Kevxtx KTM SMR/SMT Mod book

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
Scutty
990cc
990cc
City: Guildford
Year: 2011
Colour: Silver

Re: Kevxtx KTM SMR/SMT Mod book

Post by Scutty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Kev - just let me know when you're ready. Before June would be great as I am on holiday for most of June :D :D :D
2014 KMT 690 Enduro R and 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Because you can never have too much of a great thing!

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Scutty wrote:Kev - just let me know when you're ready. Before June would be great as I am on holiday for most of June :D :D :D
Thanks mate still working through it all at the moment, most of my parts that I ordered from KTM Australia have not come in after waiting 6 weeks for them, so I have just re-ordered them from the UK tonight & wanted to add the mods to Edition 2 so it will be in a few weeks time, I will get back to you as soon as I am ready. :D

Scutty
990cc
990cc
City: Guildford

Post by Scutty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Cool
2014 KMT 690 Enduro R and 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Because you can never have too much of a great thing!

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:26 am

I have had a few guys ask where to download my mod book from so I have brought this thread forwards as it is quite deep in the info world, go to the first page to get yourself a copy. :D

I am still working on the next edition, I will let you all know when it is ready for downloading.

BIG_BIRD
50cc
50cc
City: Mansfield
Year: 2009
Colour: Black

Post by BIG_BIRD » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Just bought a 09 smt yesterday just up above you, on the sunshine coast. It's at my brothers place atm, I'm in Vic and flying up there in 3 weeks to pick it up and ride it home. I am new to this forum and have just come across your mods book, and am blown away. Well done!
I have had many bikes over the years (35 and counting) and have modded them all, but nowhere near to the extent of you. Our wives should talk. I even got my hayabusa to go alot faster, not sure why, but why not! I will certainly be doing a couple of mods reading your expert opinions , first, new cans and mapping, then who knows.
Can you recommend anyone up that way for say, some new leo vinces and appropriate mapping(power commander)? I might try get it done before I pick up the bike? Pm me if you wish. Thanks again for the great read.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Welcome mate, my wife always say you can never leave things alone can you, I know what she means modifying is like a drug to me. :D

Wing exhausts is what I would be fitting if I fitted pipes again you can buy them locally, the Leo's are great, louder than the wings with the baffles in.

Do yourself a favour buy a Tune ECU cable & you can install the maps yourself, or you can pay $500.00 for a custom Tune ECU map here in Brisbane. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3770

Edgecase
250cc
250cc
City: London

Post by Edgecase » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:45 pm

This page should really be pinned so it is always at the top.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:59 am

I wish I could, it would stop a lot of repeated questions but unfortunately the forum is a very basic version & has no sticky that I can find believe me I have searched.

aa_blackbeard
500cc
500cc
City: Doha
Year: 2010

Post by aa_blackbeard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi guys, I have a 2010 990 SMR (European version), today my bike overheated when I was stuck in traffic for 20 minutes! The engine shut down completely. I switched it off then on again in 10 seconds and it ran ok but sounds a bit strange as the engine is so damn hot!
That happened twice, once during mid day when it was hot (around 30 degrees c) and I had a passenger as well. And happened again during the night during a long red light and. traffic jam.
Can someone tell me what's going on? What can I do to change that? The bike has only 22000 km on the clock so the engine is fairly new. Do I have to park it for now? Can I travel with it (I have a 500 km trip in the morning mostly highways)

Thanks in advance

vilas69
250cc
250cc
City: Porto

Post by vilas69 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:37 pm

It's perfectly normal that this engine overheated after 20 minutes stopped in a hot country like yours, sadly... :| But maybe you should check if your radiator/fan are obstructed, because they should handle the overheating...

aa_blackbeard
500cc
500cc

Post by aa_blackbeard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:05 pm

vilas69 wrote:It's perfectly normal that this engine overheated after 20 minutes stopped in a hot country like yours, sadly... :| But maybe you should check if your radiator/fan are obstructed, because they should handle the overheating...
Thanks 4 the quick response bro, I'm fairly new to ktm actually, I used to ride a 2006 CBR1000rr fireblade, surprisingly it used to hande more heat and traffic jams! !
The fan's running ok though! Nothing's obstructing it. Yet a friend of mine just remapped my bike to give higher power output on the first 3 gears (or something close to that), I also changed the engine oil a couple of days ago but not the filter, cleaned the airfilter as well, I thought these steps would make the bike better.
Does any of the above might have contributed in the overheating issue?

cavlovic
500cc
500cc
City: Podgorica
Year: 2012

Post by cavlovic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:23 pm

aa_blackbeard wrote:
vilas69 wrote:It's perfectly normal that this engine overheated after 20 minutes stopped in a hot country like yours, sadly... :| But maybe you should check if your radiator/fan are obstructed, because they should handle the overheating...
Thanks 4 the quick response bro, I'm fairly new to ktm actually, I used to ride a 2006 CBR1000rr fireblade, surprisingly it used to hande more heat and traffic jams! !
The fan's running ok though! Nothing's obstructing it. Yet a friend of mine just remapped my bike to give higher power output on the first 3 gears (or something close to that), I also changed the engine oil a couple of days ago but not the filter, cleaned the airfilter as well, I thought these steps would make the bike better.
Does any of the above might have contributed in the overheating issue?
If you have stock, paper, air filter, you need to replace it. Those are not meant to be cleaned. Also, you need to replace oil filter each time you change engine oil.

Those two things would not affect coolant temperature much. You need to check your coolant level and refill or replace with better coolant. Some people here reported they had good results with coolant change.

In my city it gets over 40 degrees celsius in peak summer days, and I have never had overheating problems, and I commute daily with my bike. 30 degrees is not high temperature at all so you should never see all bars on temperature lit up if everything is ok, let alone overheating.

aa_blackbeard
500cc
500cc

Post by aa_blackbeard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:39 pm

I bought this bike 2 weeks ago, it never overheated actually until I've had the remapping, oil change, air filter cleaned! Is that related? My friend (who remapped the bike) said he knows that problem and he'll be fixing it (not sure what's he gonna do)
The question is can I do a trip tomorrow with it? Is gonna be mainly highways with no traffic jams.

Can you guys also guide me share can I get spare parts online delivered to Egypt? I can't seem to find any online store.

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver
Colour: White

Post by adcolor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:16 am

"it never overheated actually until I've had the remapping".
Cause=affect.

I suspect he will lessen your ignition advance or enrichen your air/fuel mixture.
Monitor your temperature and slow down if it gets too hot.

I would guess that he may have changed the built in 2/3 gear limits in the ECU. There is a well documented setting that is by default turned on that reduces power in these two gears (I believe it is a retarded ignition curve, but you can search this site for more accurate information).
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

aa_blackbeard
500cc
500cc

Post by aa_blackbeard » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:57 am

Guys, I'm really thankful for your replies. And I'm also very embarrassed, it never crossed my mind to check the coolant level in the radiator itself, but it turns out that it was missing at least 1 liter of coolant! I topped it up and all came back to normal again.

As I'm a newbie to the ktm family, what advice can you guys give me, what mods can I make with the minimum spend as possible?
Also if be thankful if you can point me to an online store where I can shop spares and accessories for my bike, it'd be awesome if it delivers to Egypt as well.

Thanks again guys

Regards
Blackbeard

lcjohnny
675cc
675cc
City: Bristol
Model: SMT

Post by lcjohnny » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:19 am

Glad you got it sorted

If your friend has a dynomometer and the pick ups to read the exhaust o2 he should be able to re-map it but unless you have made some mods the standard map is not bad. And Kevxtx has compiled some good improved maps that can be loaded from a windows laptop

If you blew your air filter out with air then replacing it is necessary but not vital right now. If you tried to clean it with any liquid including solvents that may be a major problem

For spares try ktmtwins.com or jimaimracing.com.uk

Good luck
Jon
-------------------------
Sold it. Got an Aprilia Shiver

aa_blackbeard
500cc
500cc

Post by aa_blackbeard » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Guys, I might be in Houston Texas early December 2013, is there somewhere where I can shop for my SMR over there? Parts, mods, etc...

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:16 am

As we can'y make this a sticky I have bought this thread forward for the forums new users.

lew-hand-93
675cc
675cc
City: Liverpool

Post by lew-hand-93 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi guys

Sorry if this sounds a bit dense but did edition 2 of the mod book ever make it as the Pdf at the start of the thread looks to be 1.1

Thanks

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Mon May 05, 2014 1:12 am

V1.1 is the latest version, V2 is half finished sitting on my Desktop, I will get back onto it one day, the last edition took me a year to gather all the info, there is hundereds of hours put into a book like this from the actual testing side to putting it down in print for everyone to read.