Chain guide questions

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
Zombie Master
Supporter
Supporter
City: Victoria
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Chain guide questions

Post by Zombie Master » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:10 am

2013 990 SMT

I've just pulled off my wheels for new tires.

I'm wondering how long SMT riders are getting out of the chain guide?

I'm also wondering if a new chain guide can be installed without pulling the swing arm?

There are three bolts holding the guide on:

One on the bottom, one on the top rear of the guide. And one on the top in the middle of the guide which on mine, seems to be missing. The missing one is called a "bush for the chain guide". I wonder if it was ever installed from the factory. I guess I should order one though, everything seems to be OK.

Any thoughts?

Thanx!!! :geek:

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Re: Chain guide questions

Post by Magic Wand » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi 'Zombie Master'.

Yes, if I remember correct it is possible to replace the old chainguide with a new one, when chain is still in place.
But I think you need to loosen the rear wheel axle (spindle?) nut, tighten the adjusters as far the go in and push the wheel forward as long as possible to get more freeplay on the chain. Move tha adjusting blocks out of the way, which make the wheel go even more forward.
Or loosen the rear axle nut and push the wheel forward and take the chain of the rear sprocket to make the chain 'free'.
Then it is very tricky to remove the old chain guide, especially if you don't take the front sprocket of. I believe it is impossible. It is so narrow space there.

About the screw and washer that is missing on your bike, I can tell you what my experience about that is:
The material in the swinging arm is so very thin, and the threads in it is only a few, thus the screw can't be tighten almost nothing! Otherwise it will brake the threads. The effect will be that the screw come loose and in some way fall of.
I believe some guys put threadlock on the threads on the screw.
I did something other; I simply skipped to put a new screw in there. Instead I put a piece of electrical tape upon the hole on the swinging arm and used silicone to fasten it, and used silicone to fill the hole in the chainguide. The silicone also attaches to the swinging arm and the chain guide and hold them together.
Works perfectly.
(Have no picture of it...)

/M

Zombie Master
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Zombie Master » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:51 am

Great info Wand! I ordered a screw and "bush". I'll see what it looks like. Much appreciated. I love my SMT but there are very few of us around, so this forum is very valuable. :)

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:57 am

OK, mount the new screw and bush, and keep an eye on it regularely!

I might been thinking a bit off yesterday. I believe you have loosen and demount the front sprocket to get it out of the way to remove the old chain guide and mount the new one.

I bought my 2010 in 2015 with 17090 km on the clocks, and has now 57000 km.
Me also found this frum to be of great value with a lot of experienced people!
:D

/M

Zombie Master
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Zombie Master » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:17 am

Got the screw and bush. They charged me $10. for what is a washer! Anyway the threads don't catch. I've just filled the hole with silicone sealant. When I replace the chain I may try to re-thread the hole and use a different screw. But it hasn't seemed to hurt anything. Thanx for your input it was very helpful!

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:55 am

I should of guessed that...
Sorry, but there is no idea to try make new threads in the thin aluminium swinging arm. It is M5 threads from the beginning, and I tried to make M6, but then there is only a few threads in the material, thus make the screw fall out (or in?!) again... Don't even think about to try it.
The best way is to let some good TIG welder fill the hole and then drill a new hole and make new threads, M5.

/M