The most important introductory info!
Cicsy
250cc
250cc
City: Glasgow
Year: 2010

Seriously not impressed

Post by Cicsy » Sat May 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Right here goes. The weather has been brilliant up here in God's country and Saturday in particular was for forecast to be the best of the week so to say I'd been looking forward to a blast toady was somewhat of an understatement.

Sure enough up at 6 a.m. and the Sun was spliting the trees. I had plans for some big miles with the new toy today and set off across some great b roads and headed up towards Campletown which If you've never been is one of the great rides Scotland has to offer. Set a steady pace, let the bike and tyres warm up, empty twisty roads, what could go wrong? Well bear with me as I vent my frustration through this rant and I'll tell you.

Petrol stations are few and far between on this particular stretch so I thought it wise to fill it to the neck at Arrochar just before the roads open up to the really good stuff. Pulled up, sat astride the bike and vented as much unleaded as the tank could possibly take, flicked down the side stand and.........CLUNK! The f####ing thing fell off onto the forecourt....... F##k!!!!

Now of course the only possible extra the previous owner hadn't fitted was a centre stand. At that time in the morning in the highlands its hardly surprising I was the only guy there so I picked up the proxy cheap metal pole and spring and pushed the thing over to the side. Despite my best attempts and various different techniques I was unable to refit the thing with one hand and support the weight of the bike with the other. All the time the attendant is looking daggers at me through the kiosk glass because naturally I'm unable to let the thing go in order to pay for my fuel. Fortunately after what felt like an age a delivery driver tipped up and I was able to get him to hold the bike upright long enough to at least go in and pay the now irate looking attendant.

I finally found something suitable to lean the bike against in the shape of one of those recycle bins. On inspection it looks like a bolt or retaining pin has somehow worked its way loose or vibrated out. After a full hour of begging various motorists for a poxy bolt I was able to acquire the only ten mill bolt in Arrochar albeit a 6 " long one which rattled and clanked against the exhaust so much I had to admit defeat and do a u turn. Within a half hour of my return home the Mrs had me out with the f###ing lawnmower. A good day totally wasted.

Now in all seriousness I find this totally inexcusable from KTM and very soon they will know my feelings as I fully intend to put them in writing. Is it just me or does anyone else believe it goes without saying that quality control should extend to something so fundamental as a stand which supports a couple of hundred KG? I'm sorry but this is the kind of thing I'd expect if I'd paid a couple of grand for a Chinese bike certainly not from an established European manufacturer. Now before anybody mentions Ducati I've had them too with the electrical gremlins etc but never anything so simple and basic as a side stand.

I realise people will read this and think" stop you're whinging s##t happens " but the reality is that inadequate design wasted what would have been a brilliant day for me and certainly dosent fill me with confidence for reliability if they can't even get the basics right.. .....rant over!

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Seriously not impressed

Post by jhalfhide » Sat May 06, 2017 11:05 pm

This on a 990? On a bike as little as 4 years old, it could have been any number of things. Rather than KTM, it could have been the previous owner hadn't refit it right after fiddling.

My old Ducati side stand was a horrible metal that looked like it could crumble at any moment. At least the 990 one is solid enough for me to not worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Post by limeyduffa » Sun May 07, 2017 6:48 am

Cicsy wrote:Right here goes.
Hi Cicsy, is Campbeltown near where that surfer got washed out to sea a few days ago ?.. Digression.. sorry :)

I've had two side stand incidents with KTM. On a hot 42C day when I owned my 06 Superduke. The spring assy broke when I put the stand down. Similar situation to you. Luckily I was in town (shopping centre), but dealing with shit like this on a 42C day wasn't what I needed.

On my SMT a few years ago, I went for a long ride and after the ride, inspected my chain, I noticed the sidestand bolt had screwed out (and was screwed in by about 2 threads). So, that was lucky !. If I had not picked that up, I would have been in your predicament. I loctited it with 243, and it hasn't budged since.

I think this is an important safety procedure for dealers to spanner check all major chassis and bearing fastners during major services (regardless of what the schedule says). My loose sidestand bolt was missed during the last major service a few weeks before. It should have been picked up then. I know that there have been a few deaths in the hills caused by mismalfunctioning side stands deploying when rider has tipped into a corner.

Oh and yes, and stop sookin ! :lol:

Cicsy
250cc
250cc

Post by Cicsy » Sun May 07, 2017 8:26 am

Yeah , I believe that guy was surfing off Machrihanish beach when he drifted off which is near Cambelltown yes.

24 hours later I can see the funny side but I can tell you now , KTM were left without a name yesterday as I went through my considerable swear vocabulary inside my helmet. It was just the timing that pissed me off on what would have been no doubt the best blast of the year for me.

It does make you think though. I mean what about things like foot pegs or brake linkages ? Has the same attention to detail been applied on items like this too? The bike wouldn't take a gear while it was off so there must be a sensor down there for safety reasons. Kind of defeats the purpose for me when it's designed so poorly it's even capable of falling off at all !

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset

Post by Gimlet » Sun May 07, 2017 9:37 am

On raucous buzzy twins nuts and bolts need to be checked, especially undamped frame bolts that aren't overly tight and bodywork screws etc. I've had battery leads come loose as well. They got thread-locked on. My SMT has gone now and I can't say I've ever had the side stand off so I may be thinking of a different bike but from memory doesn't the bolt that attaches the sidestand screw into a threaded bracket? Is it possible to extend that bolt and put a nyloc on the back of it? It'll never come off then.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Model: SMT

Post by Magic Wand » Sun May 07, 2017 10:21 am

"Cicsy"
I´m sorry for you, and the incident. Really bad timing for the side stand to decide to come off... :cry:
Most likely the previous owner didn´t tight the bolt(s) enough. (I think the rear bolt is attached into the engine case, just like the 2 in front.)

I´v learnt 1 thing about side stands; don´t you EVER leave the bike on the side stand until you have checked the surface carefully, AND also check the "angle" of the asphalt/concrete/or what ever surface it is.

My first bike was a Suzuki RF6000R -97, and the side stand on that bike wasn´t very well made. To much of tilting angle to the left. One better parked it in a slope!

I once pulled up a petrol station where the ground tilted to the right, and I thought it was perfect, because the bike was almost upright. I pushed the side stand down and went of the bike to fix with the VISA card and started to fill the tank to it´s neck.

Then... I almost shit in my pant...:
When tank filled the bike slowly just tilted to the right side.. and in a very small moment I really thought it was going to fall to the ground... But luckely I got a hand on the left hand grip just before the bike accelerated speed when just past the "balance point"!
My legs were shaking after that incident, and I thought of how many things would have broken IF the bike had smashed the ground...

/M

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset

Post by Gimlet » Sun May 07, 2017 3:12 pm

The side stand on the 1290 SDR is about 10 mm too long. You get used to searching the ground ahead for a low spot to set it down into when parking and turning round so its leaning with the wind and not into it.

Cicsy
250cc
250cc

Post by Cicsy » Mon May 08, 2017 11:43 am

Ok, not to be defeated and run the risk of wasting two concurrent sunny days in Scotland I'm happy to report a temporary solution was found in the shape of inch and half long high tensile bolt complete with nylock nut.

Not perfect but enough to safely retain the stand and allow it to function without fouling the exhaust. I've got to be honest I enjoyed more than a few lol moments yesterday and the bike went a long way to redeeming itself with its owner.

With new tyres still to go on and the suspension still to be dialed in this thing promises to be a real weapon. I've still to learn what the proper side stand fixing point looks like as I never paid it any attention until it fell off, so if somebody could oblige with a photo of theirs that would be appreciated

jmh
125cc
125cc
City: cambridge

Post by jmh » Mon May 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Just bad luck.

My sidestand was loose, but I happened to find out before it fell off as I checked it when I serviced it (checking all torques).

Not really KTMs fault, just one of those things. Just thread lock it back on. (when you get new bolts)

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Mon May 08, 2017 8:16 pm

"I've still to learn what the proper side stand fixing point looks like as I never paid it any attention until it fell off, so if somebody could oblige with a photo of theirs that would be appreciated"

I can create some photos whenever - but please, could you explain in detail what you want to see?

/M

Cicsy
250cc
250cc

Post by Cicsy » Mon May 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Magic Wand wrote:"I've still to learn what the proper side stand fixing point looks like as I never paid it any attention until it fell off, so if somebody could oblige with a photo of theirs that would be appreciated"

I can create some photos whenever - but please, could you explain in detail what you want to see?

/M

Hi, somebody else mentioned they thought the stand bolted into a bracket of some description. All I've done is thread a bolt through the holes drilled in the stand and the lug it lines up with

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Tue May 09, 2017 5:09 pm

I did some "snapshot´s" of the side stand on my 2010 SMT:
IMG_2324.JPG
The side stand unit and the bolts/nut.
IMG_2323.JPG
The rear nut is attached to a shaft/axle that goes from the engines right side, through the engine case and through the side stand and comes out on the left side.
(Notice, I replaced the nut to a self-locking one, but the shaft/axle is 2 mm to short.. :oops: I will replace the shaft/axle "later"...)
IMG_2322.JPG
I have replaced the front bolts to "in-Hexagonal head" ones. I trust it more than to use a socket on regular bolt head.
Note that I have put 2 thick plain washers between the engine case and the side stand in front, to make it line up better with the rear part of the side stand.

You are talking about some part which are threaded, and I am 100% sure that the hole for the bracket at the rear shaft/axle on the center stand is threaded.

/M

Cicsy
250cc
250cc

Post by Cicsy » Thu May 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi , many thanks for taking the time to do that mate. Ok now I can use that as a reference to see if anything's missing on mine. All I've done so far is put a bolt with a nyloc nut through the top of the stand as in your first pic (to the right of the spring in the pic) that looks like a pin of some description on yours . I'll have a check tonight and see where we are, thanks again.