Fading digits on speedo

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
arg
500cc
500cc
City: Biggleswade
Year: 2010

Fading digits on speedo

Post by arg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:05 pm

I don't know if it has been covered before but I ve had a problem with fading digits on the speedo which I ve fixed. My bike is out of warranty and I do all my own work.

When I brought it, there were white flecks behind the clear plastic on the display, I took the fairing to bits, removed the clocks and took it to bits. Only 4 posize drive screws, easy. The white flecks were from where the display rubs against the four mounting pillers of the front cover. I cleaned this and put it all back together. However after a week the digits on the display started to dim, eventually after a month they would disappear altogether, especially when cold.

I took it to bits again, then had a closer look. The LCD part of the display is not soldered to the pcb but push in, so just pushing the display panel around the LCD remade the connections and the digits were ok again. Now these connections will cause problems, especially if any damp gets in, I would suggest ruggadising this by soldering the LCD into it's holder but I couldn't get the PCB out of the casing.

Has anybody removed the complete pcb? Or does anybody have a spare damaged display we can experiment on?

Rangoonruns
990cc
990cc
City: Wolverhampton
Colour: Silver

Re: Fading digits on speedo

Post by Rangoonruns » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:29 pm

I am going to ring my dealer tomorrow mine have just started fading and you guessed correct the bike has just passed the two year mark :(

so i will be experimenting with your findings to date if my dealer is not prepared to help me any.

As for getting the pcb out of the casing all together, i would have thought once the case was split it would only be a case of removing the board?? are there no other screws from the rear?

Fingers crossed that the dealer can wangle me a replacement, i will also use my middle aged boyish charm to get the old one from him....... I like a challenge :lol:

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Post by ogden » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:33 am

Rangoonruns wrote:I am going to ring my dealer tomorrow mine have just started fading and you guessed correct the bike has just passed the two year mark :(
Interestingly, the page about extended warranties seems to have vanished from KTM's web site.

Make of that what you will.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

Joe
125cc
125cc
City: Cobourg

Fading digits on speedo

Post by Joe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:10 am

I had the same problem. Had mine apart three times, I finally realized ( and google search) that the white layer was vibrating and causing the LCD pins to lose contact and all that white dust.

I ended up separating all the layers, the circuit board, the white panel, the fibre optic, the LCD and then the outer layer with the tach labelling etc. The circuit panel is the only one screwed down and the others are clipped which is the problem. I ended up assembling and glueing each of the outer layer to the circuit board and then screwed it all back together. I had to drill a hole in the optic layer to access one screw but that was it. I also ran a bead of on the edge of the LCD just to keep it put.

I have put maybe 500km since my last repair and all is still good, before it wouldn't last 50km before the digits would start Flickering. I used Gloozit automotive adhesize if I remember correctly.

arg
500cc
500cc

Post by arg » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:30 am

When you say drill a hole on the optic layer to get to a screw, is this what is holding the optic layer to the pcb?

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:50 am

Joe
125cc
125cc

Post by Joe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Mine was similar to this one, but without the water leak or broken pins on the LCD.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthre ... fog-repair

I had to drill the optic layer so I could install the layer as an assembly, after bonding them together rather then relying on the clips like they originally were.

Joe
125cc
125cc

Post by Joe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:08 pm

arg wrote:When you say drill a hole on the optic layer to get to a screw, is this what is holding the optic layer to the pcb?

The optic layer and white layer are just clipped together and then clip to the PCB so when you glue them together there needs to be a hole in the optic layer so you can reinstall the screw down through all the layers. You do not need to drill the hole to remove the layer(s) originally. They are a bit tricky to get apart the first time but the PCB is the only part inside the housing held by the screws. I really should have taken some pictures while I did the repair.

arg
500cc
500cc

Post by arg » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 pm

So you are saying, that you will break the clips that hold it together when you take it to bits?

Joe
125cc
125cc

Post by Joe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:47 pm

arg wrote:So you are saying, that you will break the clips that hold it together when you take it to bits?
I think I broke a couple each time I took it apart, so by the last time there were none left. The original issue is with the clips not holding and allowing for vibrations, hence the need for glue anyways. When it's all glued together it then gets screwed back into the housing.

I think my original error was not removing the tach background for fear of mangling it. On my final attempt I realized it had to come off somehow and I threw caution to the wind. It is fairly flexible but it did come off and go back on undamaged. Had I done this the first time I think I could have gotten the clips easier and not broken them. The tack background is just taped onto the optic/LCD screen.

Rangoonruns
990cc
990cc

Post by Rangoonruns » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:25 pm

I used the links on this thread and read the above posts, and here is how I got on....... on my 2010 smt.

1. Removed the LH and RH Outer cowls.
2. Removed the Headlight Mask.
3. removed the 3x TX screws securing the speedo and pulled the plug

Now you can take the speedo somewhere warm ! (only essential in the UK)

4. starting with the unit upside down remove the 4x posi-drive screws, insert a coin or similar to seperate the outer cases.
5. Pull tacho needle from front of speedometer and take your visa card and slide it between the speedo face it is glued only, it will come away cleanly. see pic

6. Take out the two screws shown below

7. With these two screws removed you can now take the speedo completely out of the bottom of the housing. My housing was dry but filled with white plastic dust from the vibrating inner spacer plate.

8. You can now carefully seperate the 3 layers of the speedo unt, carefully lift the clear top optical layer free by undoing the retaining clips and pulling upwards to remove the LCD pins from the PCB female connector slot.
9. The white mid layer spacer plate can now be removed and you will have all 3 pieces ready to clean and re-assemble.

10. Once cleaned I glued up the white mid layer ready to bond to the bottom pcb (see pic)

11. I then applied a coating of electric contact grease to the female LCD connector strip on the pcb layer

12. I then ran some glue ontop of the white midlayer where the clear optical layer contacts (sorry forgot to take pic but if you decide to follow this you will have worked it out)
13. Then i installed the top layer being careful with the LCD pins and pushed it all home.
14. Re-assemble everything in reverse order, applying a little sealant to the two casing halfs, back onto the bike and hey presto it all seems fine!

I realise that this has made disassembly for future repairs very difficult if not impossible, but the LCD unit can still be pulled and swapped if that fails, anything on the pcb i would'nt have a clue anyway, i will see how it holds up over the next few months.

Thanks for the above links and pointers it all made my fix very easy, hope the pictures help anyone attempting this on their bike, (total time 1.5 hrs) including removal and refitting to bike.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Joe
125cc
125cc

Fading digits on speedo

Post by Joe » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:23 pm

Rangoonruns wrote:I used the links on this thread and read the above posts, and here is how I got on....... on my 2010 smt.

1. Removed the LH and RH Outer cowls.
2. Removed the Headlight Mask.
3. removed the 3x TX screws securing the speedo and pulled the plug

Now you can take the speedo somewhere warm ! (only essential in the UK)

4. starting with the unit upside down remove the 4x posi-drive screws, insert a coin or similar to seperate the outer cases.
5. Pull tacho needle from front of speedometer and take your visa card and slide it between the speedo face it is glued only, it will come away cleanly. see pic

6. Take out the two screws shown below

7. With these two screws removed you can now take the speedo completely out of the bottom of the housing. My housing was dry but filled with white plastic dust from the vibrating inner spacer plate.

8. You can now carefully seperate the 3 layers of the speedo unt, carefully lift the clear top optical layer free by undoing the retaining clips and pulling upwards to remove the LCD pins from the PCB female connector slot.
9. The white mid layer spacer plate can now be removed and you will have all 3 pieces ready to clean and re-assemble.

10. Once cleaned I glued up the white mid layer ready to bond to the bottom pcb (see pic)

11. I then applied a coating of electric contact grease to the female LCD connector strip on the pcb layer

12. I then ran some glue ontop of the white midlayer where the clear optical layer contacts (sorry forgot to take pic but if you decide to follow this you will have worked it out)
13. Then i installed the top layer being careful with the LCD pins and pushed it all home.
14. Re-assemble everything in reverse order, applying a little sealant to the two casing halfs, back onto the bike and hey presto it all seems fine!

I realise that this has made disassembly for future repairs very difficult if not impossible, but the LCD unit can still be pulled and swapped if that fails, anything on the pcb i would'nt have a clue anyway, i will see how it holds up over the next few months.

Thanks for the above links and pointers it all made my fix very easy, hope the pictures help anyone attempting this on their bike, (total time 1.5 hrs) including removal and refitting to bike.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Great write up.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Nice +1 :D

King Tut
675cc
675cc
City: Peardale

Post by King Tut » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:13 am

Great write up!

My 2010 I bought new last April started to do the fading digit thing before Christmas when I rode it for our local toy run. It was my first ride in temps below 50 degrees. It did the same thing on the next ride a couple weeks later in cool temps, the digits did come back as the day warmed up. Jumped on the bike today with the same fade problem and rode it to the dealer but by the time I made it there all digits were working. They will keep the bike overnight and with temps in the mid 20's tonight I'm sure it will fade for them in the morning.
Service rep said this and fogging in the lens is common for KTM and they will replace the instrument cluster under warranty. Whew!

King Tut
675cc
675cc
City: Peardale

Post by King Tut » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:30 am

KTM' replaced my speedo today on their dime under warranty as I just bought the bike last April.
They did charge me $19.95 for a handling fee-bastards! My local shop told me the unit was $577.00 new so 20 bucks is better than that.

Marcelo
250cc
250cc
City: sao paulo

Post by Marcelo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi guys

+1

I just finished my speedomter internal cleanning after faced the fadings digits too and now everything ok!! :D

Rangoonruns, thanks a lot for the clearlly thread

Rangoonruns
990cc
990cc

Post by Rangoonruns » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:26 pm

My pleasure Marcelo

mine are still going strong since the repair :D :D

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:27 pm

Just moved this thread to a sticky.

jeremybingham
125cc
125cc
City: Lincoln
Year: 2009
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by jeremybingham » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:26 am

Hi All,my 18000 5 year old smt has just started with a dash screen fault; the digits disappear everything disappears, speedo stops working and soft err or dat appears, then eventually it all comes back on with the trip reset nad the clock back to 1200! CAN anyone help; do you think this is the same as the fading digits issue?

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:59 am

There are many reported cases of this problem, pull the dash apart & inspect.