New guy, ride reports, rant, mods, big V twins FTW!

The most important introductory info!
sabestian
Supporter
Supporter
City: Warsaw
Year: 2013
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

New guy, ride reports, rant, mods, big V twins FTW!

Post by sabestian » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:23 am

Hello guys (and gals??),

I had been riding my beloved Aprilia SL1000 Falco for the last decade. Totally rebuilt by me, Falco Fighter kit, Akra one sided exhaust, Renegade intake, racing chip, Mille rear swingarm and shock, Convertibars and lowered footpegs, lots of other mods over the years making it more powerful and comfier to my spine and wrists. Loved it to bits, it was raw, savage and never let me down. She did well on long journeys, commuting and during trackdays.
The idea of switching to something more comfortable (sporty Falco suspension!!!) and... modern got to my mind a few years back. And I wanted more in every aspect and I wanted the bike that could do it all plus a touch of light offroad. It was not and easy task to find a bike that would tick all the boxes.

So last year I test rode:
- Agusta Turismo Veloce (Small, poor suspension unstable over bumps, only reasonable build quality - seriously for this price?? Complicated computer display. Weak small engine. The dealer watched me turning all the traction control off with terror, he really thought it had a lot of power... I couldn't find it :lol: ),
- GS 1200 LC ESA (superb bike throughout, fantastic build quality and refinement, but the engine is weak and lacks character),
- XR 1000 (very fast and surefooted but could not stop yawning while riding - had to go super fast to feel any excitement - IL4 :roll: ),
- Triumph Tiger 1200 (boring, soft, big and heavy and the engine boiled my crotch. Great bike if you're 70 and going through Norwey over the winter - yes),
- Yamaha S10 (boring on pavement, very well balanced, heavy yet feels light, engine is mellow, weak-ish and super soft),
- early Aprilia Caponord 1200 without ADD (very good bike but with serious flaws, nice quality, engine seriously surging, ABS with proper ADHD, poor ride quality - needs ADD)...

Could not test ride the new Capo with ADD (I was especially interested in the Rally version) but the dealer was not interested in letting me test ride the bike, so screw them. Same story with the new Multistrada. And Triumph. Their loss. I'm not interested in buying if they are not interested in selling. :roll:
TBH I don't understand dealers. The only helpful dealer was BMW that let me test two bikes no question asked, just insurance. The rest I had a go on were difficult to source. Do they think they can sell bikes to us based on looks or what?? Kudos to BMW, I hope they earn millions with this attitude. Thumbs up!
I gave up. I thought that the bike I want does not exist at all. Or it is too expensive (the new Multistrada or 1290 Super Adventure?). I decided to mod my Falco even more... Then, by accident, I testrode a neglected SMT and holy crap was it a revelation! Super comfy position, eager engine, fantastic suspension and handling (like other-planet-fantastic), lightness all around and no stupid electronic gizmos.
Downsides? Pillion comfort only reasonable, palpable quality feel - not here, and WTF with these rusty screws? Rubber boots around the mirror stems?? Fuel cap??? :oops: Of course all these I can live with or address later on. I did not think twice and started looking for a good SMT.
Off course I wouldn't be myself if I did not dismantle it to bits and mod everything I could during the winter weekends. Somewhat weak engine had to be addressed. It felt eager but lacked grunt and punch low down (compared to my previous tuned Falco). Here great thanks to Kev!!! You need as much appreciation as possible for your astonishing work! It took me weeks to just read through your posts. So after loads of work I now own the 2012/2013 SMT Black (22 kkm on the clock) .

Mods:
Akapovic exhaust with Y pipe (fitted when bought, too LOUD!)
Fitted baffles and cut them to get a bit of bark back
Some orange bling (reservoir caps etc)
SAS removed block off plates fitted
2nd flies removed with all the bits
Motohooligan air box
Short + standard velocity stack
TuneECU: Kev's #20 map, O2 sensors, EPC disabled
new 16/41 sprockets and ZVMX chain
new oil (Motorex Power Synt 10W50), filter (Hiflo HF650), spark plugs
KTM touring screen
KTM gel seat
19th pin dash hack wired to high beam flasher button
Both mudguards extended
Crash bungs all around - I like to crash
LEDs all around apart from main - I like to be seen when I crash
Additional car horn - I like to be heard before I crash
Kappa KGR52 fitted directly to the rear plate (thanks zimm17) to pack to crash destination
Scottoiler
Pirelli Diablo Rosso

Still to do:
Auxiliary lights (and perhaps quality LED main)
mirrors (if I can be bothered)
engine screws when they rust to hell

I had a short go on it one sunny day and it rips now. Cold tyres - first gear, involuntary power slide, second - still going sideways, third - found enough traction to finally leave the intersection :shock: Barks, bites and flies! Fekkk yeah! This is gonna be fun. :twisted:

Still winter over here, waiting impatiently for a bit of weather to ride it!
Attachments
mod4.jpg
Scottoiler to front sprocket.
mod3.jpg
Pin #19 wired to high beam flasher.
mod2.jpg
Motohooligan, crash bung and Scottoiler.
mod1.jpg
Motohooligan, crash bung, SAS etc.
baffle.jpg
Baffle moded.
lidla.jpg
Gotta love black on black with touch of orange.
IMG_7397.JPG
My old girl...
DSCF6291a.jpg
This is how I'm gonna remember her forever :D
2013 SMT Black Akra with Y pipe and baffles, some orange bling, no SAS, no 2nd flies, no EPC, no O2, MH airbox, short/std stack, modded Kev's #20 map, 16/41, Ergo seat, #19 pin dash hack, crash bungs, LEDs, KGR52, Scottoiler, Pirelli Diablo Rosso

Cicsy
250cc
250cc
City: Glasgow
Year: 2010

Re: New guy, ride reports, rant, mods, big V twins FTW!

Post by Cicsy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Ok i'll bite first. :shock: Is that a Fkn great skateboard you have bungeed on to the side of that bike, and if so why ? Just why?

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:58 pm

Nice write up, you sure like to mod bikes. :D

sabestian
Supporter
Supporter

Post by sabestian » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Cheers, Kev. Do I like modding? I think bikes need that. Otherwise they are just half of what they were intended, aren't they?

@Cicsy
That's a longboard, the other sliding machine :D
2013 SMT Black Akra with Y pipe and baffles, some orange bling, no SAS, no 2nd flies, no EPC, no O2, MH airbox, short/std stack, modded Kev's #20 map, 16/41, Ergo seat, #19 pin dash hack, crash bungs, LEDs, KGR52, Scottoiler, Pirelli Diablo Rosso

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:59 am

:lol:

Cicsy
250cc
250cc
City: Glasgow
Year: 2010

Post by Cicsy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:22 am

Fair play fella :lol:

sabestian
Supporter
Supporter

Post by sabestian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:57 am

Had a quick ride. Bike goes like crazy above 4500 rpm (or 5000? I can't keep my eyes on a tacho and keep the this fekkin thing on the road at the same time, it goes sideways in third gear just keeping the throttle pinned!). It's not bad below either, but I feel there is more to get from it. I know it is not a torque monster like 1290 and I am not expecting it to be, it's more of a lightweight athlete then a strongman type of a bike. Still:

1. When I yank the throttle open, there is a hollow sound like it was not able to digest the fuel quickly enough :D I will play with the fuel ratios through TuneECU, will see if there is anything that can be helped. Add? Substract? How much? Any thoughts on that?

2. Slight jerking at a steady throttle when cruising at 3500-4500 rpm. Delicate but present. Not much more I can do with it without a custom map probably :) Don't want to fit a throttle tamer, not my thing.

3. Metallic resonance at around 3600 rpm. Like there were screws left in the airbox. I think I read somewhere about it supposebly coming from Motohooligan airbox? Is there anything that can be done about it? It's not terrible but the bike is so refined that this sound stands out in a bad way.

Seems like a custom map may address my "problems" and ultimately I will go that route when I find a reputable place and settle on the mods. I mean these are not problems at all, just a tiny leftovers from the original issues of the bike. But I already started the process of making a perfect bike and the inertia is working :lol:

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by jhalfhide » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:16 am

sabestian wrote:Had a quick ride. Bike goes like crazy above 4500 rpm (or 5000? I can't keep my eyes on a tacho and keep the this fekkin thing on the road at the same time, it goes sideways in third gear just keeping the throttle pinned!). It's not bad below either, but I feel there is more to get from it. I know it is not a torque monster like 1290 and I am not expecting it to be, it's more of a lightweight athlete then a strongman type of a bike. Still:

1. When I yank the throttle open, there is a hollow sound like it was not able to digest the fuel quickly enough :D I will play with the fuel ratios through TuneECU, will see if there is anything that can be helped. Add? Substract? How much? Any thoughts on that?

2. Slight jerking at a steady throttle when cruising at 3500-4500 rpm. Delicate but present. Not much more I can do with it without a custom map probably :) Don't want to fit a throttle tamer, not my thing.

3. Metallic resonance at around 3600 rpm. Like there were screws left in the airbox. I think I read somewhere about it supposebly coming from Motohooligan airbox? Is there anything that can be done about it? It's not terrible but the bike is so refined that this sound stands out in a bad way.

Seems like a custom map may address my "problems" and ultimately I will go that route when I find a reputable place and settle on the mods. I mean these are not problems at all, just a tiny leftovers from the original issues of the bike. But I already started the process of making a perfect bike and the inertia is working :lol:
I've got the ITG filter which is basically the same filter as you. I too, have the metallic sort of noise from the airbox. Sounds like someone with a tambourine but only lasts a moment and is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

sabestian
Supporter
Supporter

Post by sabestian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:25 am

Exactly, it's there for about 100-200 rpm on acceleration and deceleration. ITG is a foam filter, right? So the sound must be coming from the engine/intake, it is not the airbox issue. Interesting/slightly annoying,not a problem, really.

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by jhalfhide » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:11 am

sabestian wrote:Exactly, it's there for about 100-200 rpm on acceleration and deceleration. ITG is a foam filter, right? So the sound must be coming from the engine/intake, it is not the airbox issue. Interesting/slightly annoying,not a problem, really.
same filter really. Doesn't bother me much. Performance more than covers up for the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Nordic09
250cc
250cc
City: Helsinki
Year: 2011

Post by Nordic09 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Check the bolts with torque wrench. I mean all the bolts. My 2010 with 22k was having even clutch bolts loose inside the cover. Also the center stand almost fell off from other side. Motor do shake them loose.
KTM SMT 2010 (Rottweiler and map in, secondaries, SAS and O2 off)
ex Triumph Street Triple R 2013 (too little torque)
ex Triumph Street Triple R 2011 (stolen)
ex Honda CR125 1989
ex Suzuki RG125 1985
ex Yamaha YZ80 1987