250cc
250cc
City: Oakland
Year: 2010
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

howdy kids

Post by Motoproponent » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Just got the SMT a month ago. I'm about to go explore some of northern california's worst (for sportbikes) roads.

New to KTM, but not new to riding.

I live in Oakland.
If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

beyond
500cc
500cc
City: Guildford

Re: howdy kids

Post by beyond » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:43 am

Welcome :)
You always have a choice

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:56 am

Welcome mate.

Electrified
250cc
250cc
City: Houston

Post by Electrified » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:25 am

Welcome aboard the crazy train! :twisted:
Steve
2010 SMT-990 ORANGE
Wings Exhaust, G2 Throttle tamer16T sprocket, California Scientific Smoke Touring windshield, 47L Trax side cases, Givi top case

Motoproponent
250cc
250cc

Post by Motoproponent » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:31 am

By the way this is what the White on White looks like.
BoFax2.JPG
Bolinas-Fairfax Road on the coastal foothills

Motoproponent
250cc
250cc

Post by Motoproponent » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:41 am

And the road out of Hawthorne NV
DSC_0077.JPG

Rangoonruns
990cc
990cc
City: Wolverhampton
Colour: Silver

Post by Rangoonruns » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:31 am

Welcome happy new year

and the bike looks all white to me :D

Don
250cc
250cc
City: BOLOGNA
Year: 2011

Post by Don » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:14 am

Welcome!

The SMT is alzo my first KTM and I believe it's a great Bike!

KTM SMT & Ducati Hypermotard Evo

White Knight
675cc
675cc
City: Victoria
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by White Knight » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Welcome. You live in motorcycle paradise as far as I am concerned. LOVE Northern Cali roads!

Motoproponent
250cc
250cc

Post by Motoproponent » Sun May 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Well as it is bound to happen, I got into a little scuffle with an SUV and a Tanker truck. I came out unscathed but the bike fared much worse. Now that our beloved SMT is no longer in the model line up all the White parts are discontinued :(

So I got a mix of 2012 and 2013 model year black parts.

I'll post up pics when I get her all back together.

Stay tuned.

Motoproponent
250cc
250cc

Post by Motoproponent » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:59 pm

67000 miles later. Still digging the SMT.
Attachments
IMG_0451.JPG

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by jhalfhide » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:19 pm

Motoproponent wrote:67000 miles later. Still digging the SMT.
MMmm... ice cream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Motorpropnenent:

It would be nice to hear what services you have made and problems (if any) that did occur during all the 67000 miles :-)

/M

Motoproponent
250cc
250cc

Post by Motoproponent » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:32 am

Magic Wand wrote:Motorpropnenent:

It would be nice to hear what services you have made and problems (if any) that did occur during all the 67000 miles :-)

/M
At 3000 miles I crossthreaded the shit out of the fitting for the oil tank return line when I did my first oil change. I had a buddy that got a pretty killer employee discount at the dealership so rather than pay $200 for a thread repair kit that included the necessary bits for a 14mm repair, I got a new oil tank for $450.

At 18000 miles the chain tension adjuster bolt seized in the swingarm. It broke. I had to take the swingarm to a machine shop and have the old adjuster drilled out. Now every time I pull the axle out to change tires I pull the adjusters all the way out, clean them and give them some generous amounts of ant-seize compound.

At 30000 miles the clutch slave cylinder gave up the ghost. This is the only upgrade I have made. I got the KTM Twins replacement with a lifetime guarantee.

At 36000 miles I replaced the water pump. It didn't need to be replaced but I was about to go on a 20 day 5000 mile road trip to Chicago and back so I did it for piece of mind. Everyone had been telling me that I was riding on borrowed time with that thing, so I pulled the trigger. It was pristine and really looked almost identical to the new one, so I still have it as a spare.

At 42000 miles the Clutch Master Cylinder gave up the ghost.

At 47000 miles the plastic on the front brake reservoir got brittle and broke off.

At 55000 miles the ignition wore out and the voltage regulator popped smoke.

I've had to replace the o-ring behind the gear position sensor 3 times now. Anytime the bottom of the motor has a bit of a glisten to it , it's the first place I look.

I just put my 4th chain on last week. I played with the gearing a bit as sprockets needed replacement. I went down to a 16T front sprocket for a short time. I was hoping to alleviate some of the chain slap during roll-on passes on the freeway and what not. It was not effective. I went back to the 17T stock size the next sprocket change. I took the rear down to a 40T to see if I could get the engine RPMs down a bit during freeway cruising, but it made very little change in my MPG or Tank Range.

This is my Third gas tank also. One was replaced by an insurance settlement due to crash damage, the other suffered some deformity from ethanol fuel here in California. KTM was super easy and replaced the deformed one under warranty with hardly any fuss.

This bike does not live an easy life. While it sleeps in a garage everynight, it sits in the parking lot of the Oakland Seaport while I'm at work every day. The acid rain from all the diesel exhaust is pretty corrosive to the stock torx fasteners. As they rust I've been replacing them with stainless steel allen head cap bolts. This has made it much easier to have a more complete tool kit as there aren't as many torx tools needed. To be honest though, I use my tools on other peoples bikes on the road much more often than on mine. Having tools that work with more common fasteners found on Japanese bikes makes me a better roadside angel :) In the daily Moto vs Cage Commute skirmishes this old war horse is a battle hardened veteran. It has proved incredibly resilient as it has run up against an SUV, and Tanker Truck, and has come to rest on other-than-its-tires-and kickstand several times, yet it starts and runs every time. After it was run over by the tanker I was still able to ride it, even though it would not shift out of second and was leaking from the rear brake, to the shop for the repair estimate. Bottom line is it's a tough machine. Basic maintenance (regular oil changes, chain and sprocket care, coolant changes, brake fluid and clutch fluid changes) will go a long way to keeping it on the road and being reliable.

I have found that the Continental Trail Attacks are my favorite tire. I get it dirty on some unimproved roads and ride in torrents regularly. The Trail Attacks provide decent grip in the dirt, great grip on wet pavement and I can still heel it over pretty far on dry pavement when the going gets twisty.

I added a set of Denali D6 LED Aux lights. They are easy to wire up with the included relay. I did have to weld some extensions onto the Twisted Throttle mounting kit for the lights as the big square Denalis don't fit between the fairing and fork tubes. When I turn them on it looks like some one is welding on the front of the bike. I can't really have them on as a regular thing. It like bringing the sun with you though when you're in the middle of the desert and it's night time on some desolate road. They're also very effective at searing the retinae of people that cut me off in traffic. :twisted: I have them wired to an "arming switch" on the dash and then they come on with the high beams when armed.

I added a top case pretty early on. It's a Krauser 47 liter K-wing. That upped the touring ante pretty well. Between the top case, stock side bags, and KTM Tank bag, I can carry enough to ride to Chicago and back on Route 66 for 22 days. The top case is pretty much a permanent fixture. I use it daily to carry my gear for work and still be narrow enough to split lanes.

My only advice to an SMT owner that hasn't had one this long is don't buy stock replacement rear brake pads (get some good sintered semi metallic so it wont squeal), put anti-seize on the chain adjuster bolts, and make sure any replacement rear sprocket you get has the little raised ridge to keep the oval shaped buttons that act as nuts, to hold the sprocket on, from spinning. I got a KTM replacement that didn't have it, and my swingarm bears the marks of what could have ended in disaster. Turns out that a long ride will heat up the rear sprocket enough to degrade the adhesive characteristics of a thread locker.

Everything that has ever broken was replaced with OEM (except the clutch slave cylinder).

;)

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm

Post by Magic Wand » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:57 pm

G R E A T information Motoproponent!

I´m sure many people appreciate that you took your time to write all this down :)

Thank´s!

/M

Richard Griffiths
125cc
125cc
City: Portland
Year: 2009

Post by Richard Griffiths » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:16 am

Very informative stuff. Thanks ! :D

Motoproponent
250cc
250cc

Post by Motoproponent » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:56 am

I still have that oil tank with the buggered threads.

Anyone want it? It a low pressure fitting so a helicoil would totally fix it.

Motoproponent
250cc
250cc

Post by Motoproponent » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:05 am

So at 73000 miles the clutch pushrod seal popped smoke.

I'll report back when and how I get it fixed. 😐

Motoproponent
250cc
250cc

Post by Motoproponent » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:56 pm

it was much simpler than I thought.

pull the clutch slave cylinder

There's a little cross pin on that end of the pushrod. it's just a press fit so support the pushrod against whatever direction you apply the force to pull it out. I used a long screwdriver between a spot on the frame and the footpeg to support the pushrod and taped it up from the bottom with a little brass tack hammer.

On the right side of the engine pull the clutch cover and pressure plate. The pushrod pulls right out.

carefully wiggle out the old pushrod seal from the center hole with a screwdriver. Don't mar the bore that the seal sits in by trying to pry it from the side with a pick.

Put the pushrod back in to align the new seal. Tap it in with a light hammer and a 13mm deep well socket.

Make sure to note the direction the old seal comes out so you can put the new seal back in the correct direction. There is a front and a back. Its a directional seal.