900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Re: Newbie in Australia

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:18 am

Cool :). After 4 years ownership of my bike brand new, my bike is up for it's 30k service. I flog it when it gets ridden though ;)

r0bb0mc
500cc
500cc
City: Melbourne
Colour: White

Post by r0bb0mc » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:28 pm

As my SMT gets closer to 5yrs old and over 90,000 Klm's on the clock, I decided that I need a run around bike for daily duties and small trips. That way I can keep my SMT prep'd for weekend rides and longer trips.
I went to the local Yamaha shop and test rode the MT09 and XSR900. These bikes get great online write ups and seem to be good bang for buck. Everybody is saying how great the suspension, brakes and power of these bikes are. After an hour of riding these I left the store gob smacked at how crap the bikes are compared to the SMT. The salesman tried telling me I should just step up to a Tracer. I just shook my head. The Tracer has the same skinny little 41mm forks as the others pffftt. Thanks but no thanks.

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:18 am

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Post by ogden » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:44 pm

r0bb0mc wrote: I went to the local Yamaha shop and test rode the MT09 and XSR900. These bikes get great online write ups and seem to be good bang for buck. Everybody is saying how great the suspension, brakes and power of these bikes are. After an hour of riding these I left the store gob smacked at how crap the bikes are compared to the SMT. The salesman tried telling me I should just step up to a Tracer. I just shook my head. The Tracer has the same skinny little 41mm forks as the others pffftt. Thanks but no thanks.
I've been toying with a Tracer 900 to replace my SMT, and getting rid of my old gixer at the same time, as I never ride it and it just costs me money and garage space to keep for another year. Haven't ridden one yet, and I'm expecting it to be underwhelming, but the price of a "good" replacement (S1000XR, SDGT, etc.) is ridiculous, so I'm lowering my sights a bit, albeit on the assumption I'd add at least a quickshifter and some aftermarket bouncy bits to drag it up to scratch.

So I popped in to my local Yam dealer to see what they had, and check out a test ride. After asking me what I had at the moment (990SMT, GSXR1000, and an R6 for racing), and what I intend to use the bike for (commuting, continental touring with pillion, and the odd bit of weekend scratching) he suggested I might like the Tracer 700, and offered me a guided test ride to the nearest motorway through urban 30 and 40 limits so I could "really get a feel for what it could do".

At which point I walked out. I mean, really. What the actual fuck?
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:05 pm

I get to ride quite a few Tracers as I reflash the OEM ECU's & personally don't like them mainly the suspension, I don't think I could have ever swapped my SMT for one, the SMT is so hard to replace there is not much out there to match the bike on price & ride ability.

ogden

Post by ogden » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Yeah, I assumed the stock suspension would come as a shock after the WP/Ohlins/Maxton/K-Tech on the current bikes. Easily sorted though - 1500 quid sees new cartridges and springs at the front, and a new shock at the back, which is easily amortised over a few years of ownership.

Trouble is, I just can't see a reasonably priced direct replacement for the SMT. I don't want an Adventure or Multistrada; the SDGT and S1000XR are way over budget - not that I can't fund it, I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a toy; the other european options aren't up my street; and the Japanese alternatives are either hideous, uninspiring, or both.

But, all that aside, I was just staggered by the dealer's attitude. Did he really think he was going to make a sale like that? Rule one is knowing your customer, surely?
ogden

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:26 am

Would agree the sales man was way off target. :?

My 2016 MT09 has every know mod thrown at it + a whole lot more I have not revealed to anyone as I found the Yamaha forums not so friendly & tend to keep my mods & finds to myself these days. I will be getting a 2017 MT09 in April & will move over all my mods from the 16 model to the 17 model.

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Post by limeyduffa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:29 am

Kev, how could anyone not be friendly to you ? :D

My SMT is a keeper. Pops the front end out of every intersection with barely a twist. Loud and attention seeking and not too bad in the twists (although I like a smaller wheel base). At 30k she is still loosing up. The only issue I've had is some coolant problems, but like my bike, I hate hot weather. I would never get a bike bigger than 1000cc. My rule.

r0bb0mc
500cc
500cc

Post by r0bb0mc » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:52 am

Yeah Ogden, I know exactly what you mean about some bike salesmen. Most of the local ones here are like that. Idiots.
Kev, I preferred the MT09 over the XSR. I'm sure yours is pretty trick and goes well. I did consider going back for the MT but the special price he offered was only for the colour I didn't want. I ended up leasing a car instead and just race the SMT to work every day. In 2.5 years time my child support and car lease finishes, so I'll be buying something top shelf, like a 1290GT ;)
I've got over 90,000 Klm on the SMT now. She's still going strong, no smoke and no probs, so I'm sure she'll last for another 2.5 yrs no worries.

ogden

Post by ogden » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Completely different experience at Triumph and BMW dealers. Walked in to one, phoned the other, arranged a test ride, and when I turned up they just took a photocopy of my licence and threw me the keys.

Sensible policies for a happier Britain. And the BMW pretty much sold itself within seconds. What. A. Machine.
ogden

chrisRR
500cc
500cc
City: Dunedin
Year: 2017

Post by chrisRR » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:17 am

kevxtx wrote:Would agree the sales man was way off target. :?

My 2016 MT09 has every know mod thrown at it + a whole lot more I have not revealed to anyone as I found the Yamaha forums not so friendly & tend to keep my mods & finds to myself these days. I will be getting a 2017 MT09 in April & will move over all my mods from the 16 model to the 17 model.
That's a shame, not sure why the Yamaha forums would be like that. Lots of us would love to know what mods your doing to sort the MT-09 out - I've got my eye on a 2017 model also...

r0bb0mc
500cc
500cc

Post by r0bb0mc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:49 am

A bit sad that i had to sell my SMT but happy it was bought by a guy who has previously owned SM\SMT's. I do have a spare fuel tank for sale. It's un used, comes with screw on fuel cap and decals. No fuel pump (of course). $300. pick up melbourne. Have it on ebay at the moment.

KTM990 SMT Fuel Tank https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2852654324