KTM heated grips

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
alien
675cc
675cc
City: Bangor
Year: 2012

Re: KTM heated grips

Post by alien » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:02 am

You need to feed the wires for heated grips in from the other side along the main wiring loom.
"It is how we weather the storm that shows character and spirit. Enjoy the calm and show mastery in the circumstances of life "

Zombie Master
Supporter
Supporter
City: Victoria
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Zombie Master » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:19 pm

alien wrote:You need to feed the wires for heated grips in from the other side along the main wiring loom.
Are you saying I need to pull the fairing off to feed the wires through? :o

alien
675cc
675cc
City: Bangor

Post by alien » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:24 pm

No. If you look on the other side of the head stock you'll see were the main wiring loom goes into the fairing. There is the space to feed the wires through.

PM me your email and I'll send you a picture.
"It is how we weather the storm that shows character and spirit. Enjoy the calm and show mastery in the circumstances of life "

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver
Colour: White

Post by adcolor » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:31 pm

I took a round file and cut a 1/2 moon on the door, then routed it up the triple tree and over.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

Zombie Master
Supporter
Supporter
City: Victoria
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Zombie Master » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:15 am

alien wrote:No. If you look on the other side of the head stock you'll see were the main wiring loom goes into the fairing. There is the space to feed the wires through.

PM me your email and I'll send you a picture.
I can see that now. Thank you very much :D

Creamcycle
50cc
50cc
City: Calgary

Post by Creamcycle » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:32 pm

Can anyone tell me the part number for the 990 SMT heated grips? Dealer seems to be able to access the Adventure grips but don't know if they are the same as SMT...I have a 2012.

Thanks in advance!

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter

Post by adcolor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:42 am

Make sure it is this type (there is an older one that has a large rotary switch).
http://shop.ktm.com/us_en/heated-grips.html

They are the same across the KTM line.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

Creamcycle
50cc
50cc

Post by Creamcycle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks Adcolor...exactly what I thought but wanted to confirm. I appreciate your help!

Windblown
500cc
500cc
City: Woodstock, VA
Colour: Black

Post by Windblown » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Yup - 60112964044 is the part number I ordered for my '13 SM-T. I didn't want to say it was the correct part number for certain until I finished the install which I did earlier today.

Everything hooked up and works fine. Longest part was deciding exactly how I wanted to run the wires. Only mod I made was to shave off a small lip from the outside edge of the throttle tube so I wouldn't have a bump in the new grip (the new grips are longer than stock)

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter

Post by adcolor » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:03 am

The double back tape may not hold the controller on very long.
I ended up (due to a parts guy getting it wrong and telling me the current unit was discontinued)) with another brand obviously made by the same OEM. That controller could be screwed to the clamp. My original KTM unit failed in the on position (it was very toasty -- much warmer than the unit I replaced it with). Fortunately it was spring so not too bad.

On fail you might try using silicon or similar.

Windblown
500cc
500cc

Post by Windblown » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:08 am

adcolor wrote:The double back tape may not hold the controller on very long.... On fail you might try using silicon or similar.
Thanks for the tip! I have some marine grade silicone adhesive/sealant lying around that I'll try if the tape lets go.

Creamcycle
50cc
50cc

Post by Creamcycle » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:50 am

All right everything went in easily but when I hooked up the power I just get all lights flashing at once and no heat...seemed so simple. I checked ohms though both grips and they are good....now what have I done wrong?

Windblown
500cc
500cc

Post by Windblown » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:43 am

Creamcycle wrote:All right everything went in easily but when I hooked up the power I just get all lights flashing at once and no heat...seemed so simple. I checked ohms though both grips and they are good....now what have I done wrong?
Power leads to the controller reversed? I don't recall now which was 12+ and which was ground on the bike side but when I checked it with a multimeter as I was preparing to make the final connection I recall it not being as I expected.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:06 pm

I know, more than 4 year old thread, but still up and running :)

I'v bought KTM original heated grips.
Tried to install them, but just like 'Creamcycle' all 4 lamps at the dash/control unit flashes at the same time.
When pushing the orange button in for 3 seconds it stops flashing, but no heat is in the grips.
Trying to push the button once, to activate the first heat level, nothing happens...

Do I have to start the engine to make them activated/work properly?

I read that the black/red wire should be connected to the ACC2 behind the hatchet and so I did. But what about the black wire? There is a brown wire (I believe...), should the black one connect to that one? Yes, I tried that.
I can also confirm - it IS veeery narrow space inside there!

/M
-

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Post by Magic Wand » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:52 pm

Answering my own question:
I connected wrong wires... I was in a physical stress mode and didn't think of what I actually was doing...
So guys who are going to install heat grips - READ the instruction AND have a good look at the picture that shows how to connect everything!!!

The heat grips works as expected now ;-)

/M
-