How do you remove the oil jet

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
Revelstoker
250cc
250cc
City: Portland, OR
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by Revelstoker » Fri May 05, 2017 5:43 am

Well, I picked up the .30 oil jet from the dealer and put it in. I messed up putting the slave back on, stupid mistake, and managed to pump the slave and lever a few times.

So, I figured I had air in the lines and decided to bleed the slave. Glad I did. Old oil was really black. My syringe and hose was kind of lame, non fitting, so I made a #&%&#($ mess on my garage floor with oil.

Now, to bring you up to speed on my state of mind - we have probably only had 10 dry and maybe 5 sunny days here in Portland, OR since Oct. And, I am not lying or being hyperbolic. Weather has been the shit, even by PNW standards. Making it worse, we didn't really get the snow either, so skiing blew.

We have been grey, rainy and in the 50s for 6 Fing months. Then, yesterday and today - 80 and sunny. So, I rode and rode and rode as much as possible. Downshifts are good, upshifts get a bit notchy when hot and going slow. Shifting at speed is just fine.

In short, I can't really tell if the oil jet has done much of anything but I sure did have one heck of a good time trying to find out.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm

Post by Magic Wand » Sat May 06, 2017 9:09 pm

The weather situation you describe seams to be exactly as in Stockholm, Sweden (Europe) :shock:

Off topic:
You could try to replace/change the clutch fluid in the master cylinder to front fork oil SAE 3 or 5 W.
I replaced the slave cylinder to an Oberon last summer and it works great. Only problem i had doing this was I managed to let some small amount of air into the system and the clutch felt really strange, and it didn´t free when gearing. I had to bleed the system a couple of times.

/M

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:44 pm

Just want to share my (new) experience about the oil jet.

Took it out the other day, and cleaned it using compressed air. No problem.

But... I noticed that the hole in the oil jet was smaller than it used to be... strange. Why?... I asked myselft. Most likely I previously used a screwdriver to loose it, that is too small to fit in the sleeve in the oil jet, which gave the result that I managed to damage the hole a bit... thus made it smaller.
So lession learned; use a screwdriver that fits exactly in the sleeve.

To get the hole bigger I tried to put in a very thin steel-wire (from a steel brush). The oil jet is made of brass (I think!), and thus quite soft, and after a few attempts to 'hammer' the wire through the hole in the oil jet, I succeded. Pulled the wire in and out several times and the hole become bigger, to it's normal size.

/M