How do you remove the oil jet

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
User avatar
limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am
Country: Australia
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:29 am

budgesrsv wrote:Mines now done around 6000 miles with the opened up jet with no problems. It has also been clear of shit when I've checked it during oil changes :D
Good point. The proof of the pudding is in the eating they say, which you have proved. I still think it's a bit strange that the KTM engineers haven't revised this jet with a 0.4mm jet, since the cost is the dealers pissing around with an extra maintenance steps, plus customers putting up with potentially shitty gear shifting during the 15k service cycle when this thing is inspected.

I'm an old tech (technical field: a degree and a diploma, 43 YO) and have learnt (the hard way that) there are more smarter people on this earth then myself and there are reasons for doing things a certain way that are not apparent. If I change it, I learn the hard way why it is what it is. So I think twice before changing something (to me) should be changed but hasn't. "just sayin" :D. I'm careful with things I don't fully understand.

budgesrsv
990cc
990cc
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm
Country: uk
City: manchester
Year: 2011
Colour: Black

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by budgesrsv » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:54 am

I'm pretty much the same and I have made a few cock-ups along the way :lol: I only drilled out the jet because I was pissed off with the gear change and every time I checked it out of curiosity it was blocked.
KTM obviously don't look to upgrade or improve things as the same faults and issues come up again and again. If they did then we wouldn't be changing fuel maps, fuel filters, clutch cylinders etc etc

User avatar
limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am
Country: Australia
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:16 pm

budgesrsv wrote:I'm pretty much the same and I have made a few cock-ups along the way :lol: I only drilled out the jet because I was pissed off with the gear change and every time I checked it out of curiosity it was blocked.
KTM obviously don't look to upgrade or improve things as the same faults and issues come up again and again. If they did then we wouldn't be changing fuel maps, fuel filters, clutch cylinders etc etc
Another good point :)

User avatar
limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am
Country: Australia
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by limeyduffa » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:26 am

Just finished servicing my bike (took all day Saturday)... not finished yet since I have to replace one of the fuel tank's nut cages. I decided to take your advice and bore the jet out to 0.4mm ;). I'll order a replacement jet in slow time. If there's any issues, I'll just replace it.

PS/ Jet was blocked like a constipated mathematician :D
Last edited by limeyduffa on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thirdway
990cc
990cc
Posts: 721
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:45 pm
Country: UK
City: Darlington
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by Thirdway » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:54 am

budgesrsv wrote:I'm pretty much the same and I have made a few cock-ups along the way :lol: I only drilled out the jet because I was pissed off with the gear change and every time I checked it out of curiosity it was blocked.
KTM obviously don't look to upgrade or improve things as the same faults and issues come up again and again. If they did then we wouldn't be changing fuel maps, fuel filters, clutch cylinders etc etc
Can you explain 'pissed off with the gear change' ?
My change is kind of agricultural and notchy like there is a delay between pulling in the clutch and the power being disconnected-a bit like doing a bad clutch less shift I can feel the gears rattling beneath the gear lever.

budgesrsv
990cc
990cc
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm
Country: uk
City: manchester
Year: 2011
Colour: Black

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by budgesrsv » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:56 pm

You just explained it perfectly :lol: I wondered at the time whether the oil jet was the cause. It might make a bit of difference but not much. The biggest factor in improving the gear change is your left hand and foot :D
The clutch needs a good pull and the gear lever a firm foot, took me a while to get used to it after riding Japanese sports bikes.

supermotoD
125cc
125cc
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:16 am
Country: us
City: brentwood
Year: 2014
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by supermotoD » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:24 pm

budgesrsv wrote:You just explained it perfectly :lol: I wondered at the time whether the oil jet was the cause. It might make a bit of difference but not much. The biggest factor in improving the gear change is your left hand and foot :D
The clutch needs a good pull and the gear lever a firm foot, took me a while to get used to it after riding Japanese sports bikes.
Great reply, Lol !

Thirdway
990cc
990cc
Posts: 721
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:45 pm
Country: UK
City: Darlington
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by Thirdway » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:37 pm

budgesrsv wrote:You just explained it perfectly :lol: I wondered at the time whether the oil jet was the cause. It might make a bit of difference but not much. The biggest factor in improving the gear change is your left hand and foot :D
The clutch needs a good pull and the gear lever a firm foot, took me a while to get used to it after riding Japanese sports bikes.
Well I was used to agricultural changes, but even so, the rapid fire engine doesn't mesh well with the slow gear change. It's only if I'm really tramping up and down the box that I can feel the gearbox is too slow for the bike. At least It's one thing I can forget about.

budgesrsv
990cc
990cc
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm
Country: uk
City: manchester
Year: 2011
Colour: Black

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by budgesrsv » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:36 pm

It used to really wind me up but I just accept it now as part of the SMTs "character" :lol:

Thirdway
990cc
990cc
Posts: 721
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:45 pm
Country: UK
City: Darlington
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by Thirdway » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:30 am

budgesrsv wrote:It used to really wind me up but I just accept it now as part of the SMTs "character" :lol:
I tend to leave it in a lower gear now-although that has its downsides when closing the throttle acts like a set of brakes, or go in slightly higher geared and lug it a bit ( unsatisfactory and unbalanced ).

User avatar
limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am
Country: Australia
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by limeyduffa » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:04 pm

I only get crappy gear changes in town when I'm in slow traffic. In the hills when giving it the berries, it's no problem :)

User avatar
Buck49x
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:50 am
Country: USA
City: Zion
Year: 2015
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by Buck49x » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:50 am

Try CJDesignsllc.com he has a resized oil jet i think its .5mm and the way he describes it is that the bigger the hole the harder it is to get into neutral. THey found a happy medium, gets more oil and not too bad to get in neutral. I just purchased mine and will let you know when I get it put in how it rides.

User avatar
limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am
Country: Australia
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:20 am

Ok thanks. I'll give it a go.

User avatar
Buck49x
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:50 am
Country: USA
City: Zion
Year: 2015
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by Buck49x » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:17 am

Put the new jet on and a new oberon slave and the bike feels like it shifts so smoothly now. I am very happy with the .5MM jet. Another great product by CJ Designs!! :D

User avatar
limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am
Country: Australia
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:05 am

I've used the bike since my last comment (6 months) with a 0.4mm bored jet. Gear changes have never been sweeter. I did my summer/autumn service today. Both the engine oil screen and the reservoir oil screen are completely free of metal chips. This is telling me that my gearbox is no longer suffering damage, and this is the result of the mod and the cleaner gear changes.

All: Thanks for the tips above :)

User avatar
Buck49x
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:50 am
Country: USA
City: Zion
Year: 2015
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by Buck49x » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:22 am

nice. I just did my oil change and mine was clear of metal flakes too.

rapidgaz
125cc
125cc
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:48 pm
Country: England
City: Manchester
Year: 2010

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by rapidgaz » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi folks. My first post on here. Been looking around for a while. I have a 2009 super duke. What is the best way to remove this jet. Does it need unscrewing first then sucking out. Any help would be much appreciated

User avatar
limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am
Country: Australia
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by limeyduffa » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:32 am

rapidgaz wrote:Hi folks. My first post on here. Been looking around for a while. I have a 2009 super duke. What is the best way to remove this jet. Does it need unscrewing first then sucking out. Any help would be much appreciated
There's a few good articles on here with pictures. Do a search, but in summary a flat blade head drill bit and a 8mm spanner does the trick. Unscrew the well cap, If the jet is blocked and It's probably going to be, it well be full of oil. You can try unblocking the jet to drain the oil, or mop it out with tissue or suck it out with a syringe. Once it's dry, screen it with the bit and spanner, and use a bit of blue tack to pluck the jet out.

With the flat blade drill bit, make sure the flat blade it's the right size number. I can't remember off my head, it might be a #6.

Nb/ I'm an ex-990 SD owner :)

rapidgaz
125cc
125cc
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:48 pm
Country: England
City: Manchester
Year: 2010

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by rapidgaz » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:04 pm

limeyduffa wrote:
rapidgaz wrote:Hi folks. My first post on here. Been looking around for a while. I have a 2009 super duke. What is the best way to remove this jet. Does it need unscrewing first then sucking out. Any help would be much appreciated
There's a few good articles on here with pictures. Do a search, but in summary a flat blade head drill bit and a 8mm spanner does the trick. Unscrew the well cap, If the jet is blocked and It's probably going to be, it well be full of oil. You can try unblocking the jet to drain the oil, or mop it out with tissue or suck it out with a syringe. Once it's dry, screen it with the bit and spanner, and use a bit of blue tack to pluck the jet out.

With the flat blade drill bit, make sure the flat blade it's the right size number. I can't remember off my head, it might be a #6.

Nb/ I'm an ex-990 SD owner :)
Cheers matey. Got it out today. Is it worth making the hole 0.4mm.

User avatar
limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am
Country: Australia
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: How do you remove the oil jet

Post by limeyduffa » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:03 am

rapidgaz wrote:Cheers matey. Got it out today. Is it worth making the hole 0.4mm.
Yes, absolutely. I questioned the mod at first, wondering why KTM hadn't superseded the jet as it is such a simple fix to a fault that has plagued LC8 owners, to the extent of damaging gearboxes and (in some cases) turning away customers to other brands. However, I have come to the realisation that KTM stopped improvements on the LC8 when the RC8 got released. There would be some sort of engineering effort by KTM for a design change on the obsolete LC8 engine and no return of $$$. All speculation of course, but it makes sense.

Anyway, KTM are doing nothing about it, so it's in the hands of us to do our own improvements.

Post Reply