990 Power Commander 5 & Tune ECU custom maps

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
MastrUsr
125cc
125cc
City: Halmstad
Year: 2017

Re: RE: Re: 990 Power Commander 5 & Tune ECU custom maps

Post by MastrUsr » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Jnberr0 wrote:Thanks for the advice, all. I may just try the Rottweiler fueling dongles first, just to richen up the bottom end a bit. If that doesn't help, I'll dive in to TuneECU world and try of of the suggested maps. Good to know the 2nd flies aren't a hard process. That does open things up a bit in terms of options.

Thanks again!
I would love to hear the outcome! :)

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Tommy
125cc
125cc
City: Vasa
Year: 2009
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: 990 Power Commander 5 & Tune ECU custom maps

Post by Tommy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:51 am

Magic Wand wrote:Maybe because "Jnberr0" dosn´t want to listen to the intake sound (noise) :-)
I had the secondary flies removed and the intake sound is very much noticeable. I mostly use ear plugs so I don´t care that much.

/M
Is it a big difference with second flies in? I always thought it was the open air filter that caused the noise. Or maybe we are thinking about different noises? I might even consider putting the second flies back if I would get rid of the noise between 3000 and 3500rpm.

Mich69
Supporter
Supporter
City: Amsterdam
Year: 2012
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Post by Mich69 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Tommy wrote:
Magic Wand wrote:Maybe because "Jnberr0" dosn´t want to listen to the intake sound (noise) :-)
I had the secondary flies removed and the intake sound is very much noticeable. I mostly use ear plugs so I don´t care that much.

/M
Is it a big difference with second flies in? I always thought it was the open air filter that caused the noise. Or maybe we are thinking about different noises? I might even consider putting the second flies back if I would get rid of the noise between 3000 and 3500rpm.
Yes it is. Get those flies in if you cannot bear the noise!

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010

Post by Magic Wand » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:33 pm

"Tommy"

Yes, just like "Mich69" says; it is a big difference with or without the second flies mounted.
When I drive at track days the sound/noise doesn´t bother me at all, because I´m so focused of my driving, but when cruising around in town or at commuting I don´t like the noise.

I have a K&N air filter mounted (still original air box), and don´t think that will cause higher intake sound/noise.

But the snorkel to the air box is dismounted and that may cause some "extra noise". I´m not sure, but I think so.

/M

MastrUsr
125cc
125cc

Post by MastrUsr » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:56 am

Could anyone try to describe the noise? :)

MastrUsr
125cc
125cc

Post by MastrUsr » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:56 am

Could anyone try to describe the noise? :)

Edit: I don't know what happened :s Had some error..
Someone please delete..

Mich69
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Mich69 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:13 am

MastrUsr wrote:Could anyone try to describe the noise? :)

It is a clear metalish rasping sound. You can hear the camshaft hammering the valves down. Best experienced between 3000 and 3500 rpm in my case. Outside this zone, the motor is purring like a kitten compared to the noise.

MastrUsr
125cc
125cc

Post by MastrUsr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:23 am

Mich69 wrote:

It is a clear metalish rasping sound. You can hear the camshaft hammering the valves down. Best experienced between 3000 and 3500 rpm in my case. Outside this zone, the motor is purring like a kitten compared to the noise.
Ok! Is it worth the upgrade? I don't mind sound but my gf do and I don't want her to be less prone to ride the bike with me! :)

Mich69
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Mich69 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:10 pm

It takes less than 30 minutes to take the flies out. Try it and judge for yourself. When riding with earplugs it is hardly noticeable. Much smoother ride with the flies out. But this is all subjective.
MastrUsr wrote:
Mich69 wrote:

Ok! Is it worth the upgrade? I don't mind sound but my gf do and I don't want her to be less prone to ride the bike with me! :)

Winterwolf
250cc
250cc
City: Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Year: 2013

Post by Winterwolf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:14 am

Mine is going in tomorrow morning with JW in Malton.... Think I like my engine braking to much to lose the flies out.

And of course it's forecast for rain!... That's going to be a fun 4 hour trip there and back!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MastrUsr
125cc
125cc

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 990 Power Commander 5 & Tune ECU custom maps

Post by MastrUsr » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Mich69 wrote:It takes less than 30 minutes to take the flies out. Try it and judge for yourself. When riding with earplugs it is hardly noticeable. Much smoother ride with the flies out. But this is all subjective.
MastrUsr wrote:
Mich69 wrote: It is a clear metalish rasping sound. You can hear the camshaft hammering the valves down. Best experienced between 3000 and 3500 rpm in my case. Outside this zone, the motor is purring like a kitten compared to the noise.

I will try it, for sure! Just have to finish the house to get some more time :s
Will remove the flies and do the tuneECU and all :)

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm

Post by Magic Wand » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Winterwolf wrote: .... Think I like my engine braking to much to lose the flies out. ....
Does the second flies decrease the engine braking? I took the flies out and cant notice any decrease in enginge braking.

/M

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex

Post by jhalfhide » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:23 am

Magic Wand wrote:
Winterwolf wrote: .... Think I like my engine braking to much to lose the flies out. ....
Does the second flies decrease the engine braking? I took the flies out and cant notice any decrease in enginge braking.

/M
It was one of the things I noticed straight away. I prefer it as I'm now able go in much quicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Winterwolf
250cc
250cc
City: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Post by Winterwolf » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:55 pm

Took it down to JD this morning... Mid and high level fueling was actually pretty good already, no change needed. However low end needed some work.

Now pulls a lot smoother at bottom Rev range so a happy bunny.

Think it was running one of Kevs maps, not sure which one originally.

I did chat to a guy with a 57 adventure and his fuelling was truly shocking, I took it for a spin and random flat spot right through the range , running so lean that the dyno to start with didn't register any air fuel mix at all!

If your on here, hope you got it sorted in the end mate.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cwhizz
50cc
50cc
City: Aberdeen
Colour: Silver

Post by Cwhizz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Firstly, am new to the forum and wanted to say great work by all to make this such a useful resource. Hopefully someone can help answer a couple of questions. (I have read all posts on this thread, but can't find/don't remember answers.)

OK. My bike is 2010 990 SMT, Akrapovic slip ons, standard airbox with K&N filter, snorkel installed, airbox crank breather inlet blocked (pipe re-routed with mini fliter), second flies removed and turned off (shafts still in), rear standard stack front RC8 stack, SAS removed and turned off, O2 sensors unplugged and turned off, EPC turned off.

Original map that was on the bike before I remapped was the KTM626EU1180231 (2011 990 SMT with Acrapovic slip on as per TuneECU site). Found this was ‘choppy’ at low rpm and off/on throttle low down.

Downloaded and installed map No.9 Kev STD Air Box RC8 FINAL 19.8.12.hex. Added 2% fuel from 1800-10000 rpm from 2-100% throttle. Really smooth and pulls cleanly from 2,500rpm. A pleasure to ride!

Q1. When I looked at the F1 table I couldn’t see any difference in the values on Kev’s map (before fuel adjustment) to the F1 table on the original map. Also on the Map Edit page, the Map number in the ECU Infos box is still saying KTM626EU1180231. Makes me think I haven’t installed any map at all!
FYI the info bar at the bottom of the page (with the battery voltage) shows “…Desktop\9. Kev STD Air Box RC8 FINAL 19.8.12 .hex” which is the location of the new map on the computer I loaded it from. Should it still read the same map number in the ECU Infos box?

Q2. Does anyone know (Kev?) what differences, in simple terms, there are between these two maps.

Q3. At idle (1,400rpm) Cyl 1 pressure @364 hpa and Cyl 2 @395 hpa. Do I need to adjust this so they are balanced or is this acceptable due to the different stacks?

Am fairly new to this remap game, so any help with above appreciated.

Lastly, I realise a custom map is the best way forward, so can anyone recommend a good dyno tuner in Scotland. Am based in Aberdeen, but can obviously travel south if need be..

Cheers!!
KTM 990 SMT 2010
Ducati 1198 S
"No-one has ever laid on their death bed and wished they'd spent more time in the office!"

Tommy
125cc
125cc

Post by Tommy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:42 pm

Cwhizz wrote: Q1. When I looked at the F1 table I couldn’t see any difference in the values on Kev’s map (before fuel adjustment) to the F1 table on the original map. Also on the Map Edit page, the Map number in the ECU Infos box is still saying KTM626EU1180231. Makes me think I haven’t installed any map at all!
FYI the info bar at the bottom of the page (with the battery voltage) shows “…Desktop\9. Kev STD Air Box RC8 FINAL 19.8.12 .hex” which is the location of the new map on the computer I loaded it from. Should it still read the same map number in the ECU Infos box?
You must have done something wrong when comparing the maps. You should first open map 9 and then go to File - Compare file, and load the Akra map. Then when you press F6, Tuneecu switches between the two maps. If you want to see the difference in percentage for a certain throttle position, you can right click on the column header you are interested in. In this picture I am looking at 80% throttle position. Solid line is map 9. Dotted line is the Akra map.
Cwhizz wrote: Q2. Does anyone know (Kev?) what differences, in simple terms, there are between these two maps.
Comparing the two maps it looks like the Kevs map is leaner at low throttle positions + low RPM. Richer at low throttle positions + high RPM. At higher throttle positions Kevs map is quite choppy, so it is a mix of leaner and richer depending on RPM.

F-L switch map is also different. Akra map is using both the F and the L maps while Kevs map is only using the F maps.
Cwhizz wrote: Q3. At idle (1,400rpm) Cyl 1 pressure @364 hpa and Cyl 2 @395 hpa. Do I need to adjust this so they are balanced or is this acceptable due to the different stacks?
How I understand it you should still have balanced pressure even if you are using different stacks. I noticed a big change in lambda when balancing mine. It would be interesting to know if someone else have noticed the same.I can imagine it is quite difficult to balance the throttle bodies with stock air box.

Tommy
125cc
125cc

Post by Tommy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Mich69 wrote: Yes it is. Get those flies in if you cannot bear the noise!
Only thing stopping me is I am finally (almost) finished with tuning my map and I don't want to start over.
MastrUsr wrote: Could anyone try to describe the noise? :)
This is what it sounds like. There is a lot of wind noise in this video. Should have used the Gopro. It is worse on higher gears because then you have bigger throttle openings. I recorded that too but all you could hear was wind noise.
https://youtu.be/F4XtE4o00xI

MastrUsr
125cc
125cc

Post by MastrUsr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:04 am

Tommy wrote:
Mich69 wrote: Yes it is. Get those flies in if you cannot bear the noise!
Only thing stopping me is I am finally (almost) finished with tuning my map and I don't want to start over.
MastrUsr wrote: Could anyone try to describe the noise? :)
This is what it sounds like. There is a lot of wind noise in this video. Should have used the Gopro. It is worse on higher gears because then you have bigger throttle openings. I recorded that too but all you could hear was wind noise.
https://youtu.be/F4XtE4o00xI
Thanks! :)
I see you ride without a screen, I do too. So much better. Shame it ruins the looks :(

Mich69
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Mich69 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:57 am

How I understand it you should still have balanced pressure even if you are using different stacks. I noticed a big change in lambda when balancing mine. It would be interesting to know if someone else have noticed the same.I can imagine it is quite difficult to balance the throttle bodies with stock air box.[/quote]

Hi all, I recently synchronized my throttle bodies after TuneECU showed they were off quite a lot.
I am using a stock air box btw.
If you are not to hard on yourself it is not difficult :)

For the well willing amateurs just like me, I have made a video about how to sync the throttle bodies.

https://youtu.be/P9eVwmslnVo

Tommy
125cc
125cc

Post by Tommy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:22 pm

MastrUsr wrote: I see you ride without a screen, I do too. So much better. Shame it ruins the looks :(
Yes, seems to be the only way to get rid of the wind noise. I first bought a Windjammer https://www.amazon.com/WINDJAMMER-REDUC ... B003FHLNVK
but that didn't help much. I then bought a Schubert C3 which is supposed to be quietest helmet available. That didn't help much either. I finally removed the windscreen and what a difference! But it is true. It ruins the look a bit.