The most important introductory info!
SPIKEZ
50cc
50cc
City: Malibu
Year: 2010

Potential SMT owner with a few questions

Post by SPIKEZ » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi....I live in the U.S. California...I've ridden motorcycles since I was 15 YO and hope too till the day I die. Owned mostly BMW's, except they've become so damn expensive and problematic, I refuse to replace my last K bike ('96-K11RS sold in '07) with anything they sell these days. Currently riding a '07 TR-Sprint ST....but the riding position is getting to me.

Test rode the SMT about a week ago and got the biggest damn grin on my face....can't seem to get rid of it either :D This bike is an absolute blast to ride...under any conditions...with the possible exception of heavy cross winds, which wouldn't deter me as much as annoy me. So far I've gotten the dealer down to $14,000.00 out the door and am still grinding him.... 8-)

I'm very impressed with the bike, but not thrilled with the service costs that have been quoted to me. I haven't been able to find anything here or on the NET that confirms if there are others doing their own valve adjustments. As I understand it, you don't have to pull the cams to change out shims....but I'm looking for confirmation on that issue. And am hoping to find others who can clue me in on the adjustment....if they do it themselves????

Would appreciate anyone who has done their own valve adjustment letting me know what they experienced would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
I should point out that at my age I'm pretty much looking at this next bike as being my last and riding it into retirement. One of the things that attracted me to the SMT was it's overall simplicity....I just hope that proves to be as true with the valve adjustments.
Malibu, SOCAL

jwt67
125cc
125cc
City: st paul

Re: Potential SMT owner with a few questions

Post by jwt67 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:48 pm

I watched the technician do my 600mile service. The cams do need to come out to switch shims if needed. That being said here are 3 things he mentioned:
1. The cams are driven off an intermediate gear that is driven by the chain. So no messing with the chain, just remove the bearing caps holding the cam and lift the cam out, real simple.
2. The shims are the same size used in several other makes of bikes. The Harley V-Rod, som Rotax motors... And a few others. If you look around at the other KTM forums they are listed. There are also some nice write ups on how to check the valves on other KTM forums. It appears to be very straight forward.
3. The technician told me he found very few LC8 motors with valves out of spec.

Hope this helps.

John

Cookie
250cc
250cc
City: York

Post by Cookie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi Spikez,
Cant say that I have done the valve clearances as yet and probably wont while its still under warranty, but my understanding also is that you dont have to pull the cams on the LC4 or 8 series motors. If you are feeling brave you could ask on www.ktmforum.co.uk, there are lots on there doing their won maintenance. Just be prepared for the British sense of humour!

DC

SPIKEZ
50cc
50cc
City: Malibu

Post by SPIKEZ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks for the reply Cookie.....

After looking at the numbers of those who've read this post, I'm beginning to think there aren't many....if any that do their own wrenching on their bikes. Obviously during the warranty period we're all going to be biting the bullet and paying the dealers to do the service.....oh well that is always a good idea to maintain warranty.

I will check out the site you recommended......I had already registered at the http://ktmtalk.com/index.php
but have found the site not to informative about the SMT....course I may be missing something about their SEARCH function....which doesn't seem to work for me....yet! The site seems to be pretty tied up with rules and restrictions that kind of boggle the mind....so I'm trying to wad though it and see if I can find any info. there. Have to admit that I'm more inclined to like this site simply because it's model specific. My old K11 had a site that was model specific and I still pop in there every now and then cause the people are so friendly. This site reminds me of that one....can't say the same of any of the other KTM sites I've reviewed....any other recommendations about sites or owner wrenching will still be appreciated.

Thanks
Malibu, SOCAL

ninja man
125cc
125cc
City: Winchester
Colour: White

Post by ninja man » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:23 am

Hi, Spikez.
The KTMforum.co.uk is well good for information on the LC8 engines.Loads of peeps do there own spanner work. The 990 Smt is the same servicing and maintenace as the ADV,SM etc only minor specs, but the methods are the same.Don't be put off by the weird sense of humour cos underneath they are pretty good lads really with a mine of information. Hope this helps........if not.......tough shit :lol: