KTM heated grips

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
alien
675cc
675cc
City: Bangor
Year: 2012

KTM heated grips

Post by alien » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:51 pm

Just purchased a set of the new KTM heated grips.
According to the instructions the wiring is in place behind the dash.

My question is to get behind the dash how much of the body work do you have to remove?
"It is how we weather the storm that shows character and spirit. Enjoy the calm and show mastery in the circumstances of life "

swen990
250cc
250cc
City: Seattle WA
Year: 2010

Re: KTM heated grips

Post by swen990 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:28 pm

You do not have to remove any bodywork to get to the electrical connections at the steering head. On the right side of the head itself is a removable panel, the wiring harness is right inside. There is a switched power connection perfect for heated grips, (so they don't get left on and drain the battery).

There should be a post somewhere on the site with pictures!

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Post by ogden » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:01 pm

It's just behind the headlight, on the right hand side of the plastics over the headstock.

You don't even need a screwdriver to get in there, it's just a plastic clip.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

alien
675cc
675cc

Post by alien » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:49 pm

3 hours of my life I wont get back :cry:

Decided to fit heated grips today.

Everything went well. Grips fitted, switch in place. all done in 30 minutes :)
Then it just went to hell. Couldn’t find acc2 wiring. both side panels off. still no sign :?
Remove clocks surround and there they were sitting between clocks and headlight.
Looks like they got caught up when bike was being built.

On the up side the grips work :)
"It is how we weather the storm that shows character and spirit. Enjoy the calm and show mastery in the circumstances of life "

ultrachrome
675cc
675cc
City: Seattle
Colour: White

Post by ultrachrome » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Think of that time as an orientation to your bike. It's not a bad thing to know what's underneath.

ogden

Post by ogden » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:49 am

ultrachrome wrote:Think of that time as an orientation to your bike. It's not a bad thing to know what's underneath.
So long as it's tarmac and not sky, I'm not happy.
ogden

r0bb0mc
500cc
500cc
City: Melbourne
Model: SMT

Post by r0bb0mc » Wed May 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Just bought the KTM heated grips to fit to my SMT and will fit them on the weekend. I didn't receive any instructions with the kit. Any chance of some pics of the instructions..?

alien
675cc
675cc

Post by alien » Wed May 30, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi

Have instructions as pdf file. pm me email address and i'll forward them. cannot post pdf on forum.

r0bb0mc
500cc
500cc

Post by r0bb0mc » Thu May 31, 2012 12:42 am

Thanks Alien. The PDF prints out great and will make the job a bit easier for me. Appreciate your help. Rob

r0bb0mc
500cc
500cc

Post by r0bb0mc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:55 am

I fitted the KTM heated Grips on the weekend. The instructions had been removed from the kit (the box had been opened before I picked it up from Canberra MCC). Thanks again to Alien for emailing me a pdf of the instructions.

When connecting the wiring, I had a few problems locating the ACC2 connector (some others seem to have same problem). After some time, I found that it had been cable tied to the top of the main wiring loom. The main loom high in the cavity and could not see the top it. My bike is a 2012 vintage, so maybe this is common for the newer bikes. I thought I would attached a pic and hope it helps others in future..

As many have said previously in the various forums about the ACC2 wire, if you having problems locating it, persist..it's in there.

And the heated grips work great. :-)
Attachments
IMG_1363.JPG
ACC2 cable tied to top of Main Loom

Spoky0
50cc
50cc
City: Chichester

Post by Spoky0 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Just had some heated grips fitted to my 990smr by a ktm shop as it was part of the deal, they were meant to be ktm, but the shop said daytona ones they fitted were the same. They have 2 settings start and on, I've been told the latest ones have 4 setting. Also on returning home I noticed the bar end weight was crooked so i loosened the allen key only to discover the grips were longer than the throttle body meaning the bar end weight wouldn't go all the way into the handlebars, about 20mm over sail, this doesn't seem right surely ktm grips would be the correct length for the throttle grip?
Bit of a shoddy job all round really, throttle cable left with loads of play in it or stretched! Bolt on controller bracket left poking upwards with about 25mm of thread showing! Should of done job myself I think. Any body else have ktm heated grips with bar end weights, how do they fit on yours? :?

ogden

Post by ogden » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:24 pm

The old KTM grips were Daytona ones. The new ones (since the start of this year) aren't.
ogden

Rasher
500cc
500cc
City: Margate

Post by Rasher » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:54 pm

Spoky0 wrote:Just had some heated grips fitted to my 990smr by a ktm shop as it was part of the deal, they were meant to be ktm, but the shop said daytona ones they fitted were the same. They have 2 settings start and on, I've been told the latest ones have 4 setting. Also on returning home I noticed the bar end weight was crooked so i loosened the allen key only to discover the grips were longer than the throttle body meaning the bar end weight wouldn't go all the way into the handlebars, about 20mm over sail, this doesn't seem right surely ktm grips would be the correct length for the throttle grip?
Bit of a shoddy job all round really, throttle cable left with loads of play in it or stretched! Bolt on controller bracket left poking upwards with about 25mm of thread showing! Should of done job myself I think. Any body else have ktm heated grips with bar end weights, how do they fit on yours? :?
I bought grips from R&G at the NEC show, they were alot longer aswell. I contacted my KTM dealer and asked them to measure the KTM grips they had on the shelf and they were exactly the same length as the R&G ones. If they were shorter I would have bought them but as they were the same I thought I would endeavour to make them fit.
The left hand grip went on 1st no problem because it just fits on the plain bar. Once on I realised how much better it feels, your hand has more room on the grip and the standard grips then feel very restrictive. Now the more difficult side, the throttle grip. After you have removed the original grip you will notice a plastic collar close to the controls on the rotator that supports and provides a stop for the grip. I carefully cut this off [after removing the rotator from the handle bar] with a Stanley knife as the new grip does not fit this as it is solid on the inside rubber collar. Once off the grip has more room to slide on, but be aware if you use grip glue don't put too much on that it could go on to the controls. when you slide it on put some form of temporary sleeve against your controls about 2mm thick, this will prevent you pushing the grip on too far so that there is no contact from your new grips and the controls. You may still have to leave your bar ends sticking out a bit from the ends of your bars [about 2mm]but no where near as much as what your dealer left you with [if I remember, I think I gained about 12mm by this mod]. It is a well worth while mod because the grips as I have said are a far better size and much more comfortable that the original grips.
By the way if you decide you need to tighten your throttle cable because they have left too much play in them, they must be adjusted with the KTM diagnostic tool connected or use the program in Tuneecu if you have it available to you.
I hope that helps.

Spoky0
50cc
50cc
City: Chichester

Post by Spoky0 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Thanks for that, but my throttle rotator is aluminum as i have the ktm throttle tamer fitted so it will take a bit more to remove the shoulder. I would rather had the proper thing fitted from day 1 as you would expect from a main dealer. Will take bike to my local ktm dealer to redo throttle where i know they will do a proper job rather than the last lot of chancers.

Rasher
500cc
500cc
City: Margate

Post by Rasher » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Spokey0, good luck with that, they should be able to do a better job, just needs a bit of care and attention. By the way, If I remember correctly, when I asked my dealer to measure the KTM heated grips they had on display, I think he did mention that they were made by Daytona.

PDavo
900cc
900cc
City: Barnstaple
Year: 2010
Colour: Silver

Post by PDavo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:18 am

Used KTM heated grips for almost 18 months and only issue was shop who fitted them (Albion Motorcycles Exeter) never put enough glue on left grip with came lose.
Old enough to know better but wtf

2010 KTM SM-T (now matt black), Silver 2006 BMW K1200r

Zombie Master
Supporter
Supporter
City: Victoria
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Zombie Master » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:28 am

Can anybody tell me where where the accessory plugs are? There two covers on the frame on the right side near the steering head. Once cover screws into a similar cover on the other side of the frame. Dealer here has no clue and the photo with the instructions is useless. :?

Zombie Master
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Zombie Master » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:52 am

Well I found out how to access the accessory connections. If they had just described there was a door and located it with a picture I would have not wasted so much time. I'm pretty disgusted with the lack of decent information or pictures for installing accessories. Now I'm having a problem with installing one of the screw and collar that bolts the faring to the gas tank. It seems to have been manufactured wrong. I can thread the bolt in to the tank directly but with the collar on, going through the fairing it just dead stops before it threads all the way in. Never had it off before. Not a good time. As much fun as the bike it to ride, if I can't find information about service and maintenance it ruins the experience.

alien
675cc
675cc

Post by alien » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:50 am

Bolts and collar are a bit of a pain. Unless everything lines up perfectly the bolt will not fit properly. I had the same problem when putting mine back together!

Zombie Master
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Zombie Master » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:12 am

So now that I have found the the accessory leads; how did you route the wires, through the plastic cover or did you drill a hole in the harness shield? :ugeek: