The most important introductory info!
Nick_n
125cc
125cc
City: Half moon bay
Year: 2010

My 2013 has arrived

Post by Nick_n » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 am

:o After a few months of searching for this exact bike, one finally popped up. Had to ship from the east coast to west coast, but Im glad I went through with it. Just rolled 7500 miles, stock besides crash bars, center stand, and recovered/foamed stock seat. Gave it a good wash/detail and will change the oil this weeked.

Have only had time to put about 50 miles on it so far, but it feels great. Been all over the forums reading about them for awile now, so I was interested to see how my initial thoughts compared to others. The fueling issue off the bottom people complain about dosent seem like a big deal at all. Maybe Im just use to riding all kinds of different bikes, but its plenty mangable.

Wind/turbulence at speed feels about the same as other “sport/touring/naked” bikes Ive ridden. I’ll probably pick up a taller shield to try out, but its not a must at the moment. Power, suspention, brakes all feel solid. Keep it at or over 4k rpms and the motors smooth as butter until redline.

Only thing Id like to look into replacing is the seat. Im 6”5 tall and Id like to be able to move back in the saddle a bit and not be pushed up on the tank. Any aftermarket companies make a taller/flatter seat? SMR seat? What tires are the hot ticket these days? 95% of the time Im on dry pavement.

Thanks guys, lots of good info in this forum.
Attachments
25291717-655E-4427-BCBC-780B2BCA542F.jpeg

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: My 2013 has arrived

Post by jhalfhide » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:56 am

Looks like that is an aftermarket seat. Maybe what you need is the original. The 13 original seat also has some nice orange thread which sets it off nicely.

Get those fork reflectors off ASAP and get some WP stickers on there.

As for the screen, bigger may not be better. The best screen by far is the adjustable Palmer Products screen. My 13 came with 2 screens, standard and the taller touring screen. The touring screen was worse than standard and created lots of buffeting and noise. The standard screen had wind blast but without the noisy buffeting. The Palmer gets rid of both.

That looks an incredibly clean example. Nice find and great bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Colour: Black

Post by Gimlet » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:31 am

Try any sticky sports tyre, it can do them justice. I ran Metzeler M7RRs on mine. Dunlop Sportmax are good but I found the Metzelers warm up faster and give more feedback. Never tried Conti Sport attacks but I know someone who rated them highly on the Superduke so they should suit the SMT.

If you want higher mileage than sports tyres try the Metzeler Roadtec 01s. I run them on an 1190 Adventure and they're superb. Not quite as barrel-in-water agile as the M7s but still no slugs and definitely feel as much sports as touring. Grip, wet and dry is outstanding.

I did try Dunlop Roadsmarts. They fine tyres and feel very at home on the SMT but I found them slow to warm and it was too easy to find the edge.

And make sure your suspension is set up correctly. You're a big bloke but unless you're over 18 stone you shouldn't need stiffer springs. The standard SMT suspension is excellent with plenty of adjustment. If you're not 110% happy with the handling, the set up is wrong. It should be telepathically good when its set up right. If you're not happy to do it yourself a pro set-up is money well spent.
I lifted the forks 10 mm in the yokes on mine to quicken the steering and get more weight and feel on the front wheel. If you've got the suspension settings right but the front still feels a little disconnected that is worth a try but given your height and the fact that you feel you're being pushed forward into the tank I doubt you'll have any problems with front wheel loading.

eagle_awd
Supporter
Supporter
City: Windsor
Year: 2011
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Post by eagle_awd » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:05 pm

That is great find....Very nice and clean bike. Congrats!!!

I'm also running M7RR's and next set will be same again...there just that good.

Nick_n
125cc
125cc
City: Half moon bay

Post by Nick_n » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Thank you guys, great info!

Cicsy
250cc
250cc
City: Glasgow

Post by Cicsy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:57 am

Beautiful is the only word for that.

They really knocked it out the park with the last of the SMT 's . Definitely the one to have.

I own the all black and think it's stunning, but that orange frame combined with the graphics and rim tape is just visually perfect for the bike.

Congrats on finding such a clean example but don't spend too much time looking at it these things were built for pleasure. :mrgreen:

crazyinp
675cc
675cc
City: San Jose
Year: 2015

Post by crazyinp » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:43 am

Why are you selling it? you just got the bike and already posted it on craiglist?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/ ... 99634.html
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R