990 Power Commander 5 & Tune ECU custom maps

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
Tommy
125cc
125cc
City: Vasa
Year: 2009
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: 990 Power Commander 5 & Tune ECU custom maps

Post by Tommy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Mich69 wrote: For the well willing amateurs just like me, I have made a video about how to sync the throttle bodies.

https://youtu.be/P9eVwmslnVo
Nice video. Did you check the pressure in tuneecu after syncing? Equal readings on both cylinders?

The sensors connected with hoses to the throttle bodies are the Manifold Air Pressure sensors. The temperature sensor is the one on top of the air filter box.

Tommy
125cc
125cc

Post by Tommy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:48 pm

Thought I would share the map I have made based on Tuneecu map #20, made by Kev. I have made it by logging when riding and based on the data recorded, changed the maps accordingly. The aim have been lambda 14,2 when cruising (throttle position 2-10%) and lambda 12,8 at bigger throttle openings.

The focus have been on the smaller throttle positions because getting the full RPM register at full throttle with a decent amount of readings on the road is a bit risky. ;)
I have also noticed that it is the smaller throttle positions that need bigger corrections.

I am now on the seventh map but I still have some tuning to do. At the moment lambda is between 14 and 14,6 when cruising. I haven't noticed any downsides compared to Kevs map going this lean, so I am thinking of going even leaner. If I remember correctly map #20 was made with Autotune set to lambda 13,2 at all throttle positions.

One thing I noticed in Kevs map is that some of the throttle position curves are quite choppy. Especially the curve for 15% throttle position. This could be seen in the graph when logging as well. Lamda at 4000rpm is way too low.

Dotted line is map #20. Solid line is my map:

With my map. Now seems to be a bit rich at 4500rpm:

My setup is:
Standard Stack rear cylinder, RC8 Stack front cylinder
ITG filter
Wings cans with quietest baffles installed
2nd flies removed
SAS removed
O2 sensors disabled

If there are others with the same setup it would be interesting to hear how this map works on your bike.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43jndk5giyoze ... 7.hex?dl=0

Use it on your own risk :D

Mich69
Supporter
Supporter
City: Amsterdam
Year: 2012
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Post by Mich69 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:05 pm

Tommy wrote:
Mich69 wrote: For the well willing amateurs just like me, I have made a video about how to sync the throttle bodies.

https://youtu.be/P9eVwmslnVo
Nice video. Did you check the pressure in tuneecu after syncing? Equal readings on both cylinders?

The sensors connected with hoses to the throttle bodies are the Manifold Air Pressure sensors. The temperature sensor is the one on top of the air filter box.
When time permits will do. I am quite sure they are well balanced now, it is noticeable when driving. The engine runs nicer than before, easier at lower revs.

What is that thingy on your handlebar to measure the A/F ratio and such? Datalogger?

Tommy
125cc
125cc

Post by Tommy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:56 pm

Mich69 wrote: When time permits will do. I am quite sure they are well balanced now, it is noticeable when driving. The engine runs nicer than before, easier at lower revs.
Exactly what I experienced when balancing mine.
Mich69 wrote: What is that thingy on your handlebar to measure the A/F ratio and such? Datalogger?
Yes, I made an Arduino based datalogger viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8820

Rhadeus
50cc
50cc
City: Castellon
Colour: White

Post by Rhadeus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Hello friends, greetings from Spain. This is the first time I post but I follow you a long time ago. I have owned a 990 SMR since October 2016.

I have made several mods following the book of Kevx:

2nd flies removed.
SAS removed and off
EPC off
O2 off
Filter KN and filter KN fitted on top cover, snorkel removed.
Double fan in the radiator (here almost obligatory)

I have tried several maps but they were very rich for me (# 11, # 18, # 20) the only one I really liked is # 9 +1 fuel. I've also tried the front stack RC8 but I lose a lot in the middle range, I like more with oem stacks.

Which map do you recommend me? Maybe the # 2 or # 10?

I am also thinking of mounting an ITG filter with Gefr's base plate. In addition to increasing the air flow also to better refrigerate the engine.

bigred
Supporter
Supporter
City: Melbourne
Year: 2013

Post by bigred » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:16 am

Rhadeus wrote:Hello friends, greetings from Spain. This is the first time I post but I follow you a long time ago. I have owned a 990 SMR since October 2016.

2nd flies removed.
SAS removed and off
EPC off
O2 off

I have tried several maps but they were very rich for me (# 11, # 18, # 20) the only one I really liked is # 9 +1 fuel. I've also tried the front stack RC8 but I lose a lot in the middle range, I like more with oem stacks.

I am also thinking of mounting an ITG filter with Gefr's base plate. In addition to increasing the air flow also to better refrigerate the engine.
Welcome Rhadeus!

The ITG filter made the world of difference to my bike, I would recommend doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - HST

Rhadeus
50cc
50cc
City: Castellon

Post by Rhadeus » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:44 pm

bigred wrote:
Rhadeus wrote:Hello friends, greetings from Spain. This is the first time I post but I follow you a long time ago. I have owned a 990 SMR since October 2016.

2nd flies removed.
SAS removed and off
EPC off
O2 off

Welcome Rhadeus!

The ITG filter made the world of difference to my bike, I would recommend doing it.

Today I ordered the ITG filter and the base plate to George :D

What map do you have loaded?

Alexx
125cc
125cc
City: Sipoo
Year: 2010

Post by Alexx » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:31 pm

What would you guys prefer before getting my smr dyno'd and tuned, changing both stacks to the rc8 ones OR just the for front cylinder. I have the rottweiler intake with secondary flies out.
KTM 990 SMR - 10
KTM 950 SMR - 08

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex

Post by jhalfhide » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Alexx wrote:What would you guys prefer before getting my smr dyno'd and tuned, changing both stacks to the rc8 ones OR just the for front cylinder. I have the rottweiler intake with secondary flies out.
Depends on wether you want more top end or more mid range torque. Rc8 stacks give top end whereas oem ones give torque. 1 of each gives the best of both worlds.

Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Alexx
125cc
125cc

Post by Alexx » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:27 am

jhalfhide wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:04 pm
Alexx wrote:What would you guys prefer before getting my smr dyno'd and tuned, changing both stacks to the rc8 ones OR just the for front cylinder. I have the rottweiler intake with secondary flies out.
Depends on wether you want more top end or more mid range torque. Rc8 stacks give top end whereas oem ones give torque. 1 of each gives the best of both worlds.

Yeah that's what i'm going for now(short stack, long stack). Tomorrow we'll find out what the katoom will produce.
KTM 990 SMR - 10
KTM 950 SMR - 08

xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens

Post by xaotikos » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Good luck :)

Alexx
125cc
125cc

Post by Alexx » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:33 am

So, I just came back from the dyno, took about 3h to get it all sorted out. I had the #20map as a base and from there we started the modifying. Turned out that the #20 was very lean at lows and highs, the mid part was relatively okay. The dyno guru said that the bike really needed the fine tuning and i can say that i really feel the difference, the ride is silky smooth and instant power from the beginning to the end.
Here's what we got to: 121.6hp@ 9351rpm / 102.9Nm@ 6967rpm.
Attachments
dyno.jpg
KTM 990 SMR - 10
KTM 950 SMR - 08

nrvous
250cc
250cc
City: Tallinn
Year: 2018

Post by nrvous » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:53 am

Alexx wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:33 am
So, I just came back from the dyno, took about 3h to get it all sorted out. I had the #20map as a base and from there we started the modifying. Turned out that the #20 was very lean at lows and highs, the mid part was relatively okay. The dyno guru said that the bike really needed the fine tuning and i can say that i really feel the difference, the ride is silky smooth and instant power from the beginning to the end.
Not bad! This is my result:

ted99
250cc
250cc
City: san jose

Post by ted99 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:06 am

Hello everyone,

I have a 2010 990SMR. Installing an itg/rottweiler filter and removing sas system. Bike had Akro's when I bought it 2 years ago. I don't want to remove the secondary flies.

All tune ecu maps I have found have the secondary flies removed. Can you recommend a Tune ECU map for me? Pretty straightforward setup. Rottweiler and akros.

I'm in California.

Ted

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex

Post by jhalfhide » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:27 am

ted99 wrote:Hello everyone,

I have a 2010 990SMR. Installing an itg/rottweiler filter and removing sas system. Bike had Akro's when I bought it 2 years ago. I don't want to remove the secondary flies.

All tune ecu maps I have found have the secondary flies removed. Can you recommend a Tune ECU map for me? Pretty straightforward setup. Rottweiler and akros.

I'm in California.

Ted
Have you thought about just using a map that has them off, turn them back on & setting the secondary flies to 100% open?

I suppose that would be close enough as a starting point.

Love the bike by the way. I have a 2013 SMT and the 2010 SMR was the best bike I ever owned (stolen). I had the Akras too but didn't know about all of the airbox mods until this SMT. Image

Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

bigred
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bigred » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:44 am

Alexx wrote:So, I just came back from the dyno, took about 3h to get it all sorted out. I had the #20map as a base and from there we started the modifying. Turned out that the #20 was very lean at lows and highs, the mid part was relatively okay. The dyno guru said that the bike really needed the fine tuning and i can say that i really feel the difference, the ride is silky smooth and instant power from the beginning to the end.
Very nice. Fancy sharing the map? Image

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:15 am

As mentioned on the first page of this thread if your in Europe or USA you will need to richen up my maps, you guys run different fuel blends to what we run here in Australia & the fuels burn at different rates hence the different AFR's.

Every custom Dyno map that I have tested from the USA & Europe here in Australia are too rich on our fuels & have to lean them out, that is why I always recommend a custom map build on your fuels & conditions.

bigred
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bigred » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 am

kevxtx wrote:As mention on the first page of this thread if your in Europe or USA you will need to richen up my maps you guys run different fuel blends to what we run here in Australia.

Every custom Dyno map that I have tested from the USA & Europe here in Australia are too rich on our fuels & have to lean them out, that is why I always recommend a custom map build on your fuels & conditions.
Thanks Kev.
I'm contemplating getting a custom tune for mine, does anyone know a good Dyno tuner in Melbourne? I'm thinking cost about $500, is that in the ball park?

ted99
250cc
250cc
City: san jose

Post by ted99 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 pm

jhalfhide wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:27 am
ted99 wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm in California.

Ted
Have you thought about just using a map that has them off, turn them back on & setting the secondary flies to 100% open?

I suppose that would be close enough as a starting point.

Love the bike by the way. I have a 2013 SMT and the 2010 SMR was the best bike I ever owned (stolen). I had the Akras too but didn't know about all of the airbox mods until this SMT. Image

Thanks for the reply. I did think about that, but i thought the secondary flies were part of the fuel mapping equation, but perhaps not. Once the cable arrives, i'll make note of their original settings and do what you suggest, and i'll be sure to richen the fuel, per kevin's reminder.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:51 pm

bigred wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 am
kevxtx wrote:As mention on the first page of this thread if your in Europe or USA you will need to richen up my maps you guys run different fuel blends to what we run here in Australia.

Thanks Kev.
I'm contemplating getting a custom tune for mine, does anyone know a good Dyno tuner in Melbourne? I'm thinking cost about $500, is that in the ball park?

A single map costs around $500, a map for each cylinder around $750 Oz $