Well it says KTM on the panniers...

Pictures or it didn't happen.
ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Well it says KTM on the panniers...

Post by ogden » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Strictly speaking, not a KTM. Not a twin. Not even orange. But it does still say KTM on the panniers.
quarter.jpg
Allegedly, the button at the top allows one to do 100mph with arms folded across chest.
IMG_20170311_163334.jpg
I can neither confirm nor deny.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc
City: Sydney
Year: 2016

Re: Well it says KTM on the panniers...

Post by NiteKreeper » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:09 pm

ogden wrote:Strictly speaking, not a KTM.
Splitter...

ogden

Post by ogden » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:25 am

There's still an orange tractor in the garage, where it's been since it conked out seven months ago.
IMG_20170311_163255.jpg
ogden

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc

Post by NiteKreeper » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:56 am

I'm not even mad that you called it a tractor. I actually like that it's a bit of a tractor...
I also see the distinctive round tail of a GSX in there.
You don't like getting rid of bikes either, do you...?

ogden

Post by ogden » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:17 am

I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the gixer when I bought the SMT. As great as the SMT is/was (on a good day), I liked the idea of still having something in the garage that'd do 180mph if I wanted to.

It was downgraded to trackday use when I got the SMT, and downgraded to ornament when I got the race bike (the red R6 lurking in the background). Now it has to go - I don't need the money but with the XR in the garage I do need the space. So I've just spent a couple of weekends putting it back to standard, punted the upgrades out on Ebay, and it'll be going on Ebay itself in a couple of weeks, once the weather's perked up and people are looking to buy bikes again.

Now I've got the XR I don't need the SMT either, so I'll either be getting that fixed before selling it, or flogging it to a mate who seems keen to take it as a non-runner. And then it's just a matter of time til I get drunk and buy an RGV250 on Ebay. Again.

Nature abhors a vacuum.
ogden

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc

Post by NiteKreeper » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:26 am

ogden wrote:And then it's just a matter of time til I get drunk and buy an RGV250 on Ebay. Again.
Aww man, we all been there - picked up a 1980 RD250LC on the cheap once, only to find it kept popping exhaust manifold gaskets on one side. Split the expansion chamber completely in one incident, pulled it down, and discovered that a LH piston was installed in the RH pot. That'll do it...
It was still in lots of pieces when it was stolen from my garage, strangely, but I like to think that bits of it were going around race tracks for a while afterwards...

eagle_awd
Supporter
Supporter
City: Windsor
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Post by eagle_awd » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:20 pm

Sweet bike, I've been eying S1000R for the last couple years and it's been itching me more and more :)

But then Duke GT looks very tempting as well ;)

Hallstar
Supporter
Supporter
City: Cullompton, Devon
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Post by Hallstar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:16 pm

I've been sorely tempted by an XR for a while now... too much electrickery for me though.

Out of interest, what is the outside width of your panniers on the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speed is compulsory, Limits are optional

We're not Gods, we're Englishmen, the next best thing

Real men ride twins

ogden

Post by ogden » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:57 pm

I've never been mad keen on electronics, quite happy with a manual throttle and no rider aids.

But it very much depends how the electronics are set up. On the Tiger Sport I tested, the throttle response had been tamed so much, even in the sporty mode, that it was almost boring. On the XR, even in rain mode it's immediate. The traction control and anti-wheelie happily let me lift the front in the pissing rain on Saturday, and hoist a proper minger over a crest, so it's not really that intrusive. The self-adjusting suspension is great if you're switching between solo/luggage/pillion, as I am on pretty much a daily basis, so no buggering about with manual adjustments. And the Sport SE model has Dynamic Pro mode, which pretty much turns all the aids off, so you can flip it or highside it as much as you like. But, like I said, even in Dynamic mode (one down from "everything off") it happily lets me hoist the front on the power.

And cruise control. Oh. my. god. where has it been all my life. 100mph with arms folded. Flick the button entering a 30 limit and stop worrying about cameras. Best thing ever.

As to the luggage, I'll try to remember to take a tape measure out next time I'm in the garage. It's narrower than the SMT with the same luggage, because it doesn't have two high level exhausts to avoid, but not as narrow as the OEM luggage, because the lids open upwards, so the boxes need to sit clear of the seat unit.
ogden