Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: Finally!

Post by Gimlet » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:23 pm

I don't know why Triumph are so performance-shy. Why don't they make that triple poke out 150 bhp, which it could do easily? I'd buy another if they did.

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Post by ogden » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:36 am

I'm looking at a Tiger Sport to replace my old SMT as well. Had a go on a Tracer 900 at the weekend, but found the engine a bit too peaky (if actually fruitier than expected at the top end) and the bike generally too uninvolving to want to buy one. Struggled to keep the front wheel down with the mrs on the back too, which rules it out as a two-up tourer.

Do fear the Tiger will be a bit soft and heavy though - as always, what I really want is something like the SMT but with more power and a bit more stability at speed, but getting the latter will inevitably mean losing something down the horrible little wiggly roads the SMT excels at. So I'll be doing a test ride later this week, and probably try an S1000XR as well, just for comparison, since once I've added a few goodies (QS, etc.) to the Triumph I'm looking at the same money as a used BMW anyway, which will have all those goodies as standard.

Did find myself looking wistfully at low-mileage SMTs on Ebay last night, but can't bring myself to spend another five years dealing with the same reliability issues.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:18 am

Just get an 1190. Cheap as chips at the moment and they'll be a few trade-ins soon when the new 1290s come out.

The XR is an incredibly nimble chassis an the ride is velvet but they feel bulky next to a twin and the engine is peakier. Goes well but you need to recalibrate your brain to a four. I/Line four riders will wonder what I'm talking about; those who ride powerful twins like big KTMs or Ducatis will know immediately.
The XR probably has the best handling chassis of any upright IMO but to me it feels characterless. Incredibly competent but a bit dull.

ogden

Post by ogden » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Gimlet wrote:The XR is an incredibly nimble chassis an the ride is velvet but they feel bulky next to a twin and the engine is peakier. Goes well but you need to recalibrate your brain to a four. I/Line four riders will wonder what I'm talking about; those who ride powerful twins like big KTMs or Ducatis will know immediately.
Thing is, I'm quite used to both, and the combination of a GSXR-like motor in an SMT-like chassis rather appeals. I'm curious to see what it's like, and whether it's actually too quick for what I have in mind. One thing I liked about the SMT was it was as much fun at 85mph as the GSXR was at 130mph. But I liked having the top end of the GSXR on tap, which the SMT lacked.

The Adventure simply doesn't appeal, and the other big KTMs are too big and new/expensive. So the XR is a candidate - got a test ride booked for Saturday morning, which should tell me all I need to know.

I've got a test ride booked on a Tiger Sport tomorrow too. Kinda hope I really like it, because i think it's more what I'm after than the XR will be. But the XR has the outright power, and the toys, and I can get a low-mileage used one with a 24 month warranty for about the same money as a new Tiger, and get it quickly. I'll see how I feel come Monday. Either way, my wallet's about to take a beating.
ogden

Nordic09
250cc
250cc
City: Helsinki
Model: SMT

Post by Nordic09 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:58 pm

XR is very powerfull, but to me lacks the long travel suspension, and lazy torque of v twin low down (after smt mapping etc). Tiger was very top heavy, plastic echo from fairing, and triple was too linear with that power and felt breathless. Ducati Multistrada? New KTM 1090 is also very interesting, R model looks very nice but that was extremely high to my 5,9".
KTM SMT 2010 (Rottweiler and map in, secondaries, SAS and O2 off)
ex Triumph Street Triple R 2013 (too little torque)
ex Triumph Street Triple R 2011 (stolen)
ex Honda CR125 1989
ex Suzuki RG125 1985
ex Yamaha YZ80 1987

ogden

Post by ogden » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Well I've now had a go on the new Tiger Sport. Actually pleasantly surprised. Comfy, easy to chuck around, despite the high-up weight, and plenty of midrange with a lovely induction roar. Weird riding a bike with cruise control, and a bit fiddly to set up, but I can see that being a godsend on long journeys.

But no real top-end - it runs out of puff just when it should be getting going - and the delivery from the fly-by-wire throttle (even in Sport mode) is so soft as to almost feel like turbo lag. It takes a good second or so after whacking open before the power starts to build properly. The suspension felt over-damped on the kind of crappy little back roads that are the funnest of all fun things on the SMT. And it did feel very sensible.

I'm put off by the single-sided swinger and the high-level exhaust, simply on practical grounds. It needs a few goodies (including a quickshifter and maybe a suspension upgrade) to come up to scratch And it's not exactly beautiful to look at. But it'd do proper distance, and I'm sure I could happily live with it.

I'm really hoping I like the XR tomorrow, because it should have all the things the Tiger is missing. But if I find it too buzzy, or lacking low-down stomp, or just can't bring myself to buy a BMW, the Tiger will probably do the job.
ogden

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:57 pm

If you're accustomed to I/L fours you should love the XR. I haven't had a four for 25 years and even though I'm completely out of sync with fours it is a better bike altogether than the Tiger IMO. The brakes, suspension and chassis are a league apart.
I didn't notice any buzzing on the one I rode but unless its horrendous it can be tamed.
I rode into the XR test ride on an 1190 Adv and I was constantly in the wrong gear on the Beemer. More than once I had knock down two gears to get the propulsion needed for overtakes whereas the 1190 is point and squirt from nothing.
Not for me but undeniably a fine bike if you like them with lots of teeny weeny pistons screaming up and down.
Lets us know what you think.

Cicsy
250cc
250cc
City: Glasgow

Post by Cicsy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:49 pm

If you appreciate performance and handling you will forgive the XR for what it doesn't get right.
Comparisons are a tad unfair here imo. The Tiger is a very accomplished bike but truth be known the XR is in a different league due to the quality of the components which is obviously reflected in the price.

As you've pointed out a low mileage BM can be had for the price of a new Tiger . I'd be surprised if after test riding the XR you still opted for the triple, even if you do notice the odd vibration.

ogden

Post by ogden » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:55 pm

IMG_20170218_122355.jpg
Guess.
ogden

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:52 am

:mrgreen:

ogden

Post by ogden » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:00 am

;)

Knew within two minutes of getting on the bike I'd be buying one.

Feel sorry for Triumph really, and wonder who on earth would prefer the Tiger. The throttle response is laughable - rain mode on the beemer is still snappier than the trumpet in sport mode.

Now, anyone want a 14 year old gixer thou with a load of dents and scratches? Or an SMT that smokes like a beagle? I have two weeks to make space in the garage while the new toy gets checked over and the warranty fix applied to deal with the vibes.
ogden

Cicsy
250cc
250cc
City: Glasgow

Post by Cicsy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:38 am

Hmmm, thought so and congrats on the new bike. There's an utter clown on YouTube who has taken the trouble to do a vlog on his test ride of the XR. He spends the entire ride under 50 mph then says he's "so disappointed " at the end of it :lol: .

It's an adventure styled machine that essentially combines comfort with superbike performance. One of the mags put a racer on one and timed him round a track. They then sent the same guy out on the S1000RR and there was roughly one second between the times. That tells you all you need to know about the potential of that bike. Enjoy.