jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Considering an SMT

Post by jhalfhide » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Finally got to ride it today. It had been 3 weeks since the last time I put the battery maintainer on, and it didn't start :lol: Oh well, battery wasn't completely dead and it's been sitting in the freezing cold so I don't mind.

Defo need to do something about the screen, the air seems to be hitting me in the neck more than anything. Did about 50 miles, local roads were quite greasy so wasn't too exciting, just an excuse to fully charge the battery I suppose. Currently got the long baffles in the Wings exhaust and is far too quiet I reckon so they need to come out.
What is it with these touring screens now. They expect riders to be the stature of jockeys. I think having it hit in the chest can be better than it hitting in the head. Never had an issue on sports bikes and also never had an issue on the SMR with zero screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Post by Gimlet » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:02 pm

From what I read of the blurb I think the problem is these screens create and area of low pressure between the rider and the screen so that fast moving air pushed over the top of the screen is sucked downwards into this low pressure zone rather than being deflected over the riders head, creating a vortex of "dirty" air which is turbulent and noisy and constantly batters the rider's head or chest. The screen would have to be enormously tall to keep this vortex above your head.

The Palmer screen works by allowing sufficient airflow under the screen so that this low pressure area is neutralised, a vortex is avoided and proper deflection takes place and the wind blast flows more smoothly over the rider's head.
This theory seems to be born out by the fact that drilling holes along the base of the close-fitting KTM screens does improve things but they're still not on par with the Palmer.

Rick
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sonora CA
Model: SMT

Post by Rick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:15 am

Hi,

I like the bike in white. I noticed that you have removed the stock heat shields. I was wondering if you have run the bike with the factory bags on and the aftermarket exhaust. Any problem with heat and the bags?

Thanks
Irn-Bru wrote:Some pics:

Irn-Bru
125cc
125cc
City: NE
Year: 2020
Colour: White

Post by Irn-Bru » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:22 am

I didn't remove them, the previous owner did, probably because he never used any luggage, so can't help there sorry.

Buck49x
Supporter
Supporter
City: Zion
Year: 2015
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Buck49x » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:52 am

I have some stock sheilds

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset

Post by Gimlet » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:16 am

Rick wrote:Hi,

I like the bike in white. I noticed that you have removed the stock heat shields. I was wondering if you have run the bike with the factory bags on and the aftermarket exhaust. Any problem with heat and the bags?

Thanks
Irn-Bru wrote:Some pics:

Its the cats that generate the heat. Straight-through after market cans don't get anything like as hot as the OE catted cans. I've used hard and soft luggage with my Leo Vinces without heat shields with no problems at all.

In fact, when I bought a Kriega tailpack and some soft panniers, I rode the bike to Zen Overland where I was buying them to make sure I was buying something that I could make fit. It was an hour's ride, some of it stuck in slow traffic, and when i got there I could bear my hand on the cans. If the luggage had come into contact with the sleeves of the cans I doubt it would have come to any harm. Avoid contact and keep luggage out of the direct exhaust stream and I can't see you'll have any problems. I've never fitted the stick-on heat shields to my Trax hard panniers either and they're fine as well.

Rick
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sonora CA

Post by Rick » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:35 am

Awesome! Thanks for that. I have a similar setup with my SMR but haven't actually tried it with luggage attached.

oldf4rt
250cc
250cc
City: Skipton
Year: 2011

Post by oldf4rt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:06 pm

My bike is fitted with (de-catted) Akras and no heat shields with the standard KTM semi hard panniers with no problems at all. Interesting theory that the cats could make a difference - makes sense.

Irn-Bru
125cc
125cc
City: NE
Year: 2020

Post by Irn-Bru » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:43 pm

When I had the stock exhaust on my 690 SMC it got so hot it melted through my bike cover :oops: Never any noticeable heat with the akra it's got now. Catalytic converters need to be roasting hot to do their job properly.