250cc
250cc
City: Bratislava
Year: 2011
Model: SMT

new SMT decision process

Post by passiv » Mon May 02, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi,
first let me introduce myself to the forum : I'm 26 years old from central Europe, currently riding kawasaki zr7. (no track days, yet, mostly trips 200-300km, very reliable at its 40k km - i'm changing only oil on 12000km).
I'm having this bug in my head of buying another bike, because I'm 194cm tall and my back hurts after a day on my current bike (i hope taller bike solves this issue).
I also want to be able to go on a longer trip, sometimes 2up. I've never been offroad, so i don't consider adventure bike.

I think i've narrowed down the possible bikes to KTM SMT. I have test ridden 2010 model for a while and i found it very nimble and light, also the seating position is less cramped than on my current bike.
On the cons side, in low revs it was shaking a LOT (coming from japan four), also i could feel the rear wheel blocking everytime i downshifted - doesnt add much confidence.
Now what i can't seem to decide which model year i should go for. (there is a difference of approx 1000euro)

so AFAIK the differences between model years are following
2009 : base
2011:
+ABS
+12V socket near ignition
+updated rear subframe (old one tends to snap with topbox on)

2012+ has:
+preload adjuster (useful for 2up?)

So i have a deal to get the 2010 version, with LeoVince exhausts Givi topbox, original soft sidebags, crash bars, with only 10,000 km on it (but it stayed in garage for last 2 years) for 7500euro.
Stalking the market i think i could get 2011 version without the extras for the same 7500euro.

Another questions :
1.is it possible to lower the pegs and rear brake/shifter levers (link to a kit would be awesome)?
2.is motard seat suitable for everyday use and travel? is it comfortable for pillion?
3. reliability - 7500km service interval is a bit often, i've read some of you have constantly had some minor faults here and there - can you say this generally for all models, or are these issues fixed in 2011+ models?

Now, is the newer model worth it?
(i need to justify the expenses :D)

Thanks for info!

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Re: new SMT decision process

Post by Bootworks » Wed May 04, 2016 4:43 am

At nearly 2 mt tall you're looking into the right kind of motorcycle. I'm partial to the newer ABS model for all the obvious reasons, and with Europe's newest requirements it's likely to be the better investment.

The LC engine will be happier at higher revs, I find mine to come alive around 4,700rpm, no shaking. Typically, under 4,000rpm the engine will not be as happy.

The stock seat is crap, but there are economical options. The transmission is lovely, it may take some adjustment downshifting, it's a different animal than a Japanese IL4. Don't know of an option to lower pegs (I'm 25 cm shorter) but perhaps a seat pad (such as a sheepskin cover) may help with both the crap stock seat and the reach to the pegs/foot levers (Add a few cm to the triangle.)

7,500 Km services are simple (and cheap) oil changes. Valve check intervals (more expensive) are considerably longer. The valves and seats seem to settle in, so it will (likely) forgive you after the first one.

Fun bike, reliable and competent. Good luck!

Yoozy
Supporter
Supporter
City: Extreme Mancunian.
Colour: Black

Post by Yoozy » Wed May 04, 2016 6:35 am

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Might feel a bit soft and weird at first but once you get used to it you'll love it.
A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM

passiv
250cc
250cc

Post by passiv » Wed May 04, 2016 9:43 am

Thanks for the inpu!

i now have following offers (i'll try to point out the differences):
2010 model, 10 000km, 7500euro :
- LeoVince exhausts
- crash bars
- Givi Maxia topbox + aluminium rack
- textile side bags

2012 model, 3 000km, 8500euro :
- Akrapovic exhausts
- heated grips
- ABS
- 12v socket on dashboard
- updated rear shock
- updated rear subframe
- updated engine (no need to do valve check at first service - the first big service at 7500km was not done yet)

I'm also leaned towards the 2012, because fuck it :twisted:
what do you think?

Nickhk
500cc
500cc
City: Hong Kong
Year: 2009

Post by Nickhk » Wed May 04, 2016 11:35 am

Agreed with you ... go for the "fuck it" option !

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver
Year: 2012
Colour: White

Post by adcolor » Mon May 09, 2016 6:56 am

2012. Nicer stock features. Less distance on the bike.
Original bags look good, but not worth looking for. There are better options out there. And, I am not a fan of top boxes (weights all wrong, plus, they weigh too much empty).
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

passiv
250cc
250cc

Post by passiv » Mon May 09, 2016 10:59 pm

Today i've seen the 2012 bike. It indeed looks awesome, but some things caught my eye - passenger handlebar was loose on 1 bolt, or broken...can not verify, didnt see it properly because of exhaust. The handlebar itself didn't look scratched or somehow damaged by a crash.
Other, maybe bigger issue that caught my attention was, that on brake caliper bolts, there originaly is a yellow marking (at least it was on the 2010 i saw. I believe this is due to warranty - if you mess with your brakes, it will not be repaired under warranty), now on this bike the yellow marking was only on the caliper, not the bolt (or it was misaligned). He said the bike has been on a track and maybe something in the brakes was changed due to dust.

is it ok to mess with brakes on a bike with 2600km?
The db killer was completely black - is this normal?
Also this is the second owner - he has imported the bike from france - is there a way to check odometer values while the bike was registered in france?

Other than that the guy looked pretty solid.
And I think the 2012 was vibrating less than the 2010 (can exhaust make such difference? mapping?)
Maybe I worry way too much, but i'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to money :)
(sorry i suck at the technical terms - i hope you can understand it :) )
Thanks!

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver
Year: 2012
Colour: White

Post by adcolor » Tue May 10, 2016 1:02 am

Can't comment on the import issue. Track days as in racing, or track days as in rider improvement? I wouldn't worry the yellow paint on the caliper. Some folks have had problems with warped rotors. Track days could have been hard on the pads. Or, if I remember correctly, you have to pull the calipers to change the front tire?

Inspect for the missing bolt. It may have just vibrated loose. I have one missing on mine for another part.

The engine could well have been remapped. Ask. Two owners, so hard to know. Probably why the tip of the exhaust is black.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Post by Bootworks » Tue May 10, 2016 3:46 am

Many motorcycles will have fasteners marked once torqued to the correct specs, it's a reference point, not to worry.
Some KTM fasteners will strip or become loose easily, that passenger's grab handle may require a second look, but it wouldn't deter me from buying that particular bike. I'm looking for evidence of a crash, lack of maintenance and expensive consumables that will need attention shortly; And even those can just be negotiating points. As someone here pointed out, the seller is often a good clue. Trust your instincts.

Perfection is expensive, even a new (warrantied) motorcycle is not perfect, someone has done that for you. Once you find the right opportunity and the motorcycle passes inspection, pull the trigger. "Analysis Paralysis" can kill the right deal and miss the opportunity.

And that's all I'll say about that.

passiv
250cc
250cc

Post by passiv » Tue May 10, 2016 7:47 am

adcolor wrote:Track days as in racing, or track days as in rider improvement?
Improvement i guess...he is racing cars, bike was just very rare fun.

I'm gonna pull the trigger. (i will ask for one more ride when i'll have money with me to make sure the frame is not bent and the motorcycle goes straight with hands off handlebars as this is most crucial point)

ScoobyZ
250cc
250cc
City: Portsmouth
Year: 2013

Post by ScoobyZ » Sun May 15, 2016 11:03 pm

Also have a look here for lower pegs:

viewtopic.php?t=5450

I'm tall and this made a nice difference to me.
"Dad is it true Orange bikes go faster?"....."Cause it is son....cause it is!"