Kev's SMR Modification list.

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
Gula
125cc
125cc
City: Fairfield
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: Kev's SMR Modification list.

Post by Gula » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi

Got a 2010 SMR brand new last year for a good deal, laid it down in Feb and just fixed it about a month ago. While I was werking on it I added Leo Vince slipons, SAS removal, block off plates, CPR Rottweiler air cleaner, RC8 stacks, PCV, and Autotune. Already had G2 tamer cam. Non perf mod I did was SMT tank/spoilers and vinyl wrap the rest of the white in satin black.

Problem one: I just blew a rear valve cover gasket out and got sprayed with oil. ( my noob ass has overfilled the oil) but before mods I did not have any problems. I may have installed the valve in airbox upside down so I unhooked it for now and am about to install a K&N breather filter. I hope this and keeping the oil at proper level will remediate this. Any come t's appreciated

Second issue: at 2900-3500 RPM in 1st gear I can hear the secondary valves opening (click then a whine) and the bike runs like turd. Also in any other gear it pops a lot (backfire) and runs like shit too at said RPM.

I have enabled Autotune in PCV and uploaded map5 I think but bike does not seem to run better than without mods.

I plan on purchasing tuneecu and a 16t sprocket then un checking SAS and leaving secondary flies at 100% and removing shafts in hopes this bike will smooth out and give me a bit bigger grin

Crap should have thought of all the questions I had before posting but here's another two

Battery died after bike was not run for a week, charged it with a battery tender. After I unhooked charger battery voltage rose to an astounding 16.6v according to my $80 craftsman multimeter. WTF

Also sometimes bike won't start I get 9 FI flashes if I cycle the ignition a few times no flashes and bike starts, when flashing it won't at all. WTF

Anyone installed a GiPro Xtype gear indicator on theirs? Mine won't go out of slow flash mode and into learn mode. Been wanting a shift light and this has one so I bought and installed according to instructions

Also what are you guys using to plug the hole after butterfly removal?

I thought of using a 2 part epoxy but am afraid that the constant heat cycling and vibrations the motor puts out it may crack or shatter the epoxy.

downunder
Supporter
Supporter
City: Mount Gambier
Year: 2014

Post by downunder » Wed May 01, 2013 2:25 am

New at this; not up with forum etiquette etc, I think I am in the right section but have probably interrupted a thread. Also apologies in advance for the long post.
I recently purchased an 8,000km 2010 SMT. I think only mod is Akra pipes and map from new at KTM dealer in South Australia. I picked it up from that dealer (450km from my home) as I had it dropped there by the previous owner to have the 7,500km service done. It was a Saturday morning and everyone was busy making commissions so no-one could spare 5 minutes for a chat. They readily took money for the service and a new helmet but. Then proceeded to tell me to turn BOTH fuel taps off before I trailer it home...said it was handy as you can use half the tank as a reserve!! Needless to say spent 5 minutes looking for taps.
I Have since given up on them...there is a KTM V-twin service centre 200km away in Victoria I will use.
Luckily I found this forum, where I can actually learn something and people seem tolerant of stupid questions. I want to do some of the mods in Kev's book, but do not want to pull the bike apart 10 times (limited mechanical ability, would rather ride the thing). It is doing my head in reading through posts from the last 3-4 years trying to sort it out. I would like to order parts, pull bike down once during winter and put it back together. No need to do one thing at a time and check results if it has been done ad nauseum by plenty of other people? Re-inventing the wheel. How does this sound:

Throttle tamer and 16T front sprocket
Make Tune ECU cable and install Tune ECU on PC. (Possible to buy cable already made?)
Something about headlight fuse and "15 minute idle thing" comes into play?
When I plug it in it should tell me I am running the Akra map if the dealer did it, yes?
Turn of O2 sensor, see if dealer turned off SAS system. I can see the SAS hardware is still in place; remove it (where can I get block off plates?)
Buy and fit after market air box (using lower half of factory box...sounds easier)
At this point should still be OK to ride the bike with Akra map?

I am not keen on removing 2nd flies myself (pictures in Kev's book look scary). There is supposedly a good tuner with dyno 120km away; considering getting him to remove flies then re-map it on dyno. Will I then be able to see the new map on Tune ECU? I assume he would be using a more advanced program.
Then leave it alone and ride it until 15,000km service and take it to the dealer 200km away.
Simple.....what could possibly go wrong?? :shock:
Gone but not forgotten: '74 Honda XL100, '75 Suzi TS100, '76 Suzi T500, '78 Yam XT500, '80 Suzi GSX1100ET, '81 Suzi GSX100EX, '84 Honda VF1000R, '99 Honda CBR900RR, '10 KTM 990SMT

Mikeylikesit
675cc
675cc
City: Victoria
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by Mikeylikesit » Wed May 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Gula wrote: Anyone installed a GiPro Xtype gear indicator on theirs? Mine won't go out of slow flash mode and into learn mode. Been wanting a shift light and this has one so I bought and installed according to instructions
what year is your smt? the gipro has a 4 wire version for smt with abs. no abs has 3 wires.
For 2011-2013 with abs you can find the necessary signal wires behind the dash at the multipin connector:speed signal: GIpro white->orange/blackrpm/tacho signal: GIpro green ->white/blue+/- supply GIpro red and black: to the ACC2 connectorsregards.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Wed May 01, 2013 10:39 pm

Gula wrote:Hi

Got a 2010 SMR brand new last year for a good deal, laid it down in Feb and just fixed it about a month ago. While I was werking on it I added Leo Vince slipons, SAS removal, block off plates, CPR Rottweiler air cleaner, RC8 stacks, PCV, and Autotune. Already had G2 tamer cam. Non perf mod I did was SMT tank/spoilers and vinyl wrap the rest of the white in satin black.

Problem one: I just blew a rear valve cover gasket out and got sprayed with oil. ( my noob ass has overfilled the oil) but before mods I did not have any problems. I may have installed the valve in airbox upside down so I unhooked it for now and am about to install a K&N breather filter. I hope this and keeping the oil at proper level will remediate this. Any come t's appreciated

Second issue: at 2900-3500 RPM in 1st gear I can hear the secondary valves opening (click then a whine) and the bike runs like turd. Also in any other gear it pops a lot (backfire) and runs like shit too at said RPM.

I have enabled Autotune in PCV and uploaded map5 I think but bike does not seem to run better than without mods.

I plan on purchasing tuneecu and a 16t sprocket then un checking SAS and leaving secondary flies at 100% and removing shafts in hopes this bike will smooth out and give me a bit bigger grin
I have cleaned up your posts for you, you can always edit your post & add stuff at a later point.

The search button is a great tool have a look at the 2nd throttle removal procedure or download my mod book it is all in there.

What have you set your Auto Tune to trim to on both cylinders? Make sure you have the latest firmware in you PCV if you are using a PCV. I would load a decent base HEX map that match's your mods & then start trimming that map to suit your bike.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Wed May 01, 2013 10:50 pm

downunder wrote:New at this; not up with forum etiquette etc, I think I am in the right section but have probably interrupted a thread. Also apologies in advance for the long post.
I recently purchased an 8,000km 2010 SMT. I think only mod is Akra pipes and map from new at KTM dealer in South Australia. I picked it up from that dealer (450km from my home) as I had it dropped there by the previous owner to have the 7,500km service done. It was a Saturday morning and everyone was busy making commissions so no-one could spare 5 minutes for a chat. They readily took money for the service and a new helmet but. Then proceeded to tell me to turn BOTH fuel taps off before I trailer it home...said it was handy as you can use half the tank as a reserve!! Needless to say spent 5 minutes looking for taps.
I Have since given up on them...there is a KTM V-twin service centre 200km away in Victoria I will use.
Luckily I found this forum, where I can actually learn something and people seem tolerant of stupid questions. I want to do some of the mods in Kev's book, but do not want to pull the bike apart 10 times (limited mechanical ability, would rather ride the thing). It is doing my head in reading through posts from the last 3-4 years trying to sort it out. I would like to order parts, pull bike down once during winter and put it back together. No need to do one thing at a time and check results if it has been done ad nauseum by plenty of other people? Re-inventing the wheel. How does this sound:

Throttle tamer and 16T front sprocket
Make Tune ECU cable and install Tune ECU on PC. (Possible to buy cable already made?)
Something about headlight fuse and "15 minute idle thing" comes into play?
When I plug it in it should tell me I am running the Akra map if the dealer did it, yes?
Turn of O2 sensor, see if dealer turned off SAS system. I can see the SAS hardware is still in place; remove it (where can I get block off plates?)
Buy and fit after market air box (using lower half of factory box...sounds easier)
At this point should still be OK to ride the bike with Akra map?

I am not keen on removing 2nd flies myself (pictures in Kev's book look scary). There is supposedly a good tuner with dyno 120km away; considering getting him to remove flies then re-map it on dyno. Will I then be able to see the new map on Tune ECU? I assume he would be using a more advanced program.
Then leave it alone and ride it until 15,000km service and take it to the dealer 200km away.
Simple.....what could possibly go wrong?? :shock:
The Akra map is not suited for our Ozzy fuels the map is way to rich & your bike will drink fuel using it, I would load a map from the forums map section one built for our fuels.

These KTM service guys must be joking leave both fuel taps open all the time.

Mod your bike at your own pace no pressure from anyone here, I have written these mod books on a few forums so all the info is in one place, edition 2 of the mod book will be out soon with more in-depth tuning procedures + a few additional mods. First thing I would do is buy yourself a Tune ECU cable off EBay & load an Ozzy HEX map, then you will feel how your bike should run. Just remove the 2nd fly plates not the shafts it will take you 1 min a side when the air box is open.

birdman
125cc
125cc
City: Sydney
Colour: Silver

Post by birdman » Thu May 02, 2013 11:04 am

Ok that explains why after my first service one of my fuel taps was turned off as well. I thought they just forgot to turn it back on. Must be some KTM thing, I was wondering why I was running out of fuel so early, until I changed the filter and found the tap was off. Dump idea to turn it off and not say anything. I prefer both taps on to balance out the tank and keep the fuel fresh on refills. The taps are down near the radiator, the tank is quite low. They are circular knobs not like the typical dirt bike fuel tap.

downunder
Supporter
Supporter

Post by downunder » Sat May 04, 2013 7:38 am

I have ordered plenty of kit to get stuck in to the mods; when ECU cable gets here next week I will have a look at what map is actually loaded on this bike. Supposedly Akra map from new with the Akra pipes. I am sure that nothing is turned off...heaps of burbling and farting when backing off, and terrible under 3000rpm.
In the mean time, with cold starts it usually takes 4-6 goes to fire up. Noticing it more now as we are having a cold spell (can't all live in Brisvegas). Bit frustrating as no good touching throttle to help it? Wouldn't help it like a carby engine anyway, coughs and stops immediately. It is fine once it fires and choke cuts in (or whatever FI does) then starts first time thereafter (not cold). I am hoping it is just the poor tuning; sound normal? Previous owner didn't mention it, and I picked it up from the dealer after it had been running.
Probably won't ride it much til ECU cable arrives in a few days. Will remove 2nd flies, have ordered 16T, G2 throttle, DNA Mk3, RC8 stacks, SAS block off plates, and SMR heat shield kit 8-) . There goes a Saturday and a box of beer!!
Gone but not forgotten: '74 Honda XL100, '75 Suzi TS100, '76 Suzi T500, '78 Yam XT500, '80 Suzi GSX1100ET, '81 Suzi GSX100EX, '84 Honda VF1000R, '99 Honda CBR900RR, '10 KTM 990SMT

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sat May 04, 2013 8:01 am

Nice one your mod list is growing.

Get rid of the Akra map it is no good mate, load a decent map & you will have a changed bike.

The Akra map is way to rich for our Ozzy fuels up to 7000rpm, the Akra individual tuned cylinder maps are out by quite a bit, the Akra map was great in the early days when we had no choice, these days we have maps that are far better tuned than the Akra map.

downunder
Supporter
Supporter

Post by downunder » Sat May 04, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks for the quick reply. So the cold starting(or lack of) is probably due to tuning? Coz it's fine once it warms up. Just used to having control of the choke (and 2 extra cylinders and carbies).

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sat May 04, 2013 8:37 am

Could well be.

Nickhk
500cc
500cc
City: Hong Kong
Year: 2009

Post by Nickhk » Sun May 05, 2013 9:18 am

... just a quick one - excuse the ignorance! Does fitting a 43 tooth rear sprocket require a longer chain? I think not but just want to be 100% sure :oops:

Cheers!

Nick

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sun May 05, 2013 9:26 am

Nick you can go up to a 44/17 with the STD chain, a 45/17 rear will require a longer chain, you will need to turn the axle alloy adjuster blocks 180 degrees with a 43 or 44T rear sprockets.

Nickhk
500cc
500cc

Post by Nickhk » Sun May 05, 2013 9:47 am

Kev.

Thanks - just thinking about that 43T rear sprocket change ...

Cheers.

Nick

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sun May 05, 2013 9:54 am

I am very happy with my 43T rear, I have ridden 1400kms in 7 days this past week, love this bike. :D

Gula
125cc
125cc
City: Fairfield
Colour: Black

Post by Gula » Sat May 11, 2013 3:41 am

Figured out the GiPro problem. Instructions are written wrong its the pink and white wire NOT white and blue

Replaced rear valve cover gasket and drained some oil, also installed a K&n breather and it works awesome.

Just waiting on tuneecu and the 16t sproket, also some bolts. Somehow I managed to lose a bolt that holds the oil pan and headder

Nickhk
500cc
500cc

Post by Nickhk » Sat May 11, 2013 11:30 am

kevxtx wrote:I am very happy with my 43T rear, I have ridden 1400kms in 7 days this past week, love this bike. :D
43T Talon rear ordered ... got a new standard front sprocket too (thought about the Talon but it's undamped, so went with the KTM, just in case) PLUS a new (standard length) DID gold & black chain, "just because" ! :D

Nick

MelbSMR990Justin
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne

Post by MelbSMR990Justin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:11 am

I have an 09 SMR 990 .. I want the rim decal tattoo sticker for it BAD! lol , looks really trick , but i have the non-5 spoke rims .. anyone know of an alternative ?
Also can anyone point to a website , ebay etc that is the best for buying powerparts , orange bits and pieces at non ktm genuine molesting prices ?

bradthelad3000
50cc
50cc
City: Singapore

Post by bradthelad3000 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Kev, any hot tips on the A/F gauge youve got on the dash. What brand did you go for, and how is it fitted please. An important diagnostic..cheers
2012 SMR - CPR Rottweiller Airbox, Throttle Tamer, gay deflector screen, Axio tail bag, hot singaporean chick riding pillion.

MelbSMR990Justin
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne

Post by MelbSMR990Justin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:30 am

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:18 am

bradthelad3000 wrote:Kev, any hot tips on the A/F gauge youve got on the dash. What brand did you go for, and how is it fitted please. An important diagnostic..cheers
I run a Dynojet Wideband commander 1, it has a built in data logger so you can save & read the whole recording log & can have as many loga as you want if I remember right it can recored for 2 hours of riding, in the log it can show RPM verse TPS verse A/F ratio in detail, you can data log at a click of a switch, very handy when looking for problem areas, also as you know can show real time A/F ratios.

http://www.widebandcommander.com/productinfo.htm