drive chain. I also put a M5 nut (drilled out the threads first) under the bracket, to let is stand on the swinging arm and then tightened the screw (NOT too tight though!).

Front right side:
Use a thin o-ring between the bracket and the hugger.

Rear right side:
A put 3 big flat washers between the thick rubber part of the hugger and the bracket.

/M

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:17 pm

I ended up buying another Skidmarx because I couldn't find anything else. The cracking problem around the L/H screw on the chain guide is simply down to the fact that the hugger doesn't sit down snug and needs packing out to prevent cracking. A rubber tap washer sandwiched between stainless flat washers does the trick.
Fibreglass huggers are fine as long as they fit perfectly and the screws are not exerting undue pressure in one place.