Supporter
Supporter
City: Cullompton, Devon
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

SMT to GS?

Post by Hallstar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Have any of you changed, or thought about changing, your SMT for a R1200GS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speed is compulsory, Limits are optional

We're not Gods, we're Englishmen, the next best thing

Real men ride twins

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: SMT to GS?

Post by Gimlet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:54 am

Thought about changing it to an 1190 Adv. The GS was in the frame as well. Tried just about every big adventure bike out there and it came down to these two. The 1190 won it in the end because although the GS is so competent and so comfortable the 1190 is faster and more fun.

Or rather the 1190 would have won but I missed the financial window and now I don't have the money.
The 1190/GS were the bikes I was looking at when I bought the SMT. The 4K+ price difference and the fun factor swung it for the 990. That's an easy call for me to make because the SMT isn't my only bike. I bought it for a specific purpose. It doesn't quite meet that purpose but it turned out a winner in other ways so I've kept it and never regretted it. As an all-round only bike I think either the 1190 or the GS are better. Neither are nimble as the SMT but both are more versatile, more comfortable with greater low down power. The 1190 is nearly as nimble as the SMT with much more punch. Compared to the GS it has the pace and the wow factor. The GS has the quality feel, the neat design touches and the comfort. Its still no slug and it handles very well but the 1190 has the legs on the straights and through the bends.
I went touring on the SMT last year and realised that as an upright sports/tourer, which was the original intention, I was right the first time with the GS/1190.
I will buy an 1190 in a year or so or maybe a new 1290 Adv S. In the meantime I'll keep the SMT, look after it and keep riding it and it'll be worth what its worth. Its an upright back lane scratcher that wants to go everywhere flat out. Its not a tourer and I will end up replacing it with an 1190 or 1290S. If I can I'll keep it just for what it does best - tearing down back lanes catching cow parsley in my visor. For that, there's nothing better. But if I want to ride to Scotland or cross Europe every year then between the SMT and a GS/1190 there's no contest.

sabestian
Supporter
Supporter
City: Warsaw
Year: 2013

Post by sabestian » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Have a look in my intro post here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8602
GS (LC) was actually close in feel to SMT (which came as a surprise, I was expecting something more like a workhorse, like the old air cooled ones were). I was test-riding them not owning the SMT yet, so not yet biased ;) GS LC is light in feel, super stable susp, very competent everywhere, comfortable, fantastic wind protection for me, but lacks punch and power, bit boring (which can be a good thing when touring). There is a quality feel to every bit on the bike and the way it is thought through is fenomenal. Just... not to much excitement to the ride, for me this was the selling point of SMT, it makes me giggle :mrgreen:
2013 SMT Black Akra with Y pipe and baffles, some orange bling, no SAS, no 2nd flies, no EPC, no O2, MH airbox, short/std stack, modded Kev's #20 map, 16/41, Ergo seat, #19 pin dash hack, crash bungs, LEDs, KGR52, Scottoiler, Pirelli Diablo Rosso

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Post by ogden » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Hallstar wrote:Have any of you changed, or thought about changing, your SMT for a R1200GS?
Jesus, I thought I was pushing my luck with the XR, but talk like that will see a severed Krampus head appearing in your bed.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

SPL
50cc
50cc
City: Winchester
Year: 2016
Colour: Silver

Post by SPL » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Try the new Super Adventure 1290 S before you make your mind up.

I had a SM (non T) for a while and also had a GS (for 5 years) and a 1200 Multistrada for 3 years.

My SA-S has only covered about 650 miles so far but I think if combines all the best bits of the 3 bikes above, and is an absolute blast...

It is certainly NOT boring.

Hallstar
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Hallstar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 pm

I went out on a 2014 GS TE (LC) today.

I can appreciate why they sell as well as they do. Absolutely cracking bike and I dare say that I will likely own one- one day.

But it's not likely to be anytime soon... I keep falling in love with my SMT. It's just too much fun and a much more engaging ride than the GS

Real men ride twins

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010

Post by Gimlet » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:03 pm

If you are tempted, try an 1190 back to back with a GS before you do buy one. I rode them both twice but separately and in different conditions and couldn't make my mind up. Loved the comfort and distance-swallowing ability of the GS and the smooth and thrummy engine but I couldn't get past the performance of the 1190.

Then I had to take my Superduke in for a master cylinder replacement under warranty. They were busy, didn't know when they'd get it finished so they said leave it with us for the whole day and we'll give you a courtesy bike, which was a 2016 standard model 1190. Rode it all morning on all sorts of roads then went to a BMW dealer and took out a GS.
Lovely and comfy after the 1190 which had started to give me arse ache but when I took the GS back, if someone had dangled both sets of keys in front of me and said you can have one of these bikes to keep, which will it be? I'd have picked the 1190. The GS was nice but I was glad to get back on the 1190 and crack that throttle. After a whole day riding I didn't want to give it back, even if my arse was begging for a Touratech seat.
I wish they were still making it..

Random00
125cc
125cc
City: Los Angeles

Post by Random00 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:39 pm

I have owned both. I wouldn't do it. The GS is just...bland. It's GOOD at everything you could ask of it, but it just doesn't stir my soul the way the SMT does.

If you're considering one, I'd recommend you RENT one, and take it for an all day romp on your favorite roads on a saturday, then on sunday, do the same roads again on your SMT.

Then decide which one you want in your garage.

passiv
250cc
250cc
City: Bratislava

Post by passiv » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:09 pm

I too, am interested in this topic...
disclaimer : i've never ridden the GS
you say the GS is boring...although power/weight wise (we're not talking GS ADV here i guess) , it is similar to SMT. I think if you twist the throttle on the GS, it will give you just as much goosebumps as the SMT. (if you are casual rider, not the kind that wheelies out of every corner - or at least behaves like it on forums :twisted: )
nimble, not nimble...i don't know, non of these bikes seem like Versys 1000 train to me - Am I wrong and does the GS with 20kg more weight than SMT really feel that different?

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by jhalfhide » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:25 pm

passiv wrote:I too, am interested in this topic...
disclaimer : i've never ridden the GS
you say the GS is boring...although power/weight wise (we're not talking GS ADV here i guess) , it is similar to SMT. I think if you twist the throttle on the GS, it will give you just as much goosebumps as the SMT. (if you are casual rider, not the kind that wheelies out of every corner - or at least behaves like it on forums :twisted: )
nimble, not nimble...i don't know, non of these bikes seem like Versys 1000 train to me - Am I wrong and does the GS with 20kg more weight than SMT really feel that different?
It's not all about the numbers. Power to weight ratio only really works in a straight line.

Weight wise, it's not just a numbers game either. How the weight is carried has a huge impact to handling. How high, how even (front/back) and how it's transmitted to the road (suspension). The chassis itself also lends its hand in the recipe. Combine it all together and the SMT just 'feels' better on the road.

Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Hallstar
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Hallstar » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:33 pm

The GS is without a doubt a very capable bike, but for me it was just... bland.

The SMT is a much more engaging bike and I found I could tune into the bike a lot more than the GS would allow. The GS wants to do everything for you.

My SMT has Crash bars and centre stand which add some additional weight, but I found this to be in the bikes favour and in my preference.

OTR, I didn't feel any real difference in terms of weight, but the SMT chassis is better. It turns quicker and is more focussed than the GS. The throttle response is livelier too.

Test ride a GS and then jump on your SMT and -if you're anything like me- you will fall in love with your SMT all over again.

I refuse to trade mine now. Going to keep it until it dies, may consider purchasing a second one to store for the future!

Real men ride twins

Rockbyter
125cc
125cc
City: Durham
Year: 2017
Model: Adventure

Post by Rockbyter » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:00 pm

No one mentions the FJR! I had one for 9 years and they have improved now. My mistake was to test ride the Caponord 1200 and realised how much fun I was missing. FJR similar to the GS does everything just so well you forget you are on a bike at all. Probably a little more performance in the big Yamaha too.
Now going to the KTM because I think the V twin format has so much more character than an inline 4.

passiv
250cc
250cc

Post by passiv » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:03 pm

Rockbyter wrote:No one mentions the FJR!
sorry, how is FJR similar to SMT or GS?

if GS is bland in such way, that its throttle is easily controllable, then i might just sell my smt and update to GS.

I love SMT, but that does not mean i can not see qualities of other bikes.

Rockbyter
125cc
125cc
City: Durham
Year: 2017
Model: Adventure

Post by Rockbyter » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:33 pm

Put panniers and top box on the GS and the similarities are evident, both mile munchers with all the bells and whistles. No way similar to the SMT but neither really is the GS TE. Just my opinion but anyone considering the GS TE might want to look at all the options out there.

Random00
125cc
125cc
City: Los Angeles

Post by Random00 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:47 pm

passiv wrote:I love SMT, but that does not mean i can not see qualities of other bikes.
I agree. I can see the great qualities in other bikes.

When I called the BMW GS bland, it was probably the wrong word. It's a DAMN good bike. It's one of the few bikes that's GOOD at everything. But the downside, is that it masters nothing. When I had one for 2.5 years, I LOVED it! (but I hadn't ridden the SMT yet).

The SMT is the same way in that it's good at everything, but to me, it masters cornering/quick transitions. It's also a more "raw" feel. The BMW is so polished/refined, I don't feel as connected to the motorcycle, or the road. Hence the "bland" comment. The SMT let's me know what it's doing, and what the road is like, it speaks my language!

But this is just my opinion/thoughts. BMW sells tens of thousands of GS's every year. I'm obviously in the minority!

Emmjaydee
250cc
250cc
City: Stratford-upon-Avon

Post by Emmjaydee » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:41 pm

Trouble with the GS is it only has 'rain mode' power as the max ;-)

passiv
250cc
250cc

Post by passiv » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:43 pm

gs : 125hp, 125Nm
smt: 116hp, 97Nm

what are you talking about?

Emmjaydee
250cc
250cc
City: Stratford-upon-Avon

Post by Emmjaydee » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Comparing current with current not old with current,

That's what I am talking about :-)

sabestian
Supporter
Supporter
City: Warsaw

Post by sabestian » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:03 pm

I don't get it either, mate.
2013 SMT Black Akra with Y pipe and baffles, some orange bling, no SAS, no 2nd flies, no EPC, no O2, MH airbox, short/std stack, modded Kev's #20 map, 16/41, Ergo seat, #19 pin dash hack, crash bungs, LEDs, KGR52, Scottoiler, Pirelli Diablo Rosso

xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by xaotikos » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Air cooled GS was much slower than LC