50cc
City: TORQUAY
Year: 2011
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Greetings from Torbay!

Post by jimmy1uk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:32 pm

Hello all!

Just purchased a beautifully kept 2013 (2012 MY) SMT 990 which I am thrilled with! It has just covered 5000 miles and has the Leo Vince slip ons that have been set up very well on a dyno.

I have been pottering and getting used to it all weekend and have noticed the following...

1, The OEM Continental tyres will kill me if I don't change them soon! I assume by the mileage it is only on it's second rear so the front is probably original and very unnerving in the wet! :o

2, Back brake squeaks :lol:

3, The throttle is soooo sensitive it surges when I go over over bumps in the road, I am used to riding old Ducati's so it will take a little getting used too I suppose.

4, it is a very well engineered and thought out bike, love the comprehensive toolkit! :ugeek:

I will no doubt be getting involved with a bit of modding and general chat from now on!

Thanks for having me!

Cheers Jimmy

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Year: 2013

Re: Greetings from Torbay!

Post by jhalfhide » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:28 pm

jimmy1uk wrote:Hello all!

Just purchased a beautifully kept 2013 (2012 MY) SMT 990 which I am thrilled with! It has just covered 5000 miles and has the Leo Vince slip ons that have been set up very well on a dyno.

I have been pottering and getting used to it all weekend and have noticed the following...

1, The OEM Continental tyres will kill me if I don't change them soon! I assume by the mileage it is only on it's second rear so the front is probably original and very unnerving in the wet! :o

2, Back brake squeaks :lol:

3, The throttle is soooo sensitive it surges when I go over over bumps in the road, I am used to riding old Ducati's so it will take a little getting used too I suppose.

4, it is a very well engineered and thought out bike, love the comprehensive toolkit! :ugeek:

I will no doubt be getting involved with a bit of modding and general chat from now on!

Thanks for having me!

Cheers Jimmy
I'm on a 2013 too. You come from DucatiForum?

The OE Conti tyres are absolutely shocking. Get rid, you'll be happy with basically anything else.

Back brake, mine is great. It's started to squeak now it's getting a bit low but was squeak free for ages so is possible.

Sensitive throttle, you can adjust to some degree using Tune ECU but it would be a shame to fiddle with your custom dyno map. Have you had any other mods done (throttle cam mod, airbox mod, sas removed etc...). I've gone and done the works and it's transformed mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Post by Gimlet » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:52 pm

If you want sports tyres, go for M7RRs.
The throttle map can be fine tuned. Mine was done by BSD. They asked me how soft/sharp I wanted it. They can more or less mapped it to order. Mine did have SAS removed, 2nd flies retained. Don't now whether that makes a difference.

Dress the brake pads with some sandpaper, especially the leading egde. Use some Wurth brake paste on the back of the pads and clutch and brake silicon grease on the pistons and when the pads are gone get Corbone Lorraine from Moore Speed Racing.

And enjoy. :mrgreen:

You did the right thing not buying that Muntischiesser. ;)

jimmy1uk
50cc
50cc
City: TORQUAY
Year: 2011

Post by jimmy1uk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:50 am

Yes It is I! from the Ducati forum! thanks for your help fellas, the correct choice was made indeed!

Hallstar
Supporter
Supporter
City: Cullompton, Devon
Year: 2012
Colour: White

Post by Hallstar » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi Jimmy,

I'm up the road in Cullompton but can often be found at Paignton on a Wednesday night for BMAD!

I experienced all that you have mentioned and addressed them as follows.

1. Metzeler M7RR or Roadtec 01. Both absolutely brilliant tyres and suit the bike perfectly!

2. I regularly take my brakes apart and clean/grease where applicable.

Firstly- Tyre pressures. These bikes are pressure sensitive. Invest in a Draper Analogue Gauge with braided hose and brass fittings (Amazon @£15)- I had mine tested for accuracy and it was certificated at above 99% accurate.
35PSI F&R works for me on the above mentioned tyres.

Secondly- Go and see Steve Whittear at HEL Performance (Exeter) and have your suspension set up for you. Mine was so harsh it accentuated each throttle movement but Steves fine tuning transformed the feel of the bike.

Thirdly- Fit an RC8 throttle cam and take a trip to BSD. For me it was money very well spent and the throttle now is almost as smooth as any IL4 I have owned.
I did have a very slight surging point when holding 30mph in 2nd or 3rd. It was annoying for me as I train with RoSPA and maintaining a consistent speed during town work was becoming difficult. I dropped a tooth on front sprocket which raised the revs about 500RPM and sorted it out.

Happy to answer any questions or meet for a chat.

Pic whoring- just because!ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speed is compulsory, Limits are optional

We're not Gods, we're Englishmen, the next best thing

Real men ride twins