Cheap air box that works

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Cheap air box that works

Post by jhalfhide » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Elvis wrote:Just installed the ITG JC30-80 with George plate and the foam o-ring.
It is easy enough work but i find the foam o-ring too thick making the stack install a bit difficult and in principle foam can fall a part when it is in a dry and hot environment.
does anyone knows were can i get the o-rings that rottweiler use?
1.jpg
IMG_20170304_184630922.jpg
No idea but I agree that I had to basically put all my weight on the RC8 stack, to get it to click on. Then I worked out that I'd done something wrong and undid them again and after the 5 minutes of being on there, they were much easier second time. The sponge must have compressed enough. No qualms in keeping the sponge ones for me and if I ever found them falling apart, I'd cut the orange ones from the oem filter (I've kept all old parts) and use them whilst I source alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Rottweiler
125cc
125cc
City: Costa Mesa
Year: 2008

Post by Rottweiler » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:05 am

Elvis wrote: does anyone knows were can i get the o-rings that rottweiler use?
We do!

Elvis
250cc
250cc
City: Dresden
Year: 2012

Post by Elvis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:08 am

Yes i know :) but do you sell them separately from the kit?

Rottweiler
125cc
125cc

Post by Rottweiler » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:42 pm

Elvis wrote:Yes i know :) but do you sell them separately from the kit?
Only to people who have actually purchased our kit and not a knock off unfortunately. There are a few camps around the world that have the idea that if they knock off our base plate and just sell an ITG filter they can advertise that it is 'the same as Rottweiler' and it is far from it. This has been debated ad nauseum a hundred times on 20 forums but it is nevertheless the case. For this reason we can't support the people who go for the knock offs.

Elvis
250cc
250cc

Post by Elvis » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:17 am

I bought a universal ITG filter from authorized ITG dealer in the UK they also sell ITG blank plate were you need to cut the holes by yourself, i preferred to have some one cut it for me, this is hardly a knock off!
You have a good product, the plastic plate is in my opinion better than the aluminum and the rubber o-ring as well but you do not have the rights for the filter and plate, it was available on the market before your product.

Winterwolf
250cc
250cc
City: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Post by Winterwolf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:54 am

Why is a company hanging around a thread dedicated to a product that's got nothing to do with them?

Be interesting to see if an independent has done a back yo back comparison to see if there's any real difference that's proved the additional cost was worth it though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc

Post by jhalfhide » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:22 am

Elvis wrote:I bought a universal ITG filter from authorized ITG dealer in the UK they also sell ITG blank plate were you need to cut the holes by yourself, i preferred to have some one cut it for me, this is hardly a knock off!
You have a good product, the plastic plate is in my opinion better than the aluminum and the rubber o-ring as well but you do not have the rights for the filter and plate, it was available on the market before your product.
In complete agreement here. I have the ITG filter, and it seems to me getting your logo put on someone else's filter doesn't make the original one a "knock off".

Elvis
250cc
250cc

Post by Elvis » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:59 am

jhalfhide wrote:
Elvis wrote:I bought a universal ITG filter from authorized ITG dealer in the UK they also sell ITG blank plate were you need to cut the holes by yourself, i preferred to have some one cut it for me, this is hardly a knock off!
In complete agreement here. I have the ITG filter, and it seems to me getting your logo put on someone else's filter doesn't make the original one a "knock off".

I dont think Rottweiler means the ITG filter itself is a knock off, he admits it is coming from ITG but claim it is built to spec they requested from ITG.
What seems to be original/in house design in Rottweiler kit is the plate made out of plastic, as mentioned before the plastic plate will conduct less heat to the air inside the filter which might be an advantage for the Rottweiler kit Vs aluminum plate and ITG combo.

With a bit better pricing i would have opted for Rottweiler instead of ITG.

Rottweiler
125cc
125cc

Post by Rottweiler » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Winterwolf wrote:Be interesting to see if an independent has done a back yo back comparison to see if there's any real difference that's proved the additional cost was worth it though

We came about this thread because we were alerted that someone was looking for parts in our kit by name. The independent comparison has actually has been done and it is somewhere on the ADV Forum website. We would have to dig it up, but it's there. It ended the debate. The additional cost is because we were the ones who designed this idea and brought this item to the market and work hard to support the industry and not take from it or cut corners.

For clarification, we support any 'do it yourself'er' 100% and we don't claim to have any rights to a design on an intake whatsoever. But the knock off's we are talking about are the guys that set up shop and sell an exact copy of our hard work for profit. They exist here, and on other websites and most of them claim to be the same just because both products are made by ITG and they stand to profit from that. This is false and disingenuous to us and the people who purchase them and we feel that as unpopular as it is, it is important for us to clarify this whenever and wherever it pops us.

Do, make or create an intake however you want, that's how we started, but just don't set up shop and claim they are the same as ours. We have gone to great pains in creating something that is not. That's all we are saying.

Winterwolf
250cc
250cc

Post by Winterwolf » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:22 am

Ripped out the sas and old filter box, then stopped as I forgot to buy a couple of bolts to fit the air sensor to George's plate doh!

All went pretty straight forward, so far. Couple of questions though.

1. I forgot to make note of the direction the one way valve goes in the crank case breather.. I assume it's from the engine upto my new mini filter?

2. One of my cylinders was a bit manky looking, does this look OK too everyone?... Hoping its just oil splatter from the crank case breather in the old stock filter box?... The other cylinder was nice and clean.

Cheers
Fin

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Elvis
250cc
250cc

Post by Elvis » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:07 am

Why you need bolts? I used the originals they fit good to the plate.

The one way valve should allow the crank case to blow into the air box, to check direction just blow air with your mouth.

My intake of front cylinder looked exactly the same.

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc

Post by jhalfhide » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:44 am

My originals wouldn't fit the plate, they screwed into the airbox itself. Luckily I had some bolts and nuts handy.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks, reassuring that the mess is normal :lol:

The original screws just weren't snug enough to satisfy me... Much better to bolt it on I think especially with all the vibrations.... Will grab some m5 x 20mm today.

George, if you read this mate, could be an idea to raise your price by a euro and include the nuts and bolts along with the plate?

Winterwolf
250cc
250cc

Post by Winterwolf » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks, reassuring that the mess is normal :lol:

The original screws just weren't snug enough to satisfy me... Much better to bolt it on I think especially with all the vibrations.... Will grab some m5 x 20mm today.

George, if you read this mate, could be an idea to raise your price by a euro and include the nuts and bolts along with the plate?

Winterwolf
250cc
250cc

Post by Winterwolf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Put it all back together and went for a ride on Friday... Definitely helped with the low end snatch, though still room for improvement.

We get a tuneecu cable next and try a new map before a visit to bsd I think....Nice induction noise as well :twisted:

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc

Post by jhalfhide » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:58 pm

Winterwolf wrote:Put it all back together and went for a ride on Friday... Definitely helped with the low end snatch, though still room for improvement.

We get a tuneecu cable next and try a new map before a visit to bsd I think....Nice induction noise as well :twisted:

I've got a mate coming over Sunday so I can do his. Must remember to grab those M5 bolts before then. I've got the TuneECU cable. They're only cheap and are definitely worth it. I love riding mine now the airbox is done. Going to work on it tomorrow, just because [WINKING FACE]

Winterwolf
250cc
250cc

Post by Winterwolf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:36 pm

You can buy 10x m5 20mm nuts/bolts from b&q for about £3 if your stuck

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Tommy
125cc
125cc
City: Vasa
Year: 2009

Post by Tommy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi,

First I would like to thank you all for a good forum full of information. Big thanks to Kevxtx for documenting all his modifications and for sharing his maps.

Now to the reason I am posting. While doing the 15k service this winter I also installed an ITG JC30-80 air filter with the bottom plate from George, installed a separate crankcase breather filter, changed to RC8 front stack , removed secondary butterflies and removed SAS. I also changed the map to Kev's map #20.

Now when I run the bike on idle I have this extra popping sound that comes and goes.
My questions are:
1. Where is coming from? I suspect the crankcase breather.
2. Have anyone else had this problem?
3. How can I get rid of it?

Here is a video and a couple of pictures.
https://youtu.be/IXgAXFpQy-g

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Post by Magic Wand » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:31 pm

That´s a really annoying sound... ! Hope someone can tell what´s wrong.

/M

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc

Post by jhalfhide » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:13 pm

That's really weird, you haven't accidentally clicked SAS on or something have you and it's trying to do something with the engine?

I've done exactly the same mods and the only issue I had was my own doing. I kinked the crankcase breather hose and caused a pressure buildup which meant oil seeped out of my front cylinder head. Unkinking the hose and it sealed itself with no further issues. Sounded fine the whole time though.