50cc
City: Norway
Year: 2011
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Buy barely used 990 smt "barn find"

Post by JoeyNOR » Wed May 24, 2017 10:05 am

Hi everyone,
After a lot back and forth on what bike to get, I am now aiming for a 990 smt as it seems to fit my criterias quite well!
I have found a handful of bikes, and also a couple of 2011 models which has less than 2000 miles on them, and mostly been sitting in a garage since new. One of them has not been touched service-wise in 3 years, but driven less than 200 miles in that time span.

I`m very tempted to buy a bike with low mileage, as i tend to ride 7-10000 miles in a good season. However, I have concerns about the lack of general maintenance and oil changes for such a long period. Of course it would need a full service etc before its being put in to use, but does any one else here have any thoughts on what the condition of such a bike will be after just sitting in a garage for so long? Anything to be aware of, or am I just overthinking this?

Cicsy
250cc
250cc
City: Glasgow
Year: 2010

Re: Buy barely used 990 smt "barn find"

Post by Cicsy » Wed May 24, 2017 12:16 pm

I would be very surprised if there were anything to worry about mechanically here even after a long lay up. Obviously drop the oil and change the filter. I'd check the tyres carefully before riding too and the chain if it's just been sat there and the fork seals.

linehand
125cc
125cc
City: northern CA
Year: 2010
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by linehand » Wed May 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Replace ALL fluids. Coolant, brake and clutch fluid seem to always be neglected. Good luck with the search, these are great bikes.

Terrified
125cc
125cc
City: Cheltenham
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Post by Terrified » Thu May 25, 2017 8:00 am

HI

I recently bought a low mileage bike. I've just spent over £100 on replacing the engine and other bolts. They corrode and ruin the look of the bike. It had been bought Jan 13 and sat in a damp-ish garage. So there are garages and garages if you get me.

The bike? I just can't believe how great the bike is. A playful, fun, dare I say 'practical' wheelie machine. It gets better and better. The extras, wings exhausts (Akra price is just stupid now) SAS blank kits bla bla all add up to a lot of cash. I'll be spending more on this bike than it'll be worth I expect!

Yesterday I took my wife out on it for the first time. She said she preferred being on the back of the 990 to the GSA! (2 1/2hr non stop ride, standard seat). I could use a cruise control device - the throttle is so sensitive, even after the 'Kevxx' Mod, that my RH wrist hurts after a couple of hours....Imagine I'll grow some more muscles to cope but a cruise device would be welcome for long days.

Excellent bikes, or it will be when I sort the fueling out. Everyone should have one.