The most important introductory info!
Cicsy
250cc
250cc
City: Glasgow
Year: 2010

Finally!

Post by Cicsy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:19 pm

After much careful consideration and pondering I finally got myself a nice 2012 SMT yesterday. Its had sensible additions including, heated grips, ktm belly pan, spot lights, all the luggage and all carbon mivv cans with corresponding map and sas mod done. The previous owner has had it remapped at BSD with a dyno read out which says 115 bhp and 70 ft torque. I must admit I thought that figure would have read significantly higher than that but I hasten to add its still feels plenty quick so all in all very happy. See below for picture of new joy machine. :D let me know what you think guys

Attachments
IMAG0463.jpg

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Finally!

Post by jhalfhide » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:37 pm

I only recently got mine (September). I opted for less optional extras but a 2013 with the orange frame. Heated grips, top box, panniers, crash bungs and a couple of little farkles.

You should look into a new air box if you want a few more horses. I have an ITG filter waiting to go on but need to find myself a decent set of exhausts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Cicsy
250cc
250cc

Post by Cicsy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi, not sure if I want or should I say need any more ponies rather I just thought that the cans and the remap alone would have added around 5 bhp to the stock figures. Ive only had a short blast so far and as I say it feels plenty quick as is for now.

xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens
Model: SMT

Post by xaotikos » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Stock is usually less HP on real wheel. 115 is a nice figure although numbers depends on dyno.. I have ~118 with DNA exhausts etc but on a Fuchs dyno, I'm happy with the results, I don't care about the number.

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc

Post by jhalfhide » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:54 pm

I've come from a faultistrada 1200 so it was a noticeable drop but it's just different. Feels a lot less torquey and more revvy

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Colour: Black

Post by Gimlet » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:29 pm

DSC00797.JPG
My 2010 with Leo Vince cans, Rottweiller airbox and SAS and lambdas removed was remapped by BSD Performance and gave 120 bhp at the rear wheel and 74 lb/ft of torque.

I've since changed the airbox to a stage 3 DNA and added an RC8 front velocity stack. It'll be going back on the dyno soon to check it doesn't need any tweaking. I don't expect the figures will have changed appreciably but the shape of the power and torque curves might have altered. It does feel meatier in the midrange.

Cicsy
250cc
250cc

Post by Cicsy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Agonised over you're bike for so long gimlet as its a really sorted example. In the end I opted for this one because it ticked more boxes than the rest for me anyway especially the ABS. Anybody who read my original post on this forum will remember I had quite a bad off with my last bike. Ever since , I've been convinced had it been equipped with ABS I might have saved myself a lot of pain.

I

Hallstar
Supporter
Supporter
City: Cullompton, Devon
Year: 2012
Colour: White

Post by Hallstar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:41 pm

Gimlet wrote:
My 2010 with Leo Vince cans, Rottweiller airbox and SAS and lambdas removed was remapped by BSD Performance and gave 120 bhp at the rear wheel and 74 lb/ft of torque.
Did the remap give any improvement on throttle feel?

Mine is a 2012 with Leo Vincent, IGT air filter, SAS/Lamdas removed etc. And one of Kev's maps.

When I picked the bike up it was REALLY snatchy, it was ON or OFF, no inbetween.

The suspension settings were completely off and upon having them set correctly, the throttle was noticeably improved as the suspension was set so hard it was accentuating the throttle response.

An RC8 throttle cam further improved the feel but it still has a slight snatch which I'm hoping could be dialled out on a Dyno

Thoughts?

Oh, what screen do you have on yours??

Speed is compulsory, Limits are optional

We're not Gods, we're Englishmen, the next best thing

Real men ride twins

jmh
125cc
125cc
City: cambridge

Post by jmh » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:16 pm

If you've not had your bike on a dyno and mapped properly, go do it. Well worth the couple hundred quid. Speak to the operator about what you want from it.

You will always have some snatchyness, it's just the on/off of the fueling on the twin.

But do go get it remaped properly, it'll be night and day difference.

That's a palmer products screen. Not the prettiest but super functional, well worth the money.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:32 pm

Got a Palmer screen on mine. It works. And I think it looks fine.
DSC00772.JPG

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc

Post by jhalfhide » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:39 am

I've added the palmer screen to my birthday list [PARTY POPPER]

125cc
125cc
City: METAMORA
Year: 2011

Post by 000 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:32 pm

Nice Bike...
I wish there were more guys over here in the states with the 990 SMT's they are pretty rare over here. I have a 2011 in White. Below is a link with some pics from a trip I took in the fall of 2015. with me are my my neighbor and an another friend both have Triumph Tiger 1050s (also pretty rare over here). Trip pics are mainly from the state of Missouri.

I have LeoVince cans on mine. Nice sound (stock made it sound like a Honda :lol:
Puig windscreen with Puig add on lip that helps with the wind blast for me 6' 01" tall

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/105 ... 7svw_evpeQ
Current Bikes
'11 KTM 990 SMT
'10 KTM 300 XCW
'09 KTM 450 XC-F
'08 Yamaha FJR1300
'08 KTM 530 XCW

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Hallstar wrote:
Gimlet wrote:
Did the remap give any improvement on throttle feel?

Mine is a 2012 with Leo Vincent, IGT air filter, SAS/Lamdas removed etc. And one of Kev's maps.

When I picked the bike up it was REALLY snatchy, it was ON or OFF, no inbetween.

The suspension settings were completely off and upon having them set correctly, the throttle was noticeably improved as the suspension was set so hard it was accentuating the throttle response.

An RC8 throttle cam further improved the feel but it still has a slight snatch which I'm hoping could be dialled out on a Dyno

Thoughts?

Oh, what screen do you have on yours??

Throttle is perfect on mine. Mark Brewin who mapped it actually asked me how soft I'd like it set. Didn't know you could fine-tune it to that degree. He set mine so all snatch was smoothed out by didn't soften it any more than that. Its just the right side of sharp so it still feels crisp but without snatching or hunting. In 1st gear you can pretty much ride off tickover without clutch on throttle control alone. Can't ask for more than that. But crack it open and the response is instantaneous which is how I like it.
TBH mine wasn't that bad to start with. On some 990 Adv which do get ridden off-road he's softened the throttle much more to make the bike more gravel-friendly.

A good dyno technician should be able set your throttle exactly how you want it.
Mark did test-ride mine a couple of times till he was satisfied the throttle response was just right.

Hallstar
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Hallstar » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:11 pm

000 wrote:Nice Bike...
I wish there were more guys over here in the states with the 990 SMT's they are pretty rare over here. I have a 2011 in White. Below is a link with some pics from a trip I took in the fall of 2015. with me are my my neighbor and an another friend both have Triumph Tiger 1050s (also pretty rare over here). Trip pics are mainly from the state of Missouri.

I have LeoVince cans on mine. Nice sound (stock made it sound like a Honda :lol:
Puig windscreen with Puig add on lip that helps with the wind blast for me 6' 01" tall

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170129/26497bef486f7f4be6b743934d914003.jpg[/img]
https://get.google.com/albu ... 7svw_evpeQ
Looks pretty much the same as mine!!

The Tiger Sport 1050 is the bike I'm contemplating changing my SMT for as it seems more refined for touring. Have you had any experience with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real men ride twins

Hallstar
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Hallstar » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:15 pm

Gimlet wrote: Throttle is perfect on mine. Mark Brewin who mapped it actually asked me how soft I'd like it set. Didn't know you could fine-tune it to that degree. He set mine so all snatch was smoothed out by didn't soften it any more than that. Its just the right side of sharp so it still feels crisp but without snatching or hunting. In 1st gear you can pretty much ride off tickover without clutch on throttle control alone. Can't ask for more than that. But crack it open and the response is instantaneous which is how I like it.
TBH mine wasn't that bad to start with. On some 990 Adv which do get ridden off-road he's softened the throttle much more to make the bike more gravel-friendly.

A good dyno technician should be able set your throttle exactly how you want it.
Mark did test-ride mine a couple of times till he was satisfied the throttle response was just right.
As I thought and hoped!

Are you the same Gimlet from SWB? Dorset based?

Bit of a trek for you to BSD, as it would also be for me. But it's definitely something to consider. Would probably visit MCT at same time

Real men ride twins

125cc
125cc
City: METAMORA
Year: 2011

Post by 000 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:22 pm

The Tiger Sport 1050 is the bike I'm contemplating changing my SMT for as it seems more refined for touring. Have you had any experience with it?

Triumph isn't bringing the Tiger Sport 1050 to the US- so no idea. I've read some reports on it and its a winner.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/firs ... irst-ride/
Current Bikes
'11 KTM 990 SMT
'10 KTM 300 XCW
'09 KTM 450 XC-F
'08 Yamaha FJR1300
'08 KTM 530 XCW

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:05 pm

Hallstar wrote:
Gimlet wrote: Throttle is perfect on mine. Mark Brewin who mapped it actually asked me how soft I'd like it set. Didn't know you could fine-tune it to that degree. He set mine so all snatch was smoothed out by didn't soften it any more than that. Its just the right side of sharp so it still feels crisp but without snatching or hunting. In 1st gear you can pretty much ride off tickover without clutch on throttle control alone. Can't ask for more than that. But crack it open and the response is instantaneous which is how I like it.

As I thought and hoped!

Are you the same Gimlet from SWB? Dorset based?

Bit of a trek for you to BSD, as it would also be for me. But it's definitely something to consider. Would probably visit MCT at same time

Yep that's me. :mrgreen:
There's only one Gimlet. I get about a bit. Yes Peterborough is a trek form our neck of the woods and its a crap ride. From Silverstone onwards its congested trunk road drudgery so I vanned the bike up.
I chose BSD because they've been mapping KTMs for years and they've done masses of LC8s and they know their stuff. Chris Steadman at CJS in Bristol has since done a few as well. He remapped AndyW's SMT from the SWB forum.
http://www.cjsracing.co.uk/dyno_ecu_reprogramming.htm

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:32 pm

000 wrote:The Tiger Sport 1050 is the bike I'm contemplating changing my SMT for as it seems more refined for touring. Have you had any experience with it?

Triumph isn't bringing the Tiger Sport 1050 to the US- so no idea. I've read some reports on it and its a winner.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/firs ... irst-ride/
I test rode the 1050 Tiger before buying the SMT. Really I wanted either an 1190 Adv or a 1200 GS but I was too tight to part with the necessary £10,000. I rejected the 1050 because TBH I found it a bit boring. Its comfortable and looks nice but its heavy. I used to have a 2013 Speed Triple and the Tiger feels a bit emasculated in comparison. It may be that the format encourages a different riding style but after the Speedy the Tiger had more the feel of a commuter bike.
The 1200 Explorer was better for similar money and doesn't feel as cumbersome as it looks. But its a complex engine and the earlier ones had a number of recalls for top end rattles and I'm not keen on shaft drive. Massive alternator though. You can run every plug-in gizmo and heated garment known to man simultaneously. Good touring bike but not as lively as an 1190 Adv or as all-round competent as a 1200 GS and feels like a hippo next to an SMT.

I actually liked the 800 Tiger much more than the 1050. It had more character and its wonderfully agile. But I wanted more power.
The 1050 Tiger is more comfortable and roomy than an SMT for touring purposes and while the engine feels less busy it doesn't have the same urgency and though it handles very well indeed it isn't as nimble as the KTM and the quality of the suspension isn't in the same league. Its a good bike though. Proven, reliable and well built. Pretty too.

I bought the SMT in the end simply because it offered the most fun for the money of anything I'd tried, but I agree it isn't an ideal tourer. If I could have my time again I'd stump up the extra while I had it and buy an 1190 Adv. But I don't regret buying the SMT. Although its not quite the tourer I wanted, it manages and its got under my skin in other ways with its characterful engine, sweet handling and simplicity.

Test ride a 1050 Tiger. It all comes down to personal taste. If you like it, it'll be a very solid machine.

Cicsy
250cc
250cc

Post by Cicsy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:30 pm

000 wrote:Nice Bike...

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/105 ... 7svw_evpeQ

Hi, thanks I really liked the look of the all black SMT but it looks cool in white too mate. I actually owned a blue 1050 the same as you're mates bike in the background of you're pic. Here it is at the Milau bridge in southern France last September.

I loved the tiger but unfortunately a few days after this was taken my beautiful Tiger looked a bit worse for wear due to the efforts of some careless ba***rd in an A4. My SMT is the replacement for the Tiger and I'm really looking forward to putting some miles on it shortly.
Attachments
IMAG0250.jpg

Cicsy
250cc
250cc

Post by Cicsy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:07 pm

[quote="000"]The Tiger Sport 1050 is the bike I'm contemplating changing my SMT for as it seems more refined for touring. Have you had any experience with it?

http://wwxw.motorcyclenews.com/news/fir ... irst-ride/[/quote

Can't speak for the sport but I did own the original tiger 1050 model and its a great bike for touring.

I've actually went the opposite way from what you're considering as I've just bought an SMT to replace my Tiger.

Having covered over 3000mls touring France and Spain I think qualifies me to comment on its ability for touring.

My bike was all day comfortable , solid and composed at cruising speeds and was certainly willing to up the ante whenever the mood takes you.

The triple engine is a cracker with loads of torque and can happily sit at 100 mph plus all day totally unfussed which is handy for those long motorway drags.

The only things I felt were lacking were poor suspension and lights, both of which have been addressed by triumph I believe on the sport .

I sorted both these issues on mine as soon as I got it and would happily recommend it. That said ive opted for the SMT now mainly due to the rave reviews on here and the fact it will only occasionally be used for touring.