Orange... I think...

The most important introductory info!
bfg
City: London
Year: 2010

Orange... I think...

Post by bfg » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Just went and had a long test ride at the KTM Centre in Hemel Hempstead (Jason and co were awesome). I even had a run in a 990 Adventure with Akras for some contrast.

I loved everything about the bike - except that sensitive throttle... While it got better with a bit of practice, I really struggled to be smooth at low speeds... and considering I have a 7 mile commute in central London I need low speed smoothness... Will Akras and possibly a throttle cam really fix this? Seems such a shame if thats the only problem...

/bfg

LouP
250cc
250cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2009
Colour: Silver

Re: Orange... I think...

Post by LouP » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:55 am

Hi there , If you want the bike to behave like a commuter, all you will need is throttle cam and a 16T frount sprocket. I put on a throttle cam in the first month and found this gave great control without diving or lifting that you wre probably experiencing, recently I put on a 16T sprocket and this helped with low speed traffic type riding with less need for clutch. I tried this out by not using revs over 4000 and it behaved like a commuter bike, I normally tend to keep the revs at 4000+ in the sweet spot. But be carefull when twisting your right wrist as the frount wheel lifts easily with the lower gearing. :o Not sure about Akra,s effect though. :?: hope this helps.
Leo Vince Cans, 16T sprocket, Throttle cam, Rad Guard, Skid plate, Crash bars, Axle protectors, Tall screen, LED Tail light, Custom seat, Soft panniers,Top box, Tank bag, 12 volt outlet, Fender Extender,Skidmarx hugger, Scottoiler, And a wish list.

bfg

Post by bfg » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Well I went and did it... I ordered my very own SMT!! The KTM Centre made me a deal I couldn't refuse, so I'll be picking it up on October 2nd! :D

I went with a standard orange bike, with akrapovic pipes, alarm, scottoiler, and orange rim tape... I can't wait!

Any running in tips?

/bfg

bfg

Post by bfg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:32 pm

Picking the bike up in the morning... Stupidly excited!!

/bfg

jonty
900cc
900cc
City: Downpatrick

Post by jonty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:52 pm

Re Throttle Snatch

Yes, the throttle is very direct indeed, but TBH its a feature of fuel injected twins or singles.

If you have ever ridden a single cylinder dirt bike you will have experience of using the clutch to smooth the response.
That`s exactly what you need to do with the SMT.
Spending a fortune on new exhausts, throttle cams, oxygen sensor elimiators, power commanders, and dyno time to me simply sounds like playing into the hands of the aftermarket junkies, and sellers who want to take you hard earned to fix a "problem" that is really simply a characteristic of this type of bike.

Learn to ride around it.
This isnt a refined Jap in line 4, its an angry spitting european twin dressed up in a practical package.

I dont want my SMT neutered.
I like it just the way it is and I cope fine in town by simply using the clutch and back brake, and not letting the revs drop too low.
Keep her in and around 3,500 to 4,000 rpm and she`s grand.
Use the gears and clutch with rear brake to moderate speed - the bike with be a smooth as can be one you learn how to do it.
Saves a few quid as well.

bfg

Post by bfg » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:11 am

jonty wrote:Learn to ride around it.
I couldn't agree more - after 520 miles I'm still not silky smooth but thats part of the fun for me!

As a recent convert from cars to motorbikes my analogy is thus - would you rather have a Honda NSX, which, yes, is supremely capable and quick - or the snarling, recalcitrant beast that is a Ferrari F40? I'd rather have the latter - a machine I have to learn, I have to master, I have to work with to get the best out of - and that's KTMs. If you want squirt and go smoothness - go buy a maxi scooter.

/bfg

jonty
900cc
900cc
City: Downpatrick

Post by jonty » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:35 pm

The bike is getting a little smoother as the running in miles are going on, especially at lower revs.

I find the snatch/surge is more noticable around town at very low speeds [esp starting off from junctions] in lower gears.
Tried a little experiment last night on the way home from work - I trickled in a higher gear at 2-3,000 rpm slipping the clutch a little if required.
As it was in one gear higher, it wa far less sensitive to minute throttle inputs.
Seems the LC8 engine copes a little better with a few miles on it.

Less of an issue travelling at 50-60 on the opn road when keeping the bike "on cam" at around 4,500 rpm gives lovely smooth instant drive.

I think the problem that some people have with the SMT is , it looks like it should be as easy going as a Honda Varadero , what with the screen, luggage rack and big tank, but in reality it is a nutter wearing a sensible suit.