How do you remove the oil jet

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
rapidgaz
250cc
250cc
City: Manchester
Year: 2010

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by rapidgaz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi fellas. Jus a quick one. Is this the right cable for tune ecu.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/161747670552

Buck49x
Supporter
Supporter
City: Zion
Year: 2015
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Post by Buck49x » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:54 am

looks like it. why post this in how to remove oil jet?

rapidgaz
250cc
250cc
City: Manchester

How do you remove the oil jet

Post by rapidgaz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:34 am

Buck49x wrote:looks like it. why post this in how to remove oil jet?
Sorry fella, just thought I would ask, rather than trawling through other post, or stating a new thread.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm

Post by Magic Wand » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:48 am

Last time I took the oil jet out was last summer, just after I bought the bike, about 17500 km. No dirt in the hole :D
I did the same operation this morning without a problem. Now about 24500 km. Also at this time there was no dirt in the oil jet hole.
I use Motorex Cross Power 4T 10w/60 oil, and it seams to work perfect.

Can´t say I have had any problems to do shifting, and compared to Triumph Sprint the gearbox is VERY "soft and sweet" in the KTM 8-)

Guys (engineers and what ever you are):
What does the oil jet do? What is the function?
And why should the gear shifting get smoother when making the hole in the oil jet bigger? Provide more amount of oil to the.... yes, to what?
There has to be a logic/practical explanation - don´t you think? Let me know! :P

Some guys saying that changing gear gets much easier with a bigger oil jet hole. But honestly, isn´t it just an experience of the difference when shifting gears, between the oil jet with clogged hole and later when the oil jet is cleaned?

If someone Really can convince me that it IS a advantage to drill the oil jet hole to 0,4 mm I will do that!

/M

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi Magic Wand. I'm only a user (to use an engineering term- the bike is a "black box" :) ).

Yeah, if your gears are sweet, no point checking the jet. You'll know if it's blocked.

If the gears are sweet, then I wouldn't bother changing the jet. You are in a completely different climate to me. I noticed the jet will block up (and I can feel when it blocks and unblocks during a ride), on a really hot stinkin 40+C day, and in slow (50km/h) stop/start traffic into the city inn high gear and low RPM. I hate riding in these conditions, but like to use the bike in certain areas of town as the traffic jams are bad and I am able to "think thin" :lol: . Anyway... it only happens under those conditions, and with the 0,4mm jet, when it's back on open roads and I can give it the beans, it unblocks and the gears feel nice again.

In the past (with the 0.3mm jet), when I unblock a jet by removing it, it's never a piece of metal; rather it seems to be congealed oil. So I reckon on a really hot day, when oil flow through the jet is slow (is: low RPM ??), the oil must congeal at that jet where oil is super heated really quickly, and so it congeals and blocks the hole. This is just a theory of mine.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi limeyduffa

Thanks a lot for your theory about what cloggs the oil jet. I appreciate you taking time to answer my question!

I wount drill the oil jet hole bigger - just let it be as it is.
The temperatures in Sweden (Stockholm) rarely gets higher than 25° C ...
Oil jet.jpg
/M

Gary
675cc
675cc
City: Atlanta

Re: RE: Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by Gary » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:40 pm

limeyduffa wrote:Hi Magic Wand. I'm only a user (to use an engineering term- the bike is a "black box" :) ).

Yeah, if your gears are sweet, no point checking the jet. You'll know if it's blocked.

If the gears are sweet, then I wouldn't bother changing the jet. You are in a completely different climate to me. I noticed the jet will block up (and I can feel when it blocks and unblocks during a ride), on a really hot stinkin 40+C day, and in slow (50km/h) stop/start traffic into the city inn high gear and low RPM. I hate riding in these conditions, but like to use the bike in certain areas of town as the traffic jams are bad and I am able to "think thin" :lol: . Anyway... it only happens under those conditions, and with the 0,4mm jet, when it's back on open roads and I can give it the beans, it unblocks and the gears feel nice again.

In the past (with the 0.3mm jet), when I unblock a jet by removing it, it's never a piece of metal; rather it seems to be congealed oil. So I reckon on a really hot day, when oil flow through the jet is slow (is: low RPM ??), the oil must congeal at that jet where oil is super heated really quickly, and so it congeals and blocks the hole. This is just a theory of mine.
I bought the bike brand new. Shifting to neutral was easy at first. Became worse after a while. No changes after first oil change.

Then I cleaned the blocked jet around 1K miles. Smooth shifting to neutral again.

After a week of in city riding, back to hard shifting neutral.

I'll take a look at the jet again and see if it's blocked.

If it is the case, then commuters better go with 0.4mm jets...

By the way, how do you enlarge the hole to 0.4 mm?

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Re: RE: Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by limeyduffa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:21 pm

Go to an electronics (supplies) store (not sure the equivalent in the states. Here and NZ it's Jaycar). They will have small drill bits to do printed circuit board manufacture. Also buy a pin chuck (ie: a hand operated drill used for small bits).

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:22 pm

These are the tools I used to demount the oil jet:
IMG_1726.jpg
IMG_1727.jpg
IMG_1725.jpg
/M
Last edited by Magic Wand on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Post by limeyduffa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Cool :), what's on the edge of the screwdriver ?. Bluetack ?

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:43 pm

limeyduffa
Don´t know what you call it - but it is a double-sided tape. Works perfectly!
Be sure to clean all parts before trying this (use a cotton pin or similar), otherwise the tape will not attach due to the "oily" surface on the jet.
/M

Tommy
125cc
125cc
City: Vasa
Year: 2009

Post by Tommy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:15 pm

I know this thread is one year old but I thought I would share how I was able to remove the oil jet. First I tried all the screwdrivers I could find, trying to get them to stick. When that wasn't working I took the vacuum cleaner, put a thin cloth over the nozzle and just sucked the oil jet out of the hole. Worked like a charm!

I used kärcher industrial vacuum cleaner. I'm not sure if normal vacuum cleaners are as powerful but I think it is worth it to give it a go.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Tommy
Great advice! I will probably try the vacuum cleaner method next time :)

Last time I took the oil jet out, I cleaned/dryed it the best I could, and then aplicaterd copper paste to the screwdrivers head and the jet got "stucked" in the paste and followed when I pulled up 8-)

/M

inazumarob
Supporter
Supporter
City: Plymouth
Year: 2009

Post by inazumarob » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:07 pm

The oil jet is a standard motorcycle carburettor jet. Not really necessary to drill out as small drills are more expensive than the new jet. A new jet is about £3 or thereabouts from Carb jet suppliers on Ebay.
A .4 mm jet is marked as a 40, so a 50 would be .5 mm.
Please bear in mind that there are different threads according to carb manufacturer.
Last edited by inazumarob on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thirdway
990cc
990cc
City: Darlington
Colour: White

Post by Thirdway » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Gave up trying to get my oil jet unscrewed. The dealer can sort it for a few quid, then, once it's been unthread locked I can probably do it myself. I had a screwdriver with a pair of Mole grips on it-no chance. Hats off to you guys with the patience and skill to do that job, it's like open heart surgery with metal.

Lots of swearing. Why didn't KTM put the bloody thing in a place that can be reached. Why the hell does it need clutch slave, brackets, shields, regulator and all the awfully designed shite that KTM has managed to think up, in order to unscrew one little bit of effin brass.

I didn't have a copper washer to put back on the cover so it will probably Spring a leak in due course, so better get it into the bike surgeons to sort it out.

Still, managed to grease upper and lower head bearings without losing my fingers. New air filter, new plugs and oil/filter change. Got rid of the air gubbins and fitted blanking plates.Just the front and rear brakes to clean up and I can ride it.

Took the heat shield things off the Akro pipes-looks better. Thre

Gary
675cc
675cc
City: Atlanta

Post by Gary » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Using something sticky is the way to go.

Accessing the jet is not hard though I think, at least for the 2015 superduke. Just take the front sprocket cover and there it is.

Use a flat screw driver bit attached to a small hex key and unscrew the jet.

Use something sticky to pull it out.

Clean, dry, put it back in...

Thirdway
990cc
990cc
City: Darlington
Colour: White

Post by Thirdway » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:31 am

I got a screwdriver on it with a pair of mole grips-no matter how much downwards pressure I applied it seemed to just twist out of the slot in the jet. I thought it's better to retreat than to mash up the jet completely. It will take the dealer 20 minutes and £30 with less likelihood of me having a stroke from the blood pressure :lol:

Sometimes I look at Jap bikes and sigh. Jump on, start up, ride- no fretting about oil jets, side stand switches, fuel filters, fuel expanding the tank, stuck brake calipers and warped disks, instruments packing up or oil pipes exploding, screws going rusty, or clutch slaves falling apart. Then again, I never have to get intimate with them which takes away some of the pleasure- just a wash, dry and polish every now and then. Until my last bike-Ducati ST4 s-I hadn't even pulled off a fairing panel, or removed a tank. The first bike I bought on return to biking was a VFR800- just peaking through the gaps in the plastics was baffling after 70s/80s bikes where you could change a plug after pulling the plug off and the air filter was a foam thing accessed by a couple of screws from the side of the bike. Oil change took 5 minutes and nothing but filter/sump plug and filler cap to remove. Why does it take two hours to change an air filter ?

Revelstoker
250cc
250cc
City: Portland, OR

Post by Revelstoker » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Hello, i have a 2010 SMT.

I have been experiencing notchy shifting, when the bike gets hot. I came across this oil jet issue and thought I would have go with it.

I got the oil jet out but it is completely sealed. No hole.

Is this normal for a 2010? Should I pick up a .50 jet and put it in?

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Search the forum - there is some good information about this.

Is the temperature high/hot in Portland? If not I would recommend you to not replace the oil jet to a bigger size.

/M

Newjerseyduke
675cc
675cc
City: Riverdale , NJ

Post by Newjerseyduke » Fri May 05, 2017 3:18 am

Revelstoker wrote:Hello, i have a 2010 SMT.

I have been experiencing notchy shifting, when the bike gets hot. I came across this oil jet issue and thought I would have go with it.

I got the oil jet out but it is completely sealed. No hole.

Is this normal for a 2010? Should I pick up a .50 jet and put it in?
i just checked mine tonight. no hole in the jet either. service book says to check and clean if dirty. mines a '15 1290.
2015 SDR 1290